ISU/Iowa thoughts

BryceC

Most know I'm an ISU fan, I've been saying all offseason that I thought Iowa would win and I still do. Reasons:

1. Richardson, despite a good stat line really looked bad the first few quarters. He never got comfortable. Most of the sacks he took were his fault IMO by being indecisive. If he can't play better no chance to win.

2. I'm concerned about the run game between the tackles as Iowa made hay there against the other ISU. I'm concerned about that.

ISU has a few areas they can exploit, one being the receivers which they didn't utilize because Richardson had no touch on his deep balls. Again, he has to play better.

ISU spent all offseason saying they were going to switch to a 3-4, I didn't really believe it, but they ran it pretty dang well on Saturday. If they can slow down the interior run game, I think they can mix stuff up with some interesting blitzes at your young tackles and hopefully take advantage.

You can sort of throw out the stats against UNI. The field position game was really bizarre due to UNI's punter being so bad and ISU's punter being good. Also, UNI didn't have any deep game so ISU basically sold out blitzing and stopping the run. ISU doesn't appear to have a run game again, but again there were some injuries on the o-line and Burton is listed at day-to-day so hopefully he plays.

Couldn't say exactly what will happen but I still tip the scales to the hawks.

I was going to watch the Iowa state -UNI game last night but I don't get the channel it was on apparently. So I can't really say how I think the game next week will turn out but I will say Iowa looked a lot better than I thought they would on offense and defense. I know its an FCS team but many posters on here, myself included, were afraid it would be close or even a loss. I think both fanbases will be high on their respective team going into the cy-hawk game

The clowns are a step down in competition from week 1 for Iowa. Iowa is much to strong up front for the clowns. Iowa's starting secondary is strong, they will negate the clown receivers who will not be getting open at all. The clown QB won't have time to throw it anyways. My pick is Iowa 34 Clowns 6.

UNI looked pretty inept on offense, that appeared to be mostly their fault. Their QB didn't want to throw the ball. Hard to judge how good ISU's defense actually was.

Agree that ISU's WR are their biggest weapon, hopefully King/Mabin can keep them in check, and the front four can have another great day of pressure.

I didn't see any of the UNI/ISu game, but I think ISU will win a another close one against Iowa. Ferentz has always seemed clueless when it comes to beating isu. My buddy who is a clone fan told me on Friday that he thinks Iowa will win. Iowa did look good Saturday, but it was vs an FCS team.

Clown talent is a step down from the best fcs/1aa teams such as Illinois State. NDSU, and UNI in their good years beat the clowns. If the clowns were to play Illinois State this year they would lose.

Its hard to take anything away from the first game for both teams. You don't know how good the FCS teams ISU/Iowa played actally are. I think ISU looked a little better on defense than they did a year ago. But I also think UNI has offensive issues.

UNI won't be near as good this year. I expected ISU to handle them. David Johnson was simply a HUGE percentage of their offense. I remember seeing the percentage and thinking "holy ****", but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Illinois State will be an FCS playoff team. After seeing how Iowa played against them I'm pretty confident going into next week. Both ISU and Iowa did what they were supposed to do, but Iowa played the better opponent. I'll predict an Iowa victory 28-17.

In typical fashion with a 17 point lead, KF and Davis kept the lid on the vertical passing game. It was all short route stuff and limited vertical patterns. CJ did miss a few guys though when he decided to go with the underneath stuff on a few plays.

I'm not really sure how good the offense is yet...that was definitely a positive experience yesterday. Any time your defense is that dominant against anyone...you should feel pretty good. Roberson is no slouch and we had guys coming at him all day long. We also had guys flying to the football everywhere. It's an FSC team, but a damn good one...much better than UNI on both sides of the ball.

If Iowa comes out playing aggressive and not to lose on offense...we win. If we revert to pounding against a 9 man front...ala last year...we are in a dogfight.

D

One last thought...ISU is going to come out with the short passing game and not have Richardson hold the ball. Just as teams do with Iowa, we have to play 5 DBs more and jump some of those routes. If Ott proves he can pressure the QB on almost every play...similar to yesterday...we have to start being more aggressive on the short routes. Last year...ISU dinked and dunked and minimized our advantage on the DL. We have to counter that with speed and playing more DB's who can make them pay.

Come Phil...time to change things up and get aggressive.

The clowns are a step down in competition from week 1 for Iowa. Iowa is much to strong up front for the clowns. Iowa's starting secondary is strong, they will negate the clown receivers who will not be getting open at all. The clown QB won't have time to throw it anyways. My pick is Iowa 34 Clowns 6.

I'm sorry that you were bullied in school and ignored by your dog.

Iowa 37
ISU 14

You can bet this will be a tough game for whoever wins it. They've given us fits the last few years. We've gone in there with a Big Ten Championship team before and got our butts beat. It's a dog fight every time we play them. Saying all of that I feel this is our year to win. It's payback time. Go Hawks

ISU probably wins. Rhodes knows if he wins this game he'll be back next year as this will make it a successful year no matter what else happens.

I'm guessing the opening line will be something like iowa -6. Nobody really saw the isu game and iowa had highlights all day during halftime of other games on espn and ABC. I'm assuming the public will favor iowa

As always though I'd stay clear the hell away from betting the line in this game

I've posted this every year. Last time.

[video=youtube;8NjVdoFNSCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjVdoFNSCY[/video]

This is a prove it to me game for KF. This first game against IL-State showed me a lot but I-State has been a nemisis for KF even when we have had the better team. They just have an emotional edge/chip in this game and we seem to continually wilt under pressure.

I actually would like our chances against a better opponent where we can play the underdog/spoiler role.

So again, this is the second checkpoint for me regarding KF. Win this one and get my full support the rest of the season. It's time to win one even if we are not the best team this season.

This is a prove it to me game for KF. This first game against IL-State showed me a lot but I-State has been a nemisis for KF even when we have had the better team. They just have an emotional edge/chip in this game and we seem to continually wilt under pressure.

I actually would like our chances against a better opponent where we can play the underdog/spoiler role.

So again, this is the second checkpoint for me regarding KF. Win this one and get my full support the rest of the season. It's time to win one even if we are not the best team this season.

Iowa is a little bit better than ISU this year. Better run and pass balance, little edge in off line and Dee lines, etc. ISU maybe better short passing game.

But Iowa was much better than ISU last year and lost at home as you all know by playing passive.

If Iowa goes in there like 2013 and plays good defense and balanced offense with tough run game they will win.