ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

Damn! We've got our work cut out for us. Say what you will about "transfer U," but Freddie is doing something that no coach in history at Iowa has done. He's created a year in and year out top 10-15 team. I would love to see Frannie get us into the top 10 within the next couple of years. If UNI could do it last year, the guys we have coming back next year can do it.

Only to Clone trolls does one top 15 finish mean they are a year in and year out top 10 team LOL.

And the logic of rating the team based on their performance in one game is what? Because Iowa State, a top 10 team last year, lost in the first round by a point makes them a top 64 team instead of a top 10 team? That takes away their big 12 title or all of their wins against ranked opponents?

I intentionally did not base my post on 1 game. I referenced 4 NCAA Tournaments...only 1 of which did ISU perform in the 10-15 range.

Agree that, on some level, you can honestly say you enjoyed the season (lot of high points) ... also agree that ISU was top 25 this year (and should have had a finish to support that). But, the early exit really does mean the exact opposite of the bolded.

Since you're pretty level-headed about wins, I accept that you can do the same with losses. And that's a good thing right now.

I get what you are saying because obviously I lived through 2001.

I heard somebody compare this season to doing A level work throughout the class but blowing the final.

I think it's a good comparison for me. This year will be different than that Hampton season because I got the chance to experience the high points in person including KC. Ending sucked but the season was a heck of a lot of fun until then.

The Big 12 got 2 teams to the Sweet 16 and no teams to the Elite 8. This says to me the conference was not as good as advertised. I think it's hard to make a case for ANY team in this conference being top 10 to 15 when over half of each team's schedule was against conference teams...none of which proved to be exceptional in the NCAA Tournament against the best of the best. I had Iowa State in the Elite 8 and Oklahoma in the Final 4 so I also over valued the conference and its teams.

Duke
Wisconsin
Kentucky
Arizona
Michigan State
Louisville
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Wichita State
Utah
Gonzaga
Xavier

These are 12 teams off the top of my head that were better than ANY Big 12 team...just my opinion based on what happened over the last 3 weeks.

The Big 12 got 2 teams to the Sweet 16 and no teams to the Elite 8. This says to me the conference was not as good as advertised. I think it's hard to make a case for ANY team in this conference being top 10 to 15 when over half of each team's schedule was against conference teams...none of which proved to be exceptional in the NCAA Tournament against the best of the best. I had Iowa State in the Elite 8 and Oklahoma in the Final 4 so I also over valued the conference and its teams.

Duke
Wisconsin
Kentucky
Arizona
Michigan State
Louisville
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Wichita State
Utah
Gonzaga
Xavier

These are 12 teams off the top of my head that were better than ANY Big 12 team...just my opinion based on what happened over the last 3 weeks.

The Atlantic Sun and MAAC have had as many elite eight teams as the B12 over the last three years, LOL.

Iowa State was a better team than us.

We finished better than them in the competition that crowns the champion. I like that option better.

This is probably true, obviously they have the head to head victory. But had they played like they did against UAB against Iowa the Hawks would have smoked them.

And the logic of rating the team based on their performance in one game is what? Because Iowa State, a top 10 team last year, lost in the first round by a point makes them a top 64 team instead of a top 10 team? That takes away their big 12 title or all of their wins against ranked opponents?

Their wins against ranked opponents were against other Big 12 teams. Those wins do not look so impressive anymore. Kansas had their worst team in years. FYI, Kansas won the Big 12 title, not ISU. ISU won the tourney (meaningless it seems as ISU went in projected as a 3 seed and came out a 3 seed. Kansas went in a 2 and came out a two. Texas and Okie State should have been playing in the CBI tourney.

Their will be 4 teams in the ACC alone next year better than ISU.

Doesn't take any of those things away for me. Doesn't mean the season is a resounding success but only an idiot would think that ISU wasn't one of the top 25 teams in the country this year.

ISU fared well in the Big 12, a conference that turned out to be pretty damn average. Your conference champ got their *** kicked by the Mo Valley runner-up while playing in a home court atmosphere in Omaha. ISU beat Iowa and Arkansas in their non-league schedule. Ok wins, but nothing great. They lost to Maryland in Kansas City and to South Carolina in New York. South Carolina finished 4-14 in the SEC.

I must be an idiot because I do not think it was a given that ISU was one of the top 25 teams in the country. I argued most of the season with you about the bloated conference ranking of the Big 12. Turns out, I was right.

Do you think WVU and Oklahoma were at least ok? I mean they did make the sweet 16.

ISU was 4-1 vs those teams.

ISU was ranked the entire season. They were ranked by every AP voter, and every possible metric. If you don't think ISU was a top 25 team you are flat wrong. I'm sorry

Damn! We've got our work cut out for us. Say what you will about "transfer U," but Freddie is doing something that no coach in history at Iowa has done. He's created a year in and year out top 10-15 team. I would love to see Frannie get us into the top 10 within the next couple of years. If UNI could do it last year, the guys we have coming back next year can do it.
If you'd go back home to cyfan and post this it will go over a lot better.

Do you think WVU and Oklahoma were at least ok? I mean they did make the sweet 16.

ISU was 4-1 vs those teams.

ISU was ranked the entire season. They were ranked by every AP voter, and every possible metric. If you don't think ISU was a top 25 team you are flat wrong. I'm sorry

I think they were probably pretty close to a top twenty-five team. Iowa state could have a disastrous year next season unless Hoiberg can recruit a quality big guy or two for next year this spring. They are an injury away from being a pretty poor team. They probably would do alright in their conference though.

Shocked to see such high early pre-season rankings for Iowa State. And the articles talk about returning players, not recruits like Diallo. Can't imagine what the rankings will look like if the recruiting comes through.

Shocked to see such high early pre-season rankings for Iowa State. And the articles talk about returning players, not recruits like Diallo. Can't imagine what the rankings will look like if the recruiting comes through.

If you look at their roster it looks like a bunch of hype to me. They have a couple of good players, but most teams have a couple of good players. They don't look to have much depth if you look at their roster.

If you look at their roster it looks like a bunch of hype to me. They have a couple of good players, but most teams have a couple of good players. They don't look to have much depth if you look at their roster.

They will be fine....They lose the cancer of BDJ and can replace Hogue. McKay should improve into something special.

Latest posts