ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

Any team that isn't a top seed is fortunate to make the tournament any year. That doesn't sound stupid to me. With Iowa States depth, they could be a severe ankle sprain away from making the NIT or even missing the NIT. Iowa State has a nice team, but there really are a lot better teams whether you want to believe it or not. Iowa isn't going to be the best team in the land next year, but on a given day they could beat anyone if they make the NCAA tournament. There are a couple of guys on the Iowa team that if they have an injury that takes them out for a few weeks it could cost Iowa a lot of games unless they can develop some depth at those positions. Where is Iowa States depth? Hopefully, Iowa and Iowa State can remain injury free this coming year and make the tournament, but I would say one of the reasons is that they were fortunate. Iowa does appear to have a lot more leeway than Iowa State in that regard.

If they will be fortunate to make the tournament then even without the 10:1 odds I'm giving you you'd have yourself a good bet. Since I'm willing to give you 10:1 odds you are either insane to not take the bet or your original logic is twisted. I've already figured out which one it is.

I'll make a separate bet that ISU gets a better seed than Iowa. I already know what your response will be.

I'll add a 3rd bet. 5:1 odds on the Iowa-ISU game. Iowa should have no trouble handling ISU from everything I've read from you.

If they will be fortunate to make the tournament then even without the 10:1 odds I'm giving you you'd have yourself a good bet. Since I'm willing to give you 10:1 odds you are either insane to not take the bet or your original logic is twisted. I've already figured out which one it is.

I'll make a separate bet that ISU gets a better seed than Iowa. I already know what your response will be.

I'll add a 3rd bet. 5:1 odds on the Iowa-ISU game. Iowa should have no trouble handling ISU from everything I've read from you.

You sound like a nice guy even though your a cyclone fanatic that loves to troll an Iowa hawkeye board. I wouldn't want to bet with anyone unless I knew I could trust them. I don't even know you, and I don't have a lot of trust in your willingness to pay a lost bet. You could give me a million to one odds but it doesn't really mean anything unless there is security behind it. Time will take care of the truth about how the teams end up, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot can happen to a college team between now and the NCAA tournament. I see where Tyler Cook from Missouri has Iowa and Iowa State in his top six schools. Iowa State will definitely have an opening for him after this next year is over with.

Last edited:

I noticed that there's no "i bet my team goes further in the tournament" bet.

Still paying off this year? or is it just that winning games in the tournament doesn't matter?

Facts:

Iowa State has been to 4 straight NCAA's...to say they'd be fortunate enough to make it next year with what they have returning is straight idiotic. Also, they finished in the top 20 in the final poll last year...they lose BDJ and Hogue both are very replaceable.

The big 12 was 5-5 against the big 10 last season. Luckily enough for the B1G they added Maryland at the right time. Also as a reminder, since some need some around here, WVU beat Maryland in the tourney. So even though B1G clearly outperormed the Big 12 in the tourney, claiming that ISU "overachieved" or "are lucky" they play in the Big 12 is once again idiotic....specifically when it comes from a fan base who was 0-2 against that same conference!! If the Big 12 was so bad how come your own damn team couldn't beat them???

It took Fran 5 years to achieve what Fred did in 2.

Iowa was should worry about their own team making the tourney nxt year, as they lost arguably their top 2 players.

Remember when the NYT had Iowa ranked #1 preseason in football way back when??? How crazy Iowa fans were going about that?? Every fan base eats up and soaks in pre-season rankings, even your own.

AdamHawk Iowa can't even beat a team in the Big 12...LOLOL LOL...so overrated!! Good thing Iowa doesn't play in the Big 12, they probably wouldn't even make the tourney!

Last edited:
AdamHawk Iowa can't even beat a team in the Big 12...LOLOL LOL...so overrated!! Good thing Iowa doesn't play in the Big 12, they probably wouldn't even make the tourney!
You're right. It's also lucky ISU plays in the over rated Big 12. If you were in Conference USA you'd be getting slapped around by UAB more often, not to mention the good schools in that conference.

I never said that Iowa would beat ISU next year. I'm hopeful that they do, and they have the potential to. Iowa State has a nice team, but I'm sure they don't strike terror in the teams they will play next year, including Iowa.

I noticed that there's no "i bet my team goes further in the tournament" bet.

Still paying off this year? or is it just that winning games in the tournament doesn't matter?

Thank you for changing thje subject. I'll bet you that ISU goes farther than Iowa if that makes you feel better. Tierney doesn't trust me.

I never said that Iowa would beat ISU next year. I'm hopeful that they do, and they have the potential to. Iowa State has a nice team, but I'm sure they don't strike terror in the teams they will play next year, including Iowa.

I was just disputing your original crazy statement that ISU would be "fortunate" to make the tournament. They will make it easily barring a rash of injuries. Everything else is just noise. How they do in the tournament is irrelevant to your original statement. They could go on a run or they could flame out. We've all experienced both.

Thank you for changing thje subject. I'll bet you that ISU goes farther than Iowa if that makes you feel better. Tierney doesn't trust me.

Well, stuart, I never really felt bad. I

ISU's success doesn't bother me, and their complete flame out this year doesn't make me happy (other than that it cleared these boards for a bit). I don't care.

I also don't gamble. I do, however, point and laugh at people desperately trying to frame a debate their own way. Which was the point of my previous post.

For the record, if I was a gambler, I'd be dumb to bet that ISU would not make the tournament. The only thing more dumb, in my opinion, is rampantly trying to make bets with anonymous message board posters. But, hey ... whatever makes you feel better.

You don't think the B12 was overrated last season? Clearly their top seeded teams did so well in the tourney. How many of them lost to double-digit seeds again? I'm sure ISU would've dominated the B10 and cruised through the BTT as well.

BTW, I feel Iowa was seeded right about where they belonged given their body of work. ISU? Not so much.

ISU's success doesn't bother me, and their complete flame out this year doesn't make me happy (other than that it cleared these boards for a bit). I don't care.

I also don't gamble. I do, however, point and laugh at people desperately trying to frame a debate their own way. Which was the point of my previous post.

For the record, if I was a gambler, I'd be dumb to bet that ISU would not make the tournament. The only thing more dumb, in my opinion, is rampantly trying to make bets with anonymous message board posters. But, hey ... whatever makes you feel better.

I didn't say I didn't trust you. I said I didn't know you, and there was no reason to trust someone I didn't know. They will teach you things like that when you get to college. The wager you proposed seemed like easy money to me. I don't know the ISU schedule, but I know there conference is pretty easy. When you get to college, if it is a good school, they will teach you the meaning of fortunate too. I really don't care about betting unless its a friend of mine and it will make him happy. A hundred bucks or a thousand bucks isn't going to change my life. I do play the lottery though.

Last edited:

I never really felt bad.

When you get to college, if it is a good school, they will teach you the meaning of fortunate too.

You must have went to a pretty bad school, because you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the definition of fortunate. They also instilled a false sense or arrogance which is a real coup de grace.

You must have went to a pretty bad school, because you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the definition of fortunate. They also instilled a false sense or arrogance which is a real coup de grace.

Who learns vocabulary in college? I don't know where you two went but I learned that stuff in elementary school. But hey, things could very well be different outside Iowa.

Edit: I'm sorry I lied. I learned some Spanish vocabulary at Iowa. Lo siento...

Do ISU grads understand the meaning of Irony? I mean a ISU BB fan saying a Hawk fan has a "false sense of arrogance" in this thread is certainly ironic.....(see thread title).

Latest posts