~Iowa's 2019 NCAA Resume Quadrant Breakdown~

Iowa bumped up to 25th in NET rankings.

A couple of observations: UNI is getting close to becoming a Q3 win but, OTOH, UConn is also getting close to being downgraded to a Q3 win.

I still can't believe Nebraska is our best win so far.

View attachment 4856

UConn has been hovering around the upper 80s, hopefully they don't continue to dip.

Dang, Minnesota went from 48 to 63 and Illinois went from 126 down to 99. What a difference 1 game makes!

Dang, Minnesota went from 48 to 63 and Illinois went from 126 down to 99. What a difference 1 game makes!

Kind of crazy to see that kind of jump at this point into the season but the efficiency from that game was kind of insane.

upload_2019-1-17_11-35-21.png

For Illinois, posting 1.242 PPP (Pts per possession) on offense and only allowing .889 PPP is elite level.

1.242 PPP on average would be the best in the nation while allowing just .889 PPP on defense would rank 12th in the nation. That's a big net margin increase for Illinois.

As for Minnesota, it's the exact opposite.

They added the upcoming games to the team sheets, that makes it easier.

Also, UNI moved up to a Q3 but yesterday's games are not yet included.

Capture.PNG

Last Updated: 1/23/19
  • Updated for games through 1/22/19
  • The UNI neutral win jumped up to a Q3 win
  • The Rutgers away game got bumped up to a Q2 game
  • The Indiana home game bumped down to a Q2 game

NET Quadrants per NCAA:
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
View attachment 4895

*excludes additional Quadrant 1, 2, or 3 Big Ten Tournament game/s

Last Updated: 1/23/19
  • Updated for games through 1/22/19
  • The UNI neutral win jumped up to a Q3 win
  • The Rutgers away game got bumped up to a Q2 game
  • The Indiana home game bumped down to a Q2 game
Barring a major upset we will end the season undefeated in Quadrants 2 through 4. I know there are some bad teams (wins) in Quadrant 4. But ending the season with no losses outside of Quadrant 1 means zero bad losses on the season. And that sounds a lot like an NCAA bid.

Last Updated: 1/28/19
  • Updated for games through 1/27/19
  • The UNI neutral win bumped back down to a Q4 win

Barring a major upset we will end the season undefeated in Quadrants 2 through 4. I know there are some bad teams (wins) in Quadrant 4. But ending the season with no losses outside of Quadrant 1 means zero bad losses on the season. And that sounds a lot like an NCAA bid.

Agreed, and still is the case today after the Minnesota game.

Agreed, and still is the case today after the Minnesota game.
And it will be a major upset if any of the remaining non Quadrant 1 games are losses.

The average Kenpom ranking (through yesterday's games) of our first 11 conference opponents is 31. The average Kenpom ranking of our last 9 conference opponents is 47. If we lose Friday to Michigan I think we follow up our second 3 game losing streak with another strong stretch...something like 6-1 in the next 7. Then we try to get a split on the road to end the season...no easy task but doable.

Note - I am by no means writing off the Michigan game as a loss. I actually expect to win that game. We are playing at home with 5 days rest (see MN yesterday). Michigan is playing on the road with 3 days rest (see IA yesterday). It makes a difference.

And it will be a major upset if any of the remaining non Quadrant 1 games are losses.

The average Kenpom ranking (through yesterday's games) of our first 11 conference opponents is 31. The average Kenpom ranking of our last 9 conference opponents is 47. If we lose Friday to Michigan I think we follow up our second 3 game losing streak with another strong stretch...something like 6-1 in the next 7. Then we try to get a split on the road to end the season...no easy task but doable.

Note - I am by no means writing off the Michigan game as a loss. I actually expect to win that game. We are playing at home with 5 days rest (see MN yesterday). Michigan is playing on the road with 3 days rest (see IA yesterday). It makes a difference.

You may be right about that. Iowa should be favored in at least 4 of those 7(Northwestern, Rutgers x 2, & Indiana at home). Lose any of those 4 and they will have to make up for it by winning on the road.

Win the 4 I mention above and win just one more of the other 4 remaining road games or beat Maryland at home and that makes a 10-10 conference record. Anything better than that is gravy to me. (I expected 10-10 before the season).

You may be right about that. Iowa should be favored in at least 4 of those 7(Northwestern, Rutgers x 2, & Indiana at home). Lose any of those 4 and they will have to make up for it by winning on the road.

Win the 4 I mention above and win just one more of the other 4 remaining road games or beat Maryland at home and that makes a 10-10 conference record. Anything better than that is gravy to me. (I expected 10-10 before the season).
That 7 game stretch after Michigan where I expect no worse than a 5-2 record the average Kenpom ranking of the 7 opponents is 57. That's 26 lower than the first 11 conference games. I don't think 6-1 is unrealistic.

That 7 game stretch after Michigan where I expect no worse than a 5-2 record the average Kenpom ranking of the 7 opponents is 57. That's 26 lower than the first 11 conference games. I don't think 6-1 is unrealistic.

It's definitely possible. I'm expecting at least .500 ball the rest of the way and hoping for better.

Last Updated: 2/4/19
  • Updated for games through 2/3/19
  • The Pittsburgh home game dropped down to a Q3 win
  • The UNI neutral game bumped back up to a Q3 win
  • The Nebraska home game dropped down to a Q2 win

Every time I think UConn or Oregon are about to get on a roll and improve Iowas resume....nope

Every time I think UConn or Oregon are about to get on a roll and improve Iowas resume....nope

Yep, same here. In an ideal world it would be nice if they could both crack the top 50 to become Q1 wins. I'd throw in UNI staying in the top 200 to stay a Q3 and Pitt cracking the top 75 to become a Q2. All but UNI are below .500 in their conferences and UNI comes in at exactly .500.

Kind of disappointing considering all 4 programs were playing much better year in and year out a few years ago.

Hold serve at home, split the road games and they are sitting just fine. No horrible losses, a signature win, take one at least in the BTT and there we go.

Hold serve at home, split the road games and they are sitting just fine. No horrible losses, a signature win, take one at least in the BTT and there we go.

It'll be interesting to see Iowa vs Maryland. Bruno owned us last year and Maryland hung 91 points on us.

NET Quadrants per NCAA:
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
View attachment 4959

*excludes additional Quadrant 1, 2, or 3 Big Ten Tournament game/s

I don't see us losing any of the non Quad 1 games. And I think we will win at least 3 of the Quad 1 games.

Last Updated: 2/8/19
  • Updated for games through 2/7/19
  • The UNI neutral game dropped back down to a Q4 win
  • The Penn State away game bumped up to a Q1 win

Latest posts