Iowa's prize recruit having second thoughts?

TM, I have to disagree. OLWPAORWWM isn't just saying this because he is an awesome football player, I think he made that clear IMO. OLWPAORWWM believes that all people regardless of their age, sport and skill level shouldn't make a commitment unless they are going to honor it. I do agree with him normally, this year being the exception because of fact that this program is in a "make it or break it" stage. Maybe I am letting my opinion of how bad this program did last season cloud the meaning of commitment but I think there has been a decline in commitment across the board in all things not just football.

One way to look at this is everyone on here hates it when coaches withdrawal scholarship offers to make room for better players. How would this whole board and football community feel if KF told Ross P. on signing day, "Oh, sorry Ross we don't have room for you, didn't think you were serious about your commitment." This board would riot.

My point was that we only know what the kid is thinking because he's a football player. Countless kids go through the same process, and we don't give a second thought to them. And it really wouldn't seem surprising if OLWPAORWWM would lecture an 18 year old, complete stranger on how they should handle their own business.

A kid isn't committed until he signs the dotted line. That's how it is in any part of life. You can tell a military recruiter that you'll enlist, but you can back out at any point, up until the moment you sign your name. If our word was all that was needed, why would we bother getting it in writing in the first place?

Last edited:
My point was that we only know what the kid is thinking because he's a football player. Countless kids go through the same process, and we don't give a second thought to them. And it really wouldn't seem surprising if OLWPAORWWM would lecture an 18 year old, complete stranger on how they should handle their own business.

TM, I'm sorry but I thought you said we only cared because he was an awesome football player? I get your point but that wasn't how I took it.

I guess for me I look at it as case by case basis. Take Delano Hill last season, Iowa's only 4-star commit for a while he committed and then switched to Michigan. Before and after his commitment to Iowa he said Michigan was his dream school and that he wanted to play college football with his bestfriend who was going to Michigan. Michigan was full but they had some things change and then they offered Delano. I wasn't mad at Delano for "not honoring his commitment" because from his interviewed I understood what happened. Not to mention that a 17 year olds decisions don't affect me.

TM, I'm sorry but I thought you said we only cared because he was an awesome football player? I get your point but that wasn't how I took it.

I guess for me I look at it as case by case basis. Take Delano Hill last season, Iowa's only 4-star commit for a while he committed and then switched to Michigan. Before and after his commitment to Iowa he said Michigan was his dream school and that he wanted to play college football with his bestfriend who was going to Michigan. Michigan was full but they had some things change and then they offered Delano. I wasn't mad at Delano for "not honoring his commitment" because from his interviewed I understood what happened. Not to mention that a 17 year olds decisions don't affect me.

The only reason we're even talking about it is because his decision-making process is out in the open for all to see, and that's a product of his being a star football recruit.

As for Hill, I don't see how that's any different, at least not while using OLW's logic on this (I'm not going to keep looking up how to get his screen name spelled right).

The only reason we're even talking about it is because his decision-making process is out in the open for all to see, and that's a product of his being a star football recruit.

As for Hill, I don't see how that's any different, at least not while using OLW's logic on this (I'm not going to keep looking up how to get his screen name spelled right).

tm, I don't blame Ross P. or Hill for how they handled their business, I don't. I do normally support the "don't commit until you're truly ready" standpoint that I think OLW was making. But when the kids tell you up front what's going on in their mind, it's their choice and if KF didn't like it he would pull their offer.

I have read in recruiting articles that players are quoted saying 'I was told if I didn't commit, the coaching staff was moving on." Hence the De'Andre Johnson vs. James White back in the fall of '09. James White said in an article that Iowa told him they had one spot for another RB and the first to commit got the spot. De'Andre Johnsn committed first so James White's offer got pulled. James had said at that time it was between Iowa and Wisconsin but he was on an Iowa lean but wasn't ready to commit. Eventually he committed to Wisconsin.

Latest posts