Iowa's prize recruit having second thoughts?

This is a stupid thread this happens EVERY year at every school. Until they have signed in February they are never guaranteed.

This is a stupid thread this happens EVERY year at every school. Until they have signed in February they are never guaranteed.

No kidding. Thank you, in all sincerity, for being sane.

If the guy goes elsewhere, he goes elsewhere. Out of our control. We could go 10-2 this year and he STILL may feel more comfortable going elsewhere. And not a thing on this forum would/will change that.

I'm sorry but your post comes off extremely arrogant and condecending. People are different and everyones situation is different. If you look down upon "kids" who don't handle their situation how you think they should or like you did with whatever commitment you made at 17, then I feel truly bad for you as a person. Maybe I am reading into your post way too much but clearly you aren't happy with how Ross P. is handling his own business.

Sorry you feel that way. If you think it is arrogant to stick to your commitment, then I'll wear that badge. I have no problem with him taking his visits. I have a HUGE problem with him committing one place, then taking his visits. So yes, I am criticizing the way a 17 year old kid is handling his own business, because he's handing it wrong. Just because he's a kid doesn't shield him from responsibility from his actions.

If he wants to check out Stanford and Alabama fine, just call coach Ferentz on the phone and tell him you're withdrawing your commitment. I don't care how thinks are "usually done", what he's doing now is the wrong thing.

Sorry you feel that way. If you think it is arrogant to stick to your commitment, then I'll wear that badge. I have no problem with him taking his visits. I have a HUGE problem with him committing one place, then taking his visits. So yes, I am criticizing the way a 17 year old kid is handling his own business, because he's handing it wrong. Just because he's a kid doesn't shield him from responsibility from his actions.

If he wants to check out Stanford and Alabama fine, just call coach Ferentz on the phone and tell him you're withdrawing your commitment. I don't care how thinks are "usually done", what he's doing now is the wrong thing.

Don't get me wrong...I get what you are saying and understand where you are coming from. Out of college, I interviewed on campus and was offered a pretty good job and it was one I wanted very badly. I still took two other interviews interviews just to see what was out there and meet additional people and contacts. I think it's pretty similar here. If KF got fired...if the team absolutely stinks, if the offense looks terrible...all things that may make you want to reconsider your commitment as the direction of the team may not make you feel warm and fuzzy. It is his life after all and I get why he's doing it. The kid most likely wants to play in a winning environment and Iowa needs to show they can get this back on track.

You can argue he shouldn't have committed in the first place a few months ago...and gone on the visits prior to an actual commitment, but committing probably slowed down the Iowa State's from crying outside his window every night. I get that too.

I am sorry but it's your opinion that Ross P. is handling his business wrong. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. Get off your high horse and leave this kid alone.

I suppose kids who struggle to make up their mind on what school they want to attend (I'm talking about non-athletes) are also handling things wrong? Athletes are put under a lot more pressure to make a choice, but they aren't really any different than me or any other typical high school senior was/is. I mean, I always knew I was going to Iowa, but a lot of kids don't make that decision very early. But only athletes' decision processes are placed under a microscope.

I suppose kids who struggle to make up their mind on what school they want to attend (I'm talking about non-athletes) are also handling things wrong? Athletes are put under a lot more pressure to make a choice, but they aren't really any different than me or any other typical high school senior was/is. I mean, I always knew I was going to Iowa, but a lot of kids don't make that decision very early. But only athletes' decision processes are placed under a microscope.

One subtle difference: a non-athlete has to place deposits (housing, application fees, etc.). An athlete does not.

Not saying one or the other is "right", but it is what it is.

There (maybe) needs to be some distinction between "verbal" and "commitment". Something along the lines of, "Verbal preference". In effect, it makes it no different than taking visits while having a "top two" (or "three").

Look ath the difference in preception between what Ulis is doing in basketball and this situation. Ulis had a "list", and although some got bummed when he took visits, he hadn't given any illusion that any school was his "choice".

In the same vein, giving a "verbal" isn't a universal term. For one guy it may mean "We stop recruiting at this position", with another it may mean, "Now all we need is two more like this".

No, kids who struggle to pick different schools are not handling things wrong. In fact, I just visited Madison, Wisconsin last weekend to attend a conference with my daughter, who is a senior in high school, on what to look for when picking schools. I talked to plenty of kids who, while not high-profile, have much more difficult choices to make than this kid.

My problem, and my ONLY problem, is that he committed one place, and then decided to keep looking. As far as I am concerned, that is not honoring your commitment. Not honoring your commitments is a BAD THING, and it doesn't matter if he's 17, or 77, if someone goes goes back on their word, I have a problem with it, and I'll criticize those actions.

If he wants to go to Iowa, then he shouldn't be visiting other schools. If he wants to visit other schools, he should de-commit to Iowa and go visit. You can't have it both ways.

Welcome to hawkeyenation.com.

Lol,

of course recruiting NEWS is unimportant to some people, but your point is well taken as what is really talked about on these forums that bears any significance to people's personal lives? Not much more than just another form of entertainment.

