ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

Lol the fact that Fran reached out regardless of whether or not a scholly has been offered yet, signifies that he is probably willing to make room

What? Are you that dumb to think that every kid a staff reaches out to gets an offer? Holy crap dude, now not only are U Jelly, you are reaching soooooo badly on this one it just makes you look stupid.

It's called reading between the lines bud. Iowa is out of scholarships. They cannot sign anyone else. Yet they reached out to a player who will require a scholarship next season (assuming he's not willing to pay his way for a full year). Now why would a staff who is out of room, reach out and waste their time to recruit a player that they can't sign?? I thought you were smarter than this Dean

Lol the fact that Fran reached out regardless of whether or not a scholly has been offered yet, signifies that he is probably willing to make room

Just give up your troll attempt on this one. It is obvious that I struck a nerve with you by correctly pointing out Freddie pulls scholarships. It ain't a clever troll to then try to take this Washington thing and then say Fran would pull a scholarship??? Just weak sauce, but something that is probably currently being eaten up in Clown circles.

It's called reading between the lines bud. Iowa is out of scholarships. They cannot sign anyone else. Yet they reached out to a player who will require a scholarship next season (assuming he's not willing to pay his way for a full year). Now why would a staff who is out of room, reach out and waste their time to recruit a player that they can't sign?? I thought you were smarter than this Dean

^^^ maybe Fran is going to force someone out?

Last edited:

You told me I COULDN'T read between the lines when it came to Da Mayor, and how he pulls scholarships.

Yet if you want me to read between the lines on this I will. Washington got reached out to cause Iowa had an open scholarship. So I'd guess coaches keep recruiting until the kid signs on the dotted line. Coaches also recruit for future years, and Fran has a need for more big men in next years class (when Washington would be eligible). With the list he put out, he might have a scholarship waiting for him next year at 1/2 of those schools? The rest (like Iowa) are asking him to pay his way for a year until they have a scholarship for him.

That is how you read between the lines.....Oh yeah, and what Freddie does is pull scholarships.

Freddie may not have to worry about scholarships here shortly.

It wouldn't surprise me if an NBA franchise offered him the head coaching job he might take it. I don't think he would be that successful. He would really leave Iowa State in a shambles if he left with the guys they are losing after next year. Iowa State will probably be in a shambles even if he stays.

Freddie may not have to worry about scholarships here shortly.

Even Chris Williams thinks he's gone. Sucks for ISU that even a hometown legend doesn't want to stay in Ames for more than a couple years. Can't blame him for wanting to get away from their creepy *** fans though.

Even Chris Williams thinks he's gone. Sucks for ISU that even a hometown legend doesn't want to stay in Ames for more than a couple years. Can't blame him for wanting to get away from their creepy *** fans though.

Welp we both said Freddie be gone in 14 months, and that no doubt will happen. I figured after next year, but I shouldn't have underestimate the overwhelming desire to GTFO of LAmes Iowa that most people have (including Da Mayor himself).......now I'm thinking he gone, and Otz if the next ISU head coach.

Better gig Bulls or Pelicans?

ISUer/foreveriowan, just couldn't stay away, could you?

Welp we both said Freddie be gone in 14 months, and that no doubt will happen. I figured after next year, but I shouldn't have underestimate the overwhelming desire to GTFO of LAmes Iowa that most people have (including Da Mayor himself).......now I'm thinking he gone, and Otz if the next ISU head coach.

I remember watching Hoiberg surrounded with reporters after Dejean-Jones decided to remove all doubt that he was a moron by getting arrested after being warned 4-5 times for being a loud and ****** neighbor. Watching Hoiberg's reactions during that interview made me think "Man he seems extremely annoyed with all of the attention this is getting".

I don't think Fred wants to deal with babysitting college kids and recruiting for much longer. Fred is a basketball guy. In the NBA it's all basketball 24/7. Sure there are NBA players who are morons, but it's a business. If they can't be professional then the front office can handle those kinds of situations. It doesn't all fall on the head coach. More importantly, it doesn't usually deflect negativity towards the head coach for his inability to keep his players out of trouble. They are grown men at that point. If they can't stay out of trouble it's their fault not his. The head coach gets to focus on basketball. Fred just seems like the kind of guy who just wants to coach. He doesn't want the circus that comes with trying to corral 18-24 year old kids who are celebs in a college town.

I remember watching Hoiberg surrounded with reporters after Dejean-Jones decided to remove all doubt that he was a moron by getting arrested after being warned 4-5 times for being a loud and ****** neighbor. Watching Hoiberg's reactions during that interview made me think "Man he seems extremely annoyed with all of the attention this is getting".

I don't think Fred wants to deal with babysitting college kids and recruiting for much longer. Fred is a basketball guy. In the NBA it's all basketball 24/7. Sure there are NBA players who are morons, but it's a business. If they can't be professional then the front office can handle those kinds of situations. It doesn't all fall on the head coach. More importantly, it doesn't usually deflect negativity towards the head coach for his inability to keep his players out of trouble. They are grown men at that point. If they can't stay out of trouble it's their fault not his. The head coach gets to focus on basketball. Fred just seems like the kind of guy who just wants to coach. He doesn't want the circus that comes with trying to corral 18-24 year old kids who are celebs in a college town.

ISU basically stopped recruiting high school kids the last two years, they were only going after a couple of guys a year and for some reason thought they could beat out the big name schools for guys like that. Seems Fred just doesn't like to recruit at all, going after transfers is a much, much quicker process but now that so many other schools are after those guys, ISU can't land anyone averaging more than one point per game.

This is an excellent point. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is go deal with the cops every time one of his players breaks the law. I wonder how many fires he's already extinguished? It's probably fairly frustrating for him and who knows, his good rapport with the police could be dwindling.

Better gig Bulls or Pelicans?

Pelicans, the Bulls really aren't a good job, and if they lose Butler, there really isn't much there. The Pelicans at least have a young, elite talent to build around although their front office seems intent to repeat Cleveland's mistakes with LeBron and be in a rush to be good rather than being patient and trying to be great.

ISU basically stopped recruiting high school kids the last two years, they were only going after a couple of guys a year and for some reason thought they could beat out the big name schools for guys like that. Seems Fred just doesn't like to recruit at all, going after transfers is a much, much quicker process but now that so many other schools are after those guys, ISU can't land anyone averaging more than one point per game.

I seem seem to recall a very astute poster who tried to tell Bryce and other ISU fans this. If Hoiberg leaves in a few weeks, I'd be pretty pizzed if I were a Clown fan. Dude obviously didn't like recruiting, and so he basically stopped doing it. When you lose recruits to your freaking assistant coaches it just shows how far removed Freddie was from recruiting.

Everyone is wired differently, and I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I think Freddie is pretty close to what you posted. Then you have other guys like Coach K who understand that ultimately having total control like a college coach means you sink or swim based on what YOU do, and how YOU perform. That means you have to embrace recruiting though, as that is nearly as important has X's and O's. It seems to me as a pro coach you have to rely on the front office just too much for some to want to make that plunge.

Latest posts