ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

I think the silence speaks volumes. He's either leaving or he's still very unsure about his decision. One of those two. Because if he knew he was going to stay then he would have come out and said something by now. Lots of Cyclone fans are saying "He won't say anything until there is an actual job offer to discuss. He has too much respect for Thibs". That's complete BS. He doesn't have to mention a specific job in order to calm down the fan base. All he has to say is "I know there are a lot of rumors out there about me right now, and although I am humbled by all of the attention I felt like it was necessary for me to put an end to these rumors and make it clear that I am staying in Ames and will be coaching the Cyclones next season".

He hasn't said a word. It's obvious Cyclone Nation is collectively holding its breath right now. He wouldn't be suffocating them this long unless he's leaving or at least putting some serious thought into it.

Cyclone Nation is pacifying itself with the thought that Hornacek might take his place.

Cyclone Nation is pacifying itself with the thought that Hornacek might take his place.

lq2d2.jpg

I've been in hiding lately because the amount of dumb stuff about Hoiberg is absurd. And I'm not talking here, I'm talking at CyFan, and I just can't take it. A few thoughts, assuming he's gone, which seems just blatantly obvious at this point.

1. The whole "Fred doesn't care about ISU the way fans care about ISU" meme is so absurd I can't even stand it. The guy delayed heart surgery to coach this year. The guy exceeded pretty much everybody's expectations for a guy who never coached. He has constantly been linked to NBA jobs. If any fan is surprised he would go that's on them, and any fan who feels like Fred needs to stay at ISU because for some reason he is required to entertain them that's on them.

2. Next year becomes incredibly important in the future of the program. Just huge. Whoever replaces him absolutely needs to win with a talented, senior laden team. Also, if ISU wins at a high level next year, people forgive Fred immediately (not that he needs forgiven), and the new coach gets off on a great foot which allows him to jumpstart his era. If they go something like 20-11 and barely make the tourney, or miss it, whoever the coach is is totally screwed because the fans will absolutely turn on that person right out of the gate.

Big few days for the program as it sounds like th Bulls will move quickly after the lottery. However even bigger will be the results of next year.

I've been in hiding lately because the amount of dumb stuff about Hoiberg is absurd. And I'm not talking here, I'm talking at CyFan, and I just can't take it. A few thoughts, assuming he's gone, which seems just blatantly obvious at this point.

1. The whole "Fred doesn't care about ISU the way fans care about ISU" meme is so absurd I can't even stand it. The guy delayed heart surgery to coach this year. The guy exceeded pretty much everybody's expectations for a guy who never coached. He has constantly been linked to NBA jobs. If any fan is surprised he would go that's on them, and any fan who feels like Fred needs to stay at ISU because for some reason he is required to entertain them that's on them.

2. Next year becomes incredibly important in the future of the program. Just huge. Whoever replaces him absolutely needs to win with a talented, senior laden team. Also, if ISU wins at a high level next year, people forgive Fred immediately (not that he needs forgiven), and the new coach gets off on a great foot which allows him to jumpstart his era. If they go something like 20-11 and barely make the tourney, or miss it, whoever the coach is is totally screwed because the fans will absolutely turn on that person right out of the gate.

Big few days for the program as it sounds like th Bulls will move quickly after the lottery. However even bigger will be the results of next year.

I feel for ya Bryce, it has got to be tough losing your most favored son to greener pastures. I have many good ISU friends that I enjoy watching games with that I feel sorry for as well.........

That said, at the same time, I'm really going to enjoy rubbing this into the Clown idiots who think ISU is some blue blood program (like Foreverdouchey, and 99% of Cyclownfantasies posters as you said). The ISU fanbase has become unbearably arrogant, considering they have 1 sweet 16 appearance under their belt. If you had Wisconsin's results over the last 2 year, then I could actually understand where the arrogance is coming from.....but ISU doesn't, so I don't understand how they think they are some national team all of a sudden.

Lastly will be my I told ya so Bryce. I said earlier that I'd be pizzed if I were a ISU fan at Hoiberg inept recruiting over the last 2 years. He should have had the cupboard stocked with young talent, but instead he is gonna be leaving with lame duck transfers, and no high end talent on the bench waiting to come in. Ignoring the HS ranks as he did for 2 years HURTS a program, even if he would stick there is gonna be a big let down after this year.

Quick poll. Should I head over to Cyclonefantasies for the first time in forever to watch this meltdown?

I heard Chris Williams on the radio talking about how isu wasn't going to be able to offer high end money for the new coach if Fred leaves. Do you think that means the plan is for TJ to take over? And if that is the case, how do you think he'd do and how would that go over with the fan base? Seems to me that if there isn't going to be a big name hire, why not just let TJ take over rather than going with an up and coming coach from a lesser conference. He's familiar with the team and players and may be able to continue what Fred started.

I heard Chris Williams on the radio talking about how isu wasn't going to be able to offer high end money for the new coach if Fred leaves. Do you think that means the plan is for TJ to take over? And if that is the case, how do you think he'd do and how would that go over with the fan base? Seems to me that if there isn't going to be a big name hire, why not just let TJ take over rather than going with an up and coming coach from a lesser conference. He's familiar with the team and players and may be able to continue what Fred started.

I think it makes a lot of sense that TJ was brought back with the idea in mind that Fred may decide to leave. Probably at Fred's request. He knows the team is familiar with him. He knows TJ can recruit. He knows TJ has ties to Iowa State and cares about the university and the players.

