Iowa's prize recruit having second thoughts?

Guys, the facts speak for themselves. Iowa has the second highest percentage of in-state students of any BCS conference school in the State of Iowa. In addition, the Coral Ridge Mall is one of the most important malls situated within 1000 yards to the south of Interstate 80 anywhere IN THE COUNTRY. A recruit can come to Iowa and know they are getting an education that is at least on par with Michigan State, Nebraska or Mississippi State. Everyone who has played 4 years under Ferentz has had an opportunity to go to a bowl at least on par with the Alamo Bowl or Insight Bowl. Ferentz is assembling talent in Iowa City and making major recruiting in-roads nationwide as the profile of the team improves following our nationally televised victory over a team that played in a BCS game last year. Greg Davis knows every single high school football coach in the State of Texas and bince he changed his cell phone number after moving to Iowa, none of them have his number blocked anymore.

Bob Bowlsby took a job out at Stanford. If it was so great, why isn't he still out there? Nick Saban got straight up smoked and outcoached the last time he faced Ferentz. If you look at the facts objectively, there is no reason for this kid to go Alabama or Stanford. Neither is an easy drive from his home and so his family could never go watch him play. He is a Hawk. Book it.

Guys, the facts speak for themselves. Iowa has the second highest percentage of in-state students of any BCS conference school in the State of Iowa. In addition, the Coral Ridge Mall is one of the most important malls situated within 1000 yards to the south of Interstate 80 anywhere IN THE COUNTRY. A recruit can come to Iowa and know they are getting an education that is at least on par with Michigan State, Nebraska or Mississippi State. Everyone who has played 4 years under Ferentz has had an opportunity to go to a bowl at least on par with the Alamo Bowl or Insight Bowl. Ferentz is assembling talent in Iowa City and making major recruiting in-roads nationwide as the profile of the team improves following our nationally televised victory over a team that played in a BCS game last year. Greg Davis knows every single high school football coach in the State of Texas and bince he changed his cell phone number after moving to Iowa, none of them have his number blocked anymore.

Bob Bowlsby took a job out at Stanford. If it was so great, why isn't he still out there? Nick Saban got straight up smoked and outcoached the last time he faced Ferentz. If you look at the facts objectively, there is no reason for this kid to go Alabama or Stanford. Neither is an easy drive from his home and so his family could never go watch him play. He is a Hawk. Book it.
I liked this post only so I could unlike it. I don't know how someone could be so wrong in such a short amount of space.

I liked this post only so I could unlike it. I don't know how someone could be so wrong in such a short amount of space.

I've read every recruiting thread on Cyclone Fanatic in the past 3 days so I think I know a thing or two about big time recruiting battles. The things in my post are exactly what every 17 and 18 year old kid in the country who plays football is focused on.

I've read every recruiting thread on Cyclone Fanatic in the past 3 days so I think I know a thing or two about big time recruiting battles. The things in my post are exactly what every 17 and 18 year old kid in the country who plays football is focused on.
Reading Cyclone Fanatic can cause serus brain damage, so it comes not as a surprise to me that prolonged exposure to that environment has rendered you incoherent.

I think maybe you missed one, the fact that kids all over the country are going to forego a chance to play at Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Notre Dame to go to Ames instead once they see ISU alternate jerseys honoring Jack Trice. Sorry but Coral Ridge is going to have a hard time topping that.

That is a poor analogy. Why would my daughter commit to the less prestigious job a year and a half before she was expected to start working? That is the situation here. Ross had no urgency in making a commitment, but he committed early anyways. If he wanted other offers, he shouldn't have committed. This isn't that hard to comprehend.

If you're 100% sure, commit. If you're not, DON'T COMMIT!

Seriously, get over the preemptive butt-hurt over the kid going elsewhere. Kids at that age often think they know what they want, then they realize they should reconsider. It's normal, and it's hardly a big deal. Step off the high horse.

Seriously, get over the preemptive butt-hurt over the kid going elsewhere. Kids at that age often think they know what they want, then they realize they should reconsider. It's normal, and it's hardly a big deal. Step off the high horse.

