Iowa Targeting January for New OC

Required Qualifications:
  • Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent);
  • Minimum of three (3) years football coaching experience at the NCAA level or five (5) years successful coaching experience in a highly competitive environment including at a major high school, college, professional level or combination;
  • Demonstrated knowledge of the NCAA rules and a commitment to adhere to all rules and regulations of the University of Iowa, the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA (or conference and institutional equivalent);
  • Ability to work constructively and collaboratively in a diverse environment, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships;
  • Proven success in recruiting national caliber student-athletes;
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills as demonstrated through public speaking engagements, clinician experience, and/or use of effective and creative training/coaching techniques;
  • Extensive knowledge of and the ability to:
    • Utilize basic Microsoft Office productivity software including X.O.’s Thunder® software;
    • Operate effectively within a highly regulated team environment including effective organization and administrative skills;
  • Genuine passion for and experience with supporting the holistic development of student-athletes, recognizing the interconnectedness of mental health and overall well-being;
  • A valid U.S. driving license and the ability to meet and maintain University of Iowa Driving Program standards.
Desired Qualifications:
  • Ten or more years Intercollegiate and/or Professional Football (or combined equivalent) of football coaching experience;
  • Successful football offensive coordinator experience in a Division 1, FBS collegiate or professional football program;
  • Basic knowledge and understanding of the professionalism and intensity necessary to successfully contribute to a Division I athletics program;
  • Extensive proficiency and ability to:
    • utilize a video analysis system (please specify);
    • utilize an online recruiting database (ex: ACS, XOs Scout, etc.);
    • maintain productive, long-term relationships with staff, students, prospects, coaches, and patrons.
Application Process: Visit our website at http://jobs.uiowa.edu and search for keywords “Assistant Coach” Only applications submitted at https://jobs.uiowa.edu will be accepted.
  • Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
  • Applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a relevant file to the submission. Applications without both a cover letter and resume will be considered incomplete and ineligible for consideration.
  • Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
  • Successful candidates will be subject to a credential/education verification and criminal background check and be required to self-disclose any conviction history.
  • Five professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
  • As a part of the University of Iowa’s review of your application and consistent with its policies and practices, the University may access and/or view information about you that is job-related and publicly available on the internet, including but not limited to information on social media sites. The access, viewing and/or use of such information is governed by the University’s Policy on Human Rights, as well as state and federal law.
  • For questions or additional information, please contact athl-human-resources@uiowa.edu.
Additional Information
  • Classification Title: Assistant Coach
  • Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
  • Schedule: Full-time
  • Work Modality Options: On Campus
Compensation
  • Pay Level: 09
  • Starting Salary Minimum: Commensurate
Contact Information

Could be, but to play Devil's advocate...

Would an OC want to step into a situation with an elite defense, a future 1st round pick at LT, a future high draft pick at TE, proven RBs, a low bar (anything around the middle of the pack makes this person a God), great stability, and a proud head coach who just MIGHT be willing to tweak his approach to burnish his legacy? Obviously the last bit is the part up in the air, but I don't think the position is as much of a wasteland as some are making it out to be.
Good grief! Iowa is a proven competitor in the BT, in a dog fight for the best conference in the country. Probably a big salary. Not expected to be a super star change agent out of the gate. Head coach highly respected, except by HN trolls. Honestly, I think the idea that nobody worthwhile wants to come to Iowa because KF has a conservative O is absurd. Try reality instead of anti KF bias. (Not pointed at CP87)

As times goes on we keep losing candidates. A few days ago it was reported Bill O'Brien to Ohio State and now there is a report of Tommy Rees to the Cleveland Browns. Oh Well.

WTF is taking so long?! seriously . Don’t waste your money to go see the movie “night swim” not worth it, wait to download it. Thought I’d actually add something to this thread that would help someone out.

Damn, Kirk must have so many damn apps to go through he just hasn't been able to narrow it down. You watch, it's going come down to promoting with in.

Good grief! Iowa is a proven competitor in the BT, in a dog fight for the best conference in the country. Probably a big salary. Not expected to be a super star change agent out of the gate. Head coach highly respected, except by HN trolls. Honestly, I think the idea that nobody worthwhile wants to come to Iowa because KF has a conservative O is absurd. Try reality instead of anti KF bias. (Not pointed at CP87)
Proven competitor in the BTW. Big difference. Specifically, 96 points this year

The longer this goes, the more Kirk is thinking about not having an OC and not fielding an offense. Wouldn’t be much different than the last couple years anyway.

I was happy with Kirk’s first pick. Hopefully he comes up with a second choice that will impress even more and that person will take the job.

And yet another day passes. Wonder who and when the lone and only applicant will be hired? Is Kirk's number the same as the Maytags man of yesteryear ? I fear the big splash is going to bellyflop.

And yet another day passes. Wonder who and when the lone and only applicant will be hired? Is Kirk's number the same as the Maytags man of yesteryear ? I fear the big splash is going to bellyflop.

Get some damned optimism. Ken O'Keefe is still on the board!

I remembered an interview Kirk gave not too long ago. He talked about the kind of person he likes to hire. One aspect that he said mattered back 25 years ago was a certain emotional maturity...(my words) the ability to endure stuff... someone who's ego isn't on the line. He said Norm Parker had his share of stuff in life that gave him the perspective and patience that would be required. He knew it wasn't going to be easy for a few years. And having the kind of person who could handle the adversity mattered.

I wonder how much that is playing into his selection.

I remembered an interview Kirk gave not too long ago. He talked about the kind of person he likes to hire. One aspect that he said mattered back 25 years ago was a certain emotional maturity...(my words) the ability to endure stuff... someone who's ego isn't on the line. He said Norm Parker had his share of stuff in life that gave him the perspective and patience that would be required. He knew it wasn't going to be easy for a few years. And having the kind of person who could handle the adversity mattered.

I wonder how much that is playing into his selection.
I would guess, yup.

Latest posts