~Iowa's 2019 NCAA Resume Quadrant Breakdown~

I'm not exactly sure how NET rankings work but I'm guessing after losing to Rutgers last night that Ohio State will be a quad 2 team coming in? They were ranked 28th before but they have to remain in the top 30 to stay in that quad 1 since it's a home game.

I'm just curious, not that it matters much at this point in the season. Just pile up the wins and sort this out later. But it's fun to look at.

I'm not exactly sure how NET rankings work but I'm guessing after losing to Rutgers last night that Ohio State will be a quad 2 team coming in? They were ranked 28th before but they have to remain in the top 30 to stay in that quad 1 since it's a home game.

I'm just curious, not that it matters much at this point in the season. Just pile up the wins and sort this out later. But it's fun to look at.

You are correct, Ohio State will most likely fall to a quadrant 2 after losing to Rutgers. Below is a summary I posted about the NET a while back. The only unknown is what "good team" means in their first portion of the formula.

upload_2018-12-18_8-21-45-png.4695

1. Team Value Index - No clue what actually is involved in their formula to decide what "good teams" are. It sounds similar to #4 but with an unknown element of whatever a "good team" is. Appears it may have a SOS element but it's not defined.

2. Net Efficiency - Simple enough, it's the net margin of efficiency (offense and defense) based on the number of possessions. No SOS element here so same reward for dominating a bad team as it is for dominating a good team.

3. Winning Percentage - In it's simplest form. Again no SOS element here.

4. Adjusted Winning Percentage - Brought in from the RPI, you are rewarded/least punished for road wins/losses the most, then neutral wins/losses, and rewarded the least/punished the most by home wins/losses. No SOS element.

5. Scoring Margin - Again in its simplest terms but capped at 10. Games that go into OT are capped at positive/negative 1. No SOS element so beating a really good team on the road by 10+ and beating a really bad team at home by 10+ is worth the same.

Summary - Unless the information that has been released is inaccurate, there is no SOS element involved outside of maybe #1. The "Team Value Index" term of "good team" is the only unknown. There is no opponent's winning percentage or opponent's opponent winning percentage component involved like the RPI had unless of course this is the "good team" metric mentioned in #1.

Don't look now, but Pitt is 11-4 and just beat Louisville, who was a top 30 NET. Jury still out on some of these wins. OR still has a chance to turn it around too - I don't think there's a ton of hope for UConn.

Don't look now, but Pitt is 11-4 and just beat Louisville, who was a top 30 NET. Jury still out on some of these wins. OR still has a chance to turn it around too - I don't think there's a ton of hope for UConn.
The good news is those won't turn into bad losses because we won the games.

Last Updated: 1/10/19
  • Updated for games through 1/9/19
  • Pitt moved up to a Quad 2 home win after beating Louisville
  • Ohio State got bumped down to a Quad 2 home game this weekend after their loss to Rutgers

I used to like when you could click on a team on Lunardi's bracket on ESPN and it would give you a complete resume on every team. Made it easy to compare resumes. They have either done away with that, or they don't do it until later in the year? Either way, I would love to see how the rest of the country stacks up vs the NET or RPI or whatever.

Iowa is up to 29th on the NET rankings. Both UConn and Oregon have upgraded to Q2 wins.

UNI could upgrade soon also. They beat Drake today and just need to get into the top 200.

Capture.PNG