TM, this is what I told him earlier and in another thread. Apparently if you don't agree with him you are a trouble maker and have run-ins with other people. Seems to me that his true personality is coming out.

Yes, OLWPAORWWM, I am the only person who has an issue with your posts and thinks you're on your high horse.

My high horse? I have done nothing more than say that it you commit to something, you should stick with it. Is asking people to honor their commitments really a superior position?

You, in particular, keep poking at me like it is inappropriate for me to comment on this situation. I am sorry, but I have a great deal of experience when it comes to choosing a path after high school, both with myself, my siblings, and my three children. Sorry if this sounds too "high horse" for you, but I happen to have opinions in this area, and I have a perspective here that many, perhaps, do not. I don't think it is wrong to share that perspective just because no one agrees with it.

I think maybe you missed one, the fact that kids all over the country are going to forego a chance to play at Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Notre Dame to go to Ames instead once they see ISU alternate jerseys honoring Jack Trice. Sorry but Coral Ridge is going to have a hard time topping that.

I know, but Coral Ridge was the best I could do to try to one up that. We have a throwback game once every few years or so, but there is no way we will be able to match the Jack Trice throwback. I heard Rhodes is already "cutting" guys to make room for the 5 stars who are going to commit when they see the Trice throwback jerseys on the field.

My high horse? I have done nothing more than say that it you commit to something, you should stick with it. Is asking people to honor their commitments really a superior position?

You, in particular, keep poking at me like it is inappropriate for me to comment on this situation. I am sorry, but I have a great deal of experience when it comes to choosing a path after high school, both with myself, my siblings, and my three children. Sorry if this sounds too "high horse" for you, but I happen to have opinions in this area, and I have a perspective here that many, perhaps, do not. I don't think it is wrong to share that perspective just because no one agrees with it.

I just think it is the manner in which you convey your "opinion" that comes off at condescending, arrogant or you're on your high horse.

To be honest, normally I would agree with you about the commitment thing. However, from what I have read Ross P. has committed to play for Kirk Ferentz NOT play for the UofI. Many kids now days say that in their commitments around the country it isn't the school they are choosing it is the coach for which they choose to play for.

In my opinion he (Ross P.) made it pretty clearly that if Kirk Ferentz isn't around, he isn't coming to the UofI. Knowing the state in which the Iowa program is right now especially in regards to Kirk Ferentz's future at Iowa, I find it hard for me to slight this kid for his visits.

Based on that, I can't blame him for wanting to wait and see how this season plays out and if Kirk Ferentz isn't going to be around he has to rely on Barta and the Board to choose his next head coach, I don't blame the hesitation.

I just think it is the manner in which you convey your "opinion" that comes off at condescending, arrogant or you're on your high horse.

To be honest, normally I would agree with you about the commitment thing. However, from what I have read Ross P. has committed to play for Kirk Ferentz NOT play for the UofI. Many kids now days say that in their commitments around the country it isn't the school they are choosing it is the coach for which they choose to play for.

In my opinion he (Ross P.) made it pretty clearly that if Kirk Ferentz isn't around, he isn't coming to the UofI. Knowing the state in which the Iowa program is right now especially in regards to Kirk Ferentz's future at Iowa, I find it hard for me to slight this kid for his visits.

Based on that, I can't blame him for wanting to wait and see how this season plays out and if Kirk Ferentz isn't going to be around he has to rely on Barta and the Board to choose his next head coach, I don't blame the hesitation.
Thanks for sharing Dave.

You must be new around here.
I guess. I think everyone here has a rich and complex backstory that I don't know, so I have no idea what's going on half the time. It's like watching the Lord of the Rings movies if you've never read the books.

I guess. I think everyone here has a rich and complex backstory that I don't know, so I have no idea what's going on half the time. It's like watching the Lord of the Rings movies if you've never read the books.
That's actually a pretty good analogy. All you need to know is that you should have a healthy respect for okeefe4prez. The rest is all a mystery to me.

