ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

Anyone who really believes that Iowa State is a legitimate top 5 team for next year is pretty naïve. Your reply makes me think that your worried about how the Iowa State recruiting is going. You got to remember that it is only a basketball game. It really isn't that important.

I am 100% confident hoiberg will recruit in a way that will put a competitive team on the court. What that looks like over the next 18 months I have no idea.

And no, I don't think ISU is a top 5 team. I think they are about a top 15 team heading into next season.

Regardless I can't see why I would be worried about an ISU roster 2 years from now with hoiberg at the helm. His rosters are fluid to say the least.

Look, I read here daily and typically don't post. Maybe most of you forgot this but I sat in Carver and watched them throttle us on our home court. Most hawk fans left the game 5 minutes into the second half. Stop talking like Iowa is even close to the level of ISU right now. The preseason ranking is way inflated but it is based on who the writers know is coming back. The blue bloods could loose a ton of players to the NBA. When that is resolved they will drop outside of top 10.

You're right, we're not close to the same level. We can actually make it out of the first round.

Just my 2 cents -> once all the recruiting classes finish up, i think ISU will fall out of the top 10 in most polls. It's mostly based on what we have coming back (the "known") vs the "unknown" of the teams that haven't yet signed all their recruits. Personally, as long as we are ranked all next year, I'll be happy :)

As for recruiting, I am concerned about what the team will look like in 2 years with the lack of 4 year players. While we are "transfer U", the 4 year guys have always seemed to be the "backbone" of the team that provides the consistency in allowing the transfers to come in and prosper. But CFH has earned our trust via his history in putting teams together, so i'll just trust he has a plan until proven otherwise for now.

If Iowa state is ranked at the start of next year they probably won't be ranked by the end of the year unless they bring in a couple of quality recruits this spring for depth. They are a key injury away from having a really poor year next year. I personally like it when Iowa State doesn't do good, but I wouldn't want it to be because of injury. I don't personally have anything against the program, but I enjoy how all the trolls from Iowa State stay away from these boards when they go down. I feel the same way about the UNI program.

This is gonna be the first year that Freddie boys Transfer U strategy shows the weak/downside to this way of recruiting. Nothing is jumping off the page for ISU in the transfer market this year. If they ink Babb's Lil Bro, and not much else, then that is a big YIKES on recruiting for the year. Clowns are really starting to turn on Abdelmassiah and the Williams things, calling him a bag man......but Bryce told me ISU didn't need to worry, Otz was back and gonna start hitting up all those high school kids again.

Holy **** ISU actually signed Babb, I thought they were just showing interest out of respect for his brother. ISU didn't offer him out of high school, he goes to Arkansas can't even get playing time and no the Clones are all over him. I assumed Fred had some other options up his sleeve but I guess not. They're chasing juco guys that TCU and Texas Tech are after now.

I am 100% confident hoiberg will recruit in a way that will put a competitive team on the court. What that looks like over the next 18 months I have no idea.

And no, I don't think ISU is a top 5 team. I think they are about a top 15 team heading into next season.

Regardless I can't see why I would be worried about an ISU roster 2 years from now with hoiberg at the helm. His rosters are fluid to say the least.

Da Mayor should have 4 or 5 kids who are developing, that should be ready next year. Instead he is reaching for a Babb, and God knows what else is still out there player wise, but it ain't impact guys. 3 years ago he could wait and get the best transfers, but now everyone and their dog is doing that, and Freddie isn't getting a transfer who can play right away and contribute next year. So yeah, I view it as a recruiting fail. He used the transfers to turn around the program faster, and now he has doubled and tripled down on that strategy, and I think it is foolish at this point. He should have shifted over to more HS recruits 3 years ago, but he is going with all transfers now and zero HS kids......so you can kiss goodbye the glue guy types in Niang, Ejim, Morris and Long, cause after next year you got George T and Thomas......not exactly something to build around.

Da Mayor should have 4 or 5 kids who are developing, that should be ready next year. Instead he is reaching for a Babb, and God knows what else is still out there player wise, but it ain't impact guys. 3 years ago he could wait and get the best transfers, but now everyone and their dog is doing that, and Freddie isn't getting a transfer who can play right away and contribute next year. So yeah, I view it as a recruiting fail. He used the transfers to turn around the program faster, and now he has doubled and tripled down on that strategy, and I think it is foolish at this point. He should have shifted over to more HS recruits 3 years ago, but he is going with all transfers now and zero HS kids......so you can kiss goodbye the glue guy types in Niang, Ejim, Morris and Long, cause after next year you got George T and Thomas......not exactly something to build around.

The way he over recruits the high school guys with transfers I would think maybe a lot of their coaches are telling them to stay away from Iowa State. The Iowa State program doesn't offer great stability for a high school guy. There could be a reason he hasn't recruited a high school player for awhile. I don't know why anyone would want to go there.

Holy **** ISU actually signed Babb, I thought they were just showing interest out of respect for his brother. ISU didn't offer him out of high school, he goes to Arkansas can't even get playing time and no the Clones are all over him. I assumed Fred had some other options up his sleeve but I guess not. They're chasing juco guys that TCU and Texas Tech are after now.

If they would have had Babb's 1 point per game this year, they would have taken UAB to overtime. Final Four in '16 baby!!!

They can't get anyone else, a lot of schools have looked at him and decided not to offer but ISU just needs people at this point, even if they're a head case.

Their recruiting class is an absolute mess, but Clown fan is gonna spin it big time. They will say Hoiberg will "coach up" Babb. Yet for every Kane Hoiberg has developed, he has (5) SDW, Edozie, Bluford, Custer, Thomas types. Dude has actually struck out more than he has ever hit on any kind of developmental types. Freddie just a goes to bat a lot by turning over his roster all the time.

I love this thread. ISU is going to ***** slap Iowa once again and be a top 3 team in the conference. I appreciate the concern, however.

I love this thread. ISU is going to ***** slap Iowa once again and be a top 3 team in the conference. I appreciate the concern, however.

It will work out just about as well as the last time Freddie told all you Clowns that ISU was gunning for a final 4 and a national title. LOLOLOLOL

Promised a national title, delivered a first round loss to UAB.

No wonder he's having another heart surgery. Ya I went there. I don't mean it in a bad way either. I would never wish that kind of thing on anyone, but for someone in his circumstance you really have to wonder if all of the stress involved with being a major D1 basketball coach is a good idea. I used to think he'll leave ISU for the NBA. Now I'm starting to wonder if he'll put in a few more years and then just retire. There are a lot more important things in life than basketball if there is even a small chance it could be detrimental to his health.

Stress doesn't effect the heart condition. He's said that in multiple interviews. That said the stress obviously does effect him in other ways, I could see him hanging it up soon too but the guy is an absolute hoops junkie.

Da Mayor will stick around this year, and will bolt for the NBA after next year's epic final 4 run. That was the plan this year as well, but ya know they run up against a terrible matchup against a supremely talented UAB squad. Just bad luck of the draw really.

Stress doesn't effect the heart condition. He's said that in multiple interviews. That said the stress obviously does effect him in other ways, I could see him hanging it up soon too but the guy is an absolute hoops junkie.

There are positions he could take that are far less stressful on him and his family. Like Mayor of Ames for instance! Maybe they'll even change the name to Hoiberg like a bunch of idiots were considering early this year.

Latest posts