~Iowa's 2019 NCAA Resume Quadrant Breakdown~

Something I found very interesting is that the PAC 12 is super pathetic in the NET rankings. Their top team right now is Washington at #38. Next is Arizona at #51 and then Arizona State at #80. Only 3 teams in the top 80!

While I doubt the PAC 12 is a single bid league, they might seriously only get one or two teams to the dance.

This obviously bodes very well for Iowa and the B1G In general

Last Updated: 1/14/19
  • Updated for games through 1/13/19
  • UConn moved up to a Q2 win thanks to beating SMU and playing Cincinnati close

Something I found very interesting is that the PAC 12 is super pathetic in the NET rankings. Their top team right now is Washington at #38. Next is Arizona at #51 and then Arizona State at #80. Only 3 teams in the top 80!

While I doubt the PAC 12 is a single bid league, they might seriously only get one or two teams to the dance.

This obviously bodes very well for Iowa and the B1G In general

PAC 12 is awful. The new Big East has them beat by quite a bit to be the 5th best conference.

upload_2019-1-14_10-14-39.png

For those interested, here's the P12 composite as well:

upload_2019-1-14_10-15-56.png

No teams in the top 35 of any of the rankings above and they have by far the two worst teams out of the top 6 conferences in California and Washington State. Ouch.

PAC 12 is awful. The new Big East has them beat by quite a bit to be the 5th best conference.

View attachment 4836

For those interested, here's the P12 composite as well:

View attachment 4837

No teams in the top 35 of any of the rankings above and they have by far the two worst teams out of the top 6 conferences in California and Washington State. Ouch.

DAMN! They are closer to being in 7th place than they are to 5th place. I'm seeing a lot of bubble teams in that conference, they may not get many bids this year.

DAMN! They are closer to being in 7th place than they are to 5th place. I'm seeing a lot of bubble teams in that conference, they may not get many bids this year.

Yep, that's the way it's looking unless the top half decides to stop losing to the bottom half.

Yep, that's the way it's looking unless the top half decides to stop losing to the bottom half.
JG10 - do you have an update for every team in the country, like that link you gave me the other day? I really like to see how Iowa stacks up. I checked the link you sent, but it didn't update. Is there a place that you find that at?

JG10 - do you have an update for every team in the country, like that link you gave me the other day? I really like to see how Iowa stacks up. I checked the link you sent, but it didn't update. Is there a place that you find that at?

You can find the data here. I think the one I posted before was for the "Nitty Gritty". There's a spreadsheet one there as well as the team sheets for whatever your preference is.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

A lot of our opponents are getting a nice boost with Syracuse knocking off Duke. UConn, Oregon, and Ohio State.

We have 9 more games against quad 1 teams. If we win the other 5 games, we would need to win 2 of the other 9 games to get to 10-10. Since we've already gone 3-3 in quad 1 games, 2-7 the rest of the way seems pretty doable.

Also we have had 0 games against quad 3 teams so far.

One thing I like about this new ranking is how quad 4 starts at 161. That eliminates the flaw in the RPI where someone who plays a 250 team gets a huge bump over someone who plays a 330 team.

Last Updated: 1/15/19
  • Updated for games through 1/14/19
  • No quadrant changes
  • Pitt's win over Florida State solidified them as a Q2 win for now
  • Oregon received a nice bump due to Syracuse beating Duke
  • Indiana home game is barely holding on as a Q1 game after their loss to Nebraska
  • Added Iowa's NET ranking at the top for easier comparison

Last Updated: 1/15/19
  • Updated for games through 1/14/19
  • No quadrant changes
  • Pitt's win over Florida State solidified them as a Q2 win for now
  • Oregon received a nice bump due to Syracuse beating Duke
  • Indiana home game is barely holding on as a Q1 game after their loss to Nebraska
  • Added Iowa's NET ranking at the top for easier comparison

Iowa beat UConn, UConn beat Syracuse, Syracuse beat Duke = Iowa > Duke.

Bet that blasted your Quads just reading it.

Iowa beat UConn, UConn beat Syracuse, Syracuse beat Duke = Iowa > Duke.

Bet that blasted your Quads just reading it.

Iowa beat UNI, UNI beat Old Dominion, Old Dominion beat Syracuse, Syracuse beat Duke = Iowa > Duke ;)

Odd thing is, UConn didn't move at all while Oregon did. Oregon did beat Syracuse by 10+ though. Without digging any further my guess is some other teams on Oregon's schedule helped them out. I would really like to know what the first component of the NET actually consists of...

One thing I like about this new ranking is how quad 4 starts at 161. That eliminates the flaw in the RPI where someone who plays a 250 team gets a huge bump over someone who plays a 330 team.

The bump wasn't the opponents ranking in the RPI system, the bump was whatever their record was and their opponents record. You could schedule an RPI +300 team and if their record finished above .500 they didn't hurt you that bad. Granted it was probably unusual to have a team with an above .500 record be ranked above 300 RPI.

The bump wasn't the opponents ranking in the RPI system, the bump was whatever their record was and their opponents record. You could schedule an RPI +300 team and if their record finished above .500 they didn't hurt you that bad. Granted it was probably unusual to have a team with an above .500 record be ranked above 300 RPI.

Pretty much... Get lucky/schedule smart by playing smaller teams that end up in the upper half of their conference and the RPI would skew positively in your direction more than it should have compared to teams that wound up unlucky and played the doormats of those leagues. The result of said games should be a win for the power conference school no matter if it was against a smaller league conference contender or smaller league conference doormat.

Bonus points if you scheduled and beat Mid Major conference contenders.. Those teams would tend to have better OWP and OOWP (beat up on the smaller schools as well) than the smaller school teams that wound up contending in their conferences.

Reading through several of these posts reminds me of how happy I am that the Big 10 had so much success in the non conference season. There are almost no bad losses to be had playing a Big 10 game. And there are tons of opportunities for good wins.

In the PAC 12 there are almost no opportunities for good wins. There are tons of opportunities for bad losses. Side Note - I'm not sure the PAC 13 merits more than 1 or 2 bids this year.

Big 10 teams winning non conference games...including some quality wins...helps all 14 teams on Selection Sunday. It's why there is a very real possibility the conference gets 10 teams in the field this year...assuming no one falls apart over the final 14 games. I still think there is a pretender or two in the mix...Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin or Minnesota perhaps.

Last Updated: 1/16/19
  • Updated for games through 1/15/19
  • Indiana home game has been bumped down to a Q2 game.

Iowa bumped up to 25th in NET rankings.

A couple of observations: UNI is getting close to becoming a Q3 win but, OTOH, UConn is also getting close to being downgraded to a Q3 win.

I still can't believe Nebraska is our best win so far.

Capture.PNG

Last Updated: 1/17/19
  • Updated for games through 1/16/19
  • The Rutgers away game bumped down from a Q2 to a Q3
  • The Indiana home game bumped back up from a Q2 to a Q1
  • The UNI neutral win is close to becoming a Q3 if they can get into the top 200

Latest posts