I don't think there are any guarantees that the job would be TJ's, but I imagine part of the reason he came back is because he knew there might be a quick opportunity for advancement. I'm sure Pollard would interview some higher caliber coaches, but I highly doubt any of them would want to come to Ames, Iowa. TJ is there already and he has familiarity with the system. He has familiarity with the players. I think the job is most likely his if Fred bails.

Frankly, most D1 coaches would be able to win games with the team they have coming back. It will be the year after that when things get interesting. As Dean pointed out... Fred's transfer strategy hasn't left them with much in the cupboard after this coming season. With or without Fred the program will likely take a big step backwards at that point.

I really think Fred will be doing the ISU program a favor by leaving this year. As Bryce said, he would be leaving the new coach a really talented roster. Whether clone fans want to believe it or not, there comes a point in most basketball programs when you are going to take step back and maybe not be in the top 2 or 3 of the Big 12 while you rebuild. If Fred waited until after next season, he would be setting the next coach up for failure. Not that they will be horrible the year after next, but they almost certainly will take a step back from where they will be in the 2015-2016 season.
If Fred wants to leave for the NBA now while he is a hot commodity, nobody can blame him. People can question why he would want to leave a place where he can basically have a lifetime contract and a statue made. However, I'm sure very few people understand what makes someone that competitive and driven tick. It seems he wants to be the best at the highest level. Hard to fault a guy for that.

Lots of smoke around TJ right now. Fans will be very split. Yes, he knows the players, is familiar with ISU, and apparently wants to be there. At the same time he's a career assistant who was scheduled to interview for the UW-Milwaukee job and didn't get the Drake job a few years ago. I'm beyond trying to project who will be a good, successful coach at ISU but man that resume leaves something to be desired.

Lastly will be my I told ya so Bryce. I said earlier that I'd be pizzed if I were a ISU fan at Hoiberg inept recruiting over the last 2 years. He should have had the cupboard stocked with young talent, but instead he is gonna be leaving with lame duck transfers, and no high end talent on the bench waiting to come in. Ignoring the HS ranks as he did for 2 years HURTS a program, even if he would stick there is gonna be a big let down after this year.

I'm still not mad about it. Recruiting is fluid, and with a new coach anyway, who knows what the philosophy is. Plus, we're looking at what MIGHT happen in two years. Who knows, that's honestly a pretty long way away. Again, this is another example of why it's good Fred is leaving this year, it gives the new coach a year to sell a ton of playing time in 2016 which would be a rebuilding year anyway. I never expected ISU to be a school that has a sustained run of never missing the tourney.

I really think Fred will be doing the ISU program a favor by leaving this year. As Bryce said, he would be leaving the new coach a really talented roster. Whether clone fans want to believe it or not, there comes a point in most basketball programs when you are going to take step back and maybe not be in the top 2 or 3 of the Big 12 while you rebuild. If Fred waited until after next season, he would be setting the next coach up for failure. Not that they will be horrible the year after next, but they almost certainly will take a step back from where they will be in the 2015-2016 season.
If Fred wants to leave for the NBA now while he is a hot commodity, nobody can blame him. People can question why he would want to leave a place where he can basically have a lifetime contract and a statue made. However, I'm sure very few people understand what makes someone that competitive and driven tick. It seems he wants to be the best at the highest level. Hard to fault a guy for that.

There is a lot more competition for these transfers now than a few years ago. Its easy to imagine that a high school coach that cares about his players would steer them away from Iowa State by how Fred will try and bring in a transfer to play over them. I think any success Fred has had in the past will evaporate in the future. It would be a good time for him to take the money and run.

CyFan posters pretty much sum it up:

Kick in the nuts by our most beloved citizen. Ouch!!

There is really nothing more ISU than this. The biggest legend in school history using the premier job at the university as a stepping stone job.

I think we should change the term kicked in the nuts to "Hoiberg'd" from this point going forward if he leaves this year.

Instead of cyclone fanatic nut cups they should put a picture of the loyal son on them.

Last edited:
CyFan posters pretty much sum it up:

There is really nothing more ISU than this. The biggest legend in school history using the premier job at the university as a stepping stone job.

Lol to the nutbag who thinks this. Dude took a horrible program and built it back to respectability. If anythings ISU basketball and its fans got to ride on Freddie's shooting star for ANOTHER 5 years.....

I think clone fans should be worried about Pollard making another hire. Sure he hired Fred which was a huge risk with a big reward. Name another good hire he has made. Football? Wrestling? Basketball before Fred? Anyone?

I think clone fans should be worried about Pollard making another hire. Sure he hired Fred which was a huge risk with a big reward. Name another good hire he has made. Football? Wrestling? Basketball before Fred? Anyone?

Except that it will make so many cyclone fans sad if he goes, I don't care if he stays or goes. I think they are way overrated this year, and the cupboard is bear the following year as far as I can tell.

What if he has to pull the trigger on Rhoads in December? Between basketball and football that would be 6 different head coaches in 6 years.

Lol to the nutbag who thinks this. Dude took a horrible program and built it back to respectability. If anythings ISU basketball and its fans got to ride on Freddie's shooting star for ANOTHER 5 years.....

They should be saying:

[video=youtube;kowv6l2CBD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowv6l2CBD0[/video]

Latest posts