ISU football selling points

I kind of feel bad for "U". You know his life hasn't been an easy one. Examine why he's at an isu game

I don't think that was his point. I think his (and correct me if I'm wrong, Bryce) is that like Cubs fans, ISU fans are there more the party and to hang with friends and booze it up than they are the game. They're there for the experience.

That's what I was getting at, and I didn't intend to compare trice to wrigley. I apologize if I have that impression. I also want to say if you were actually offended by the comparison you are taking things way to seriously.

The only way for ISU students to get season tix to hoops is to buy season tix for football

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=899231

They also have a smaller stadium...and tailgating is a holy grail for a lot of folks; only seven saturdays a year. Even if it's not a great product, it can still be a great time.

By the way, that is smart marketing, IMO

Iowa State has always done it this way, even when basketball really sucked. I think it is only noteworthy if Iowa State students wouldn't use their football tickets, but they do.

I can't believe that the scum over at ISU make students buy basketball tickets before they can buy football tickets. If I remember correctly didn't ISU students get turned away from multiple games this year because the student section was over capacity?

Oh, so they did factor in the momentum and they're still #4? My bad, didn't look into poll criteria.

I think our marketing department is weak sometimes. They I look at the stuff that comes out of Ames and it's beyond laughable.

bush league.

So why does it seem like Iowa's marketing department is always doing stupid things? Like tying a student season ticket purchase to a chance at winning free tuition BEFORE checking the legality of it? Student tickets took a 3000 ticket hit from 2012-13, and despite winning 8 games a year ago, they're not even going to sell that many this year.

So why does it seem like Iowa's marketing department is always doing stupid things? Like tying a student season ticket purchase to a chance at winning free tuition BEFORE checking the legality of it? Student tickets took a 3000 ticket hit from 2012-13, and despite winning 8 games a year ago, they're not even going to sell that many this year.

2 different (though related) issues

-The marketing department needs to look at it's personnel. (code for, somebody needs to be canned) The Red & White (and blue) poms for Wisconsin + this = somebody needs to go. They've got their heads where the sun doesn't shine in a job that a lot of people would love to have. (translation: you can draw better talent for that job)

-student tickets are down most everywhere. The discussion of why is an ongoing one. My assertion is $$ (I think student tickets should be cheap, never an empty seat) + a generation that would often prefer to watch it on TV.

2 different (though related) issues

-The marketing department needs to look at it's personnel. (code for, somebody needs to be canned) The Red & White (and blue) poms for Wisconsin + this = somebody needs to go. They've got their heads where the sun doesn't shine in a job that a lot of people would love to have. (translation: you can draw better talent for that job)

-student tickets are down most everywhere. The discussion of why is an ongoing one. My assertion is $$ (I think student tickets should be cheap, never an empty seat) + a generation that would often prefer to watch it on TV.

I think they're trying as far as the marketing goes. Last year was the first time I heard radio ads for Iowa football here in Des Moines, and this year they're doing radio ads and also took out a full page ad in the Register 2 or 3 weeks ago when single game tickets went on sale. So they're trying.

Student tickets are 175 bucks a year, which equates to 25 bucks a game, which is less than half of what the school is charging everyone else for even the Ball State game. Student tickets are cheap.

Student tickets are 175 bucks a year, which equates to 25 bucks a game, which is less than half of what the school is charging everyone else for even the Ball State game. Student tickets are cheap.

That is not cheap. They were less than $100 when I was there. Based on revenues of the athletic department and the fact that intercollegiate athletics are a putative extracurricular, student tickets should be free. They are at Northwestern. The students shouldn't have to subsidize the athletic department and a certain roughly $4 million salary. That is truly a transfer payment from one of the poorest segments of society to a very high earner.

That is not cheap. They were less than $100 when I was there. Based on revenues of the athletic department and the fact that intercollegiate athletics are a putative extracurricular, student tickets should be free. They are at Northwestern. The students shouldn't have to subsidize the athletic department and a certain roughly $4 million salary. That is truly a transfer payment from one of the poorest segments of society to a very high earner.

i think student tickets were $6-$10/game in the late 80s early 90s. but i can't remember what a regular ticket cost at that time to do your % comparison.

i think student tickets were $6-$10/game in the late 80s early 90s. but i can't remember what a regular ticket cost at that time to do your % comparison.

Student tickets were $10/game in the late 90's, so we are talking about a 6.5% annual increase. This is about 3 times as much as the 2.4% annual inflation rate from from 1999. If tickets were tied to inflation the student tickets would be $15/game today.

I dont have an opinion one way or the other, but that is the difference.

Student tickets were $10/game in the late 90's, so we are talking about a 6.5% annual increase. This is about 3 times as much as the 2.4% annual inflation rate from from 1999. If tickets were tied to inflation the student tickets would be $15/game today.

I dont have an opinion one way or the other, but that is the difference.

Bingo. General public tickets certainly aren't 2 1/2 times what they were 15 years ago.

It's simple. Iowa fans want wins and that's what sells tickets. Iowa State fans wants to be part of an atmosphere they have deemed "special" no matter how **** poor they play. They could go 0 for the century and if they're voted top 10 best game day atmospheres they would talk about how awesome they are.

Even Cubs fans aren't as delusional as ISU fans.

It's simple. Iowa fans want wins and that's what sells tickets. Iowa State fans wants to be part of an atmosphere they have deemed "special" no matter how **** poor they play. They could go 0 for the century and if they're voted top 10 best game day atmospheres they would talk about how awesome they are.

Even Cubs fans aren't as delusional as ISU fans.

LAmes isn't top 100 best game day experiences unless you like concrete. Everywhere concrete.

Latest posts