I just don't see why it concerns you at all if he doesn't honor his commitment. It certainly isn't going to affect me if he chooses to go to Alabama or someplace else.

It's one thing to honor a commitment that is largely insignificant (babysitting a neighbors kids instead of going to the movies, or something like that). But this represents a major life decision. If something comes along that he feels will be better for him, he shouldn't feel ashamed for taking advantage of that opportunity.

No, kids who struggle to pick different schools are not handling things wrong. In fact, I just visited Madison, Wisconsin last weekend to attend a conference with my daughter, who is a senior in high school, on what to look for when picking schools. I talked to plenty of kids who, while not high-profile, have much more difficult choices to make than this kid.

My problem, and my ONLY problem, is that he committed one place, and then decided to keep looking. As far as I am concerned, that is not honoring your commitment. Not honoring your commitments is a BAD THING, and it doesn't matter if he's 17, or 77, if someone goes goes back on their word, I have a problem with it, and I'll criticize those actions.

If he wants to go to Iowa, then he shouldn't be visiting other schools. If he wants to visit other schools, he should de-commit to Iowa and go visit. You can't have it both ways.

He can and does have it both ways.

I just don't see why it concerns you at all if he doesn't honor his commitment. It certainly isn't going to affect me if he chooses to go to Alabama or someplace else.

It's one thing to honor a commitment that is largely insignificant (babysitting a neighbors kids instead of going to the movies, or something like that). But this represents a major life decision. If something comes along that he feels will be better for him, he shouldn't feel ashamed for taking advantage of that opportunity.
Wait, so it is important to honor your word, but only if it is something insignificant? Honestly, I just have to ask, and sorry if this is rude, but are you 14 years old? You seem to have an extremely immature view of the world.

No friend, the BIG decisions in your life, those are the ones you need to slowly and carefully deliberate before you make them. Ross made a commitment a year before he "had" to, which now makes me feel that he must have rushed into it carelessly, since now he has second thoughts. If he wanted to explore opportunities, he shouldn't have committed. Like you said, it is a major life decision, why make it until you're ready.

While your point stands, it does not affect me one way or another, I will be honest, it upsets me that it is "normal" for a commitment to mean absolutely nothing. Although, to be fair, I have given several, similar dressing downs to friends of mine who have gotten divorced over the years, so don't think I'm singling Ross out. I can see a lot from up here on my high horse :).

Wait, so it is important to honor your word, but only if it is something insignificant? Honestly, I just have to ask, and sorry if this is rude, but are you 14 years old? You seem to have an extremely immature view of the world.

No friend, the BIG decisions in your life, those are the ones you need to slowly and carefully deliberate before you make them. Ross made a commitment a year before he "had" to, which now makes me feel that he must have rushed into it carelessly, since now he has second thoughts. If he wanted to explore opportunities, he shouldn't have committed. Like you said, it is a major life decision, why make it until you're ready.

While your point stands, it does not affect me one way or another, I will be honest, it upsets me that it is "normal" for a commitment to mean absolutely nothing. Although, to be fair, I have given several, similar dressing downs to friends of mine who have gotten divorced over the years, so don't think I'm singling Ross out. I can see a lot from up here on my high horse :).

This is a decision that only affects him. The affect it has on others relates entirely to a ******* game, and in the big picture means nothing.

What really needs changed in all of this is the use of the word commitment for recruited. Everybody knows, and has known forever, that nothing's final until the signature is on the dotted line. There's far more pressure put on these kids to make a decision than there is on any other high school senior, but the average recruit doesn't think any better or handle that stress better than the typical high school senior.

And all of our discussion hasn't even addressed kids (athletes or typical students) who transfer out of one school to go to another. That's a big *** can of worms.

There's far more pressure put on these kids to make a decision than there is on any other high school senior, but the average recruit doesn't think any better or handle that stress better than the typical high school senior.
That's garbage. I personally know several non-athletes that have more difficult decisions to make than a football player choosing between free tuition at dream schools.

Latest posts