Iowa's prize recruit having second thoughts?

That's garbage. I personally know several non-athletes that have more difficult decisions to make than a football player choosing between free tuition at dream schools.

Being put in the spotlight, and having your every thought placed under a microscope, is not exactly fun for everybody. And regardless of the free education, there's a lot of pressure on athletic recruits because of how much people pay attention to their decisions. I don't know, and never will know, the people you just described. Why? Because they aren't high-profile. That's not the case for elite recruits.

Besides, coaches are under no obligation to remain committed to the athletes. Why should a player be honor-bound, potentially to his own detriment, when coaches can turn them away on a whim?

I think there are degrees of commitment in college football recruiting, and to that extent, there are some decommitments about which it is valid to be upset and some about which I don't think it is valid to be upset.

For example, Ross Pierschbacher has said all along that he would continue to explore other options and would look elsewhere if Iowa has a poor season. He has been fairly upfront and honest with the media about things, and it's clear that the word "committed" is a loose term with him.

On the other end of the spectrum are guys like Melvin Gordon. When Gordon committed to Iowa, he said, "“I’m not going anywhere. I’m committed to Iowa. I gave them my word and that’s it. I know a couple of schools may come at me until I sign the letter. When we start practice whenever (next fall), I’ll be in Iowa City.” Did he sign with Iowa? No, he signed with Wisconsin. I think when you say those kinds of things to the press and go back on your word, fan disgust is more justified than when a guy says he's going to look around and follows up on it.

Being put in the spotlight, and having your every thought placed under a microscope, is not exactly fun for everybody. And regardless of the free education, there's a lot of pressure on athletic recruits because of how much people pay attention to their decisions. I don't know, and never will know, the people you just described. Why? Because they aren't high-profile. That's not the case for elite recruits.

Besides, coaches are under no obligation to remain committed to the athletes. Why should a player be honor-bound, potentially to his own detriment, when coaches can turn them away on a whim?
I did not mean to imply that high-profile athletes do not face difficulty or pressure, because that would be absurd. What you said is that there is "far more pressure" on athletes than average high schoolers, and that is 100% false.

As to your second point, why should a player remain honor bound to a coach that may or may not reciprocate? Well, for one, why would you hitch your wagon to a guy you don't believe will honor his commitment? Two, if you want to play an ends-justify-the-means game, you have that choice, and more power to you. If Coach Ferentz suddenly withdrew the offer of a player who committed to him, rest assured, I would be coming at him with both barrels blazing.

I did not mean to imply that high-profile athletes do not face difficulty or pressure, because that would be absurd. What you said is that there is "far more pressure" on athletes than average high schoolers, and that is 100% false.

As to your second point, why should a player remain honor bound to a coach that may or may not reciprocate? Well, for one, why would you hitch your wagon to a guy you don't believe will honor his commitment? Two, if you want to play an ends-justify-the-means game, you have that choice, and more power to you. If Coach Ferentz suddenly withdrew the offer of a player who committed to him, rest assured, I would be coming at him with both barrels blazing.

To be more equal, pulling an offer to any kid should be a lack of commitment for Ferentz. A verbal is the first step of the commitment process for a recruit. But the scholly offer is the first step for the coach. A kid can't realistically commit without an offer.

And I don't know how you can argue that a kid like Ross doesn't have more pressure than the average high school senior. If/when he goes to Alabama or some other place, come back and check out the reaction on this board. If the kid is aware of the outside world at all, he realizes how many people are closely watching his every move and listening to every word. Not just his friends and family, not even just the state of Iowa.

I seriously doubt you know non-athletes who are choosing a college who face that level of pressure to make the right choice. And if you do, they certainly aren't the norm.

To be more equal, pulling an offer to any kid should be a lack of commitment for Ferentz. A verbal is the first step of the commitment process for a recruit. But the scholly offer is the first step for the coach. A kid can't realistically commit without an offer.