I will say a thread on the old hawk central forum several years ago did make a difference to a little boy with cancer as we got a football signed by all the Iowa football coaches and given to that little boy, I had the ball in my home down here in Atlanta for a short period of time until I could make arrangements to give it to the boy's doctor. Special thanks to all of you who player a part in that. I know some of you are on this forum now under new forum names or similar ones.

My problem, and my ONLY problem, is that he committed one place, and then decided to keep looking. As far as I am concerned, that is not honoring your commitment. Not honoring your commitments is a BAD THING, and it doesn't matter if he's 17, or 77, if someone goes goes back on their word, I have a problem with it, and I'll criticize those actions.

If he wants to go to Iowa, then he shouldn't be visiting other schools. If he wants to visit other schools, he should de-commit to Iowa and go visit. You can't have it both ways.

So if he committed to Alabama but then changed his mind and decided to come to Iowa would you not want him becasue he was not not honoring his commitment and not honoring his commitment is a BAD THING?

If I had an offer from Iowa, Alabama, and Stanford, I would commit to Iowa, and have no problem taking trips to check out the other 2...and I'd probably have fun too.

So if he committed to Alabama but then changed his mind and decided to come to Iowa would you not want him becasue he was not not honoring his commitment and not honoring his commitment is a BAD THING?

If I had an offer from Iowa, Alabama, and Stanford, I would commit to Iowa, and have no problem taking trips to check out the other 2...and I'd probably have fun too.
If I had an offer to Iowa, Alabama, and Stanford, I'd visit all three before committing to one. And I would have fun.

And then I'd commit to Stanford.

If I had an offer to Iowa, Alabama, and Stanford, I'd visit all three before committing to one. And I would have fun.

And then I'd commit to Stanford.

Good for you, but his best chance at the NFL is with Iowa. Iowa has twice as many OL in the NFL as Stanford and 2 more than Alabama. There's a reason for that and it's coaching. At Alabama he would be just another 4 star recruit to.

Good for you, but his best chance at the NFL is with Iowa. Iowa has twice as many OL in the NFL as Stanford and 2 more than Alabama. There's a reason for that and it's coaching. At Alabama he would be just another 4 star recruit to.

I don't agree that necessarily just because he plays at Iowa he will have a better shot at the NFL. Soon statistically Bama could pass Iowa with O-lineman drafted considering the talent they bring in. Bama is just known to get players drafted in general. Iowa is better known for TE's and OL but that could fade.

No, kids who struggle to pick different schools are not handling things wrong. In fact, I just visited Madison, Wisconsin last weekend to attend a conference with my daughter, who is a senior in high school, on what to look for when picking schools. I talked to plenty of kids who, while not high-profile, have much more difficult choices to make than this kid.

So hypothetically speaking... Let's say your daughter graduates at the top of her class in Finance. She applies for several dream jobs, but unfortunately doesn't land any of them so she decides to take a job with a less heralded company for quite a bit less pay. A company who has been battling to stay out of the red, and doesn't provide a lot of long term job security. Then right before she's supposed to start her new job she gets a phone call from one of her dream jobs who says the person they decided to go with originally didn't work out and they would be honored to have her as a part of their team.

Is she wrong for taking the dream job because she already committed to the other less reputable company? Even if the dream job better serves her long term interests?

In my opinion, there isn't a wrong choice in this situation. Same as Ross P. Both of them would be stupid not to consider all of their options. I think you're being narrow-minded.

I don't agree that necessarily just because he plays at Iowa he will have a better shot at the NFL. Soon statistically Bama could pass Iowa with O-lineman drafted considering the talent they bring in. Bama is just known to get players drafted in general. Iowa is better known for TE's and OL but that could fade.

Alabama recruits are almost all 4 star athletes so it's a miracle were ahead of them now. Maybe you attribute it to KF going to church more than NS? They have always had the tradition and better recruiting than us.

So hypothetically speaking... Let's say your daughter graduates at the top of her class in Finance. She applies for several dream jobs, but unfortunately doesn't land any of them so she decides to take a job with a less heralded company for quite a bit less pay. A company who has been battling to stay out of the red, and doesn't provide a lot of long term job security. Then right before she's supposed to start her new job she gets a phone call from one of her dream jobs who says the person they decided to go with originally didn't work out and they would be honored to have her as a part of their team.

Is she wrong for taking the dream job because she already committed to the other less reputable company? Even if the dream job better serves her long term interests?

In my opinion, there isn't a wrong choice in this situation. Same as Ross P. Both of them would be stupid not to consider all of their options. I think you're being narrow-minded.
That is a poor analogy. Why would my daughter commit to the less prestigious job a year and a half before she was expected to start working? That is the situation here. Ross had no urgency in making a commitment, but he committed early anyways. If he wanted other offers, he shouldn't have committed. This isn't that hard to comprehend.

If you're 100% sure, commit. If you're not, DON'T COMMIT!

Latest posts