And I don't know how you can argue that a kid like Ross doesn't have more pressure than the average high school senior. If/when he goes to Alabama or some other place, come back and check out the reaction on this board. If the kid is aware of the outside world at all, he realizes how many people are closely watching his every move and listening to every word. Not just his friends and family, not even just the state of Iowa.

I seriously doubt you know non-athletes who are choosing a college who face that level of pressure to make the right choice. And if you do, they certainly aren't the norm.

Maybe it is just semantics......how about switching the word "pressure" with the word "scrutiny". Thinking about it-it really doesn't make that big of difference, nevermind.

I think you're sorely mistaken regarding his ability to play at Alabama. Iowa has had lineman that would start anywhere in the country, and RP is arguably the most talented offense line recruit the Hawks have had a shot at since Ferentz got here. He might not start as soon at Alabama as he would at Iowa, but I'm pretty certain he would end up anchoring one side of their line by his junior year. Do you think Bulaga, Reiff, Gallery, or Yanda would have been on the bench at Alabama? I don't think so.

It would be nice to be able to play that card to help entice him to stay at Iowa, but if the young man is confident enough in his abilities then I'm pretty sure that angle will not matter.

Gallery, Reiff, Buluga, Yanda are great Iowa linemen. How many do you think Alabama has had in that time? He might be a starter at Alabama in his senior year, but he could be a starter at Iowa in his Sophomore year. Alabama, Ohio State, USC and the rest have kids on their benches that would start at Iowa. That's not even debatable.

I think it is more the norm than you think. Like I said somewhere a long time ago, I went to a symposium for high school seniors about choosing colleges set up by our particular religious denomination with my daughter. Later, she told me some heartbreaking stories that kids told when their parents were not around. Some of it was financial, some of it family related.

And the pressure of choosing a college is nothing, I feel, to the kid who chooses to spend the next four years in the military. That kid has no idea where he's going, what he'll do, and when he'll see his family.

I suspected that's what you were referring to and that truly would be an incredibly hard decision to make. Not just for kids but for anyone. For four or five thousand it was a very costly choice. My heart goes out to their families and friends.

I personally believe in and have lived a life of commitments and I hope this young man stays with his commitment to Iowa. I will assume the best as he has never officially decommitted.

I think it is more the norm than you think. Like I said somewhere a long time ago, I went to a symposium for high school seniors about choosing colleges set up by our particular religious denomination with my daughter. Later, she told me some heartbreaking stories that kids told when their parents were not around. Some of it was financial, some of it family related.

And the pressure of choosing a college is nothing, I feel, to the kid who chooses to spend the next four years in the military. That kid has no idea where he's going, what he'll do, and when he'll see his family.

The kid who signs up for the military isn't really comparable, IMO. Is a kid who enlists and then realizes/feels he/she made a giant mistake, and subsequently wants out, any more committed than a kid who backs out of a verbal commitment? Once you enlist, your only ways out are death or discharge, and Uncle Sam doesn't exactly hand out discharges like candy canes.

Comparing someone who "shouldn't" back out of a commitment because it might reflect poorly on them, to someone who is legally barred from doing so (even if they want to) isn't a fair comparison.

Also, regarding the stories you've heard. My apologies if this is off the mark, but I gather that you're referring to kids who maybe are needed at home or can't afford to go to school? If that's the case, I think that's also apples and oranges.

Also, regarding the stories you've heard. My apologies if this is off the mark, but I gather that you're referring to kids who maybe are needed at home or can't afford to go to school? If that's the case, I think that's also apples and oranges.
I'll give you an example of one of the stories I heard. I girl wants to go to New York State for school because she wants to get away from her family, because they are nuts, as in, he father and brother get into humongous fist fights kind of nuts. The girl in question wants to get as far away from this situation as she can, but also has a 5 year old sister whom she has assumed the responsibility to shield from this. She is now brutally torn between trying to start her own life away from this dysfunction, which is good for her, or staying close to home to allow her sister to cling to some happiness in her childhood, which would make it difficult to ever extricate her self from the situation.

Sorry, but that's pressure. That's real life. That has serious consequences.

Football is not pressure. It is not real life. It does not have serious consequences.

I'll give you an example of one of the stories I heard. I girl wants to go to New York State for school because she wants to get away from her family, because they are nuts, as in, he father and brother get into humongous fist fights kind of nuts. The girl in question wants to get as far away from this situation as she can, but also has a 5 year old sister whom she has assumed the responsibility to shield from this. She is now brutally torn between trying to start her own life away from this dysfunction, which is good for her, or staying close to home to allow her sister to cling to some happiness in her childhood, which would make it difficult to ever extricate her self from the situation.

Sorry, but that's pressure. That's real life. That has serious consequences.

Football is not pressure. It is not real life. It does not have serious consequences.

I'm sorry, but I really have a hard time believing that story represents the typical prospective college student. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that's not the norm, IMO.

Also, I wasn't referring to making the right choice in terms of football. Every kid going to college faces the pressure of choosing the right school for themselves and their future. That includes football recruits. The football aspect merely adds an incredible level of scrutiny of the decision-making process for recruits. I honestly don't know how I would have handled having to put up with people I've never met picking my brain apart and telling me where I should go to school. The typical high school senior goes through many of the same stresses when choosing a college; they just get to do it anonymously, or at least only have to listen to the input of people whose opinions they know and respect (friends, family, etc.).

I'm sorry, but I really have a hard time believing that story represents the typical prospective college student. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that's not the norm, IMO.

Also, I wasn't referring to making the right choice in terms of football. Every kid going to college faces the pressure of choosing the right school for themselves and their future. That includes football recruits. The football aspect merely adds an incredible level of scrutiny of the decision-making process for recruits. I honestly don't know how I would have handled having to put up with people I've never met picking my brain apart and telling me where I should go to school. The typical high school senior goes through many of the same stresses when choosing a college; they just get to do it anonymously, or at least only have to listen to the input of people whose opinions they know and respect (friends, family, etc.).

Not to mention, almost all 17-18 year old kids have tunnel-vision. They don't see things from other individuals perspective. Certainly not a kid who's been put up on a pedastle as potentially the best Iowa recruit in a decade. I'm not saying Ross P. isn't a nice kid who cares about others, but for someone in his shoes I highly doubt he's thinking about anyone else's situation. Are there horror stories out there? Of course there are, but those are so distant from his situation that they probably rarely cross his mind. I'm not saying that's wrong. It's just rare for any kid his age to have perspective on that kind of thing so I think it's a little unfair to judge him for being indecisive. The bottom line to me is that it's a huge decision, and it's his choice. He needs to make the right choice for himself.

OLWP - If Ross was your kid and you told him he needs to honor his committment I would respect that. However, his parents aren't wrong for having the stance that he needs to make whatever decision he feels is in his best interest (nor is Ross wrong). If he's hesitating on Iowa then his parents are simply showing support for their son by telling him to take a step back, think things over, and make whatever decision he feels is best. After all, he's the one who has earned these opportunities. I understand why they would feel like ultimately this decision is up to him.

Really? I know exactly how I'd handle it.

Well congratulations, you're officially superior. Being from a super small town, I've never had to deal with so many people eyeballing me and dissecting my every thought. That can really wear on some people.

Last edited:
Well congratulations, you're officially superior. Being from a super small town, I've never had to deal with so many people eyeballing me and dissecting my every thought. That can really wear on some people.
Why do you keep lashing out like that? I am not trying to make myself sound superior, I am trying to explain that his situation is not as terrible as you want to make it out to be. I mean, for the love of God, you make it seem like being a top recruit is the worst thing in the world to happen to the guy. He obviously must hate all of the attention he's getting, since he clearly and abruptly ended his recruiting early...

Also, I am from a small town, and (warning: I am about to get "superior" on you here) when I was 18, I shared tight quarters with 33 other men in the bottom of a boat. That can also wear on a person, but I somehow powered through without anyone feeling sorry for me.

Why do you keep lashing out like that? I am not trying to make myself sound superior, I am trying to explain that his situation is not as terrible as you want to make it out to be. I mean, for the love of God, you make it seem like being a top recruit is the worst thing in the world to happen to the guy. He obviously must hate all of the attention he's getting, since he clearly and abruptly ended his recruiting early...

Also, I am from a small town, and (warning: I am about to get "superior" on you here) when I was 18, I shared tight quarters with 33 other men in the bottom of a boat. That can also wear on a person, but I somehow powered through without anyone feeling sorry for me.

If you are sincerely trying to not come off as a guy with a serious superiority complex, you are failing miserably.

Also, if you genuinely feel that it is inappropriate for kids to not "honor their commitment" in the world of college football, you probably should do yourself a favor and not read about recruiting. Based on your comments in this thread, it seems to me that you'll be very disappointed on a very regular basis.

If you are sincerely trying to not come off as a guy with a serious superiority complex, you are failing miserably.

Also, if you genuinely feel that it is inappropriate for kids to not "honor their commitment" in the world of college football, you probably should do yourself a favor and not read about recruiting. Based on your comments in this thread, it seems to me that you'll be very disappointed on a very regular basis.
I think we can all agree that college recruiting is a broken, dirty, and shady business. I have no qualms considering myself "superior" to that, particularly when my only hang up is the willingness to honor your word.

"Oh look at that guy, he thinks he is so much better than everyone else. He believes when you say you're going to do something, you should do it! Who does he think he is?"

I think we can all agree that college recruiting is a broken, dirty, and shady business. I have no qualms considering myself "superior" to that, particularly when my only hang up is the willingness to honor your word.

"Oh look at that guy, he thinks he is so much better than everyone else. He believes when you say you're going to do something, you should do it! Who does he think he is?"

Your problem is that you think this is a big deal. The only reason you, or any of the rest of us, give two ***** about the kid's word is because he happens to be an awesome football player. Plenty of people make a decision, particularly when it comes to choosing a college, and change their mind. That hardly makes those people wrong or less than upstanding, and I don't hear people complaining or criticizing them for it.

Who cares if he's looking around? As long as he's the kind of guy who honors the commitments that actually have some kind of meaningful impact, what difference does it make? Affecting a college football program (in other words, a source of entertainment) is not important, in the big picture.

Your problem is that you think this is a big deal. The only reason you, or any of the rest of us, give two ***** about the kid's word is because he happens to be an awesome football player. Plenty of people make a decision, particularly when it comes to choosing a college, and change their mind. That hardly makes those people wrong or less than upstanding, and I don't hear people complaining or criticizing them for it.

Who cares if he's looking around? As long as he's the kind of guy who honors the commitments that actually have some kind of meaningful impact, what difference does it make? Affecting a college football program (in other words, a source of entertainment) is not important, in the big picture.

TM, I have to disagree. OLWPAORWWM isn't just saying this because he is an awesome football player, I think he made that clear IMO. OLWPAORWWM believes that all people regardless of their age, sport and skill level shouldn't make a commitment unless they are going to honor it. I do agree with him normally, this year being the exception because of fact that this program is in a "make it or break it" stage. Maybe I am letting my opinion of how bad this program did last season cloud the meaning of commitment but I think there has been a decline in commitment across the board in all things not just football.

One way to look at this is everyone on here hates it when coaches withdrawal scholarship offers to make room for better players. How would this whole board and football community feel if KF told Ross P. on signing day, "Oh, sorry Ross we don't have room for you, didn't think you were serious about your commitment." This board would riot.

Latest posts