Iowa Targeting January for New OC

Interesting. Well, obviously Johns is a candidate. I reviewed his coaching history and he has had very good success with Duke, Memphis and Indiana (which led the B1G in scoring under him in 2015).
I would be happy with this hire. Scuttle is that KF is meeting with at least one more candidate in IC this week. I suspect we have an announcement early next week.

I would be happy with this hire. Scuttle is that KF is meeting with at least one more candidate in IC this week. I suspect we have an announcement early next week.
I would as well.

He certainly checks a lot of the boxes. If he's a high-character guy (which we trust Kirk will emphasize) and connects well with players, it could be a home run.

Johns left Indiana for a MAC school. Hmm
Went to TX Tech, was fired after one year.
Went to Memphis.
Been at Duke for 2 years.
Did spend several years at NW

Last edited:
It is interesting that he does move around a lot. In some cases, after his head coach gets fired like at Indiana or TT. But sometimes his head coach does not take Johns with him when the head coach moves up to a better school. Which is the main reason Johns does not have a job right now.

Johns’ spread offense includes lots of motion and high usage of run-pass options to get playmakers in space. Is Kirk really thinking of hiring a spread offense coach?

It is interesting that he does move around a lot. In some cases, after his head coach gets fired like at Indiana or TT. But sometimes his head coach does not take Johns with him when the head coach moves up to a better school. Which is the main reason Johns does not have a job right now.

Johns’ spread offense includes lots of motion and high usage of run-pass options to get playmakers in space. Is Kirk really thinking of hiring a spread offense coach?
He let Davis modify the offense quite a bit from what KOK was doing. I suspect he will let who ever he hires have a relatively free hand to design the offense, but obviously within the 50/50 ratio, protect the ball type philosophy. Let's hope there is some element of spread/read option to the offense as that will ensure that Hill is pushed out the door. The rest of the QBs can all run as needed.

He did have a number of top 40 offenses at various schools. We've thought Iowa would only have to be in the top 70-75 to take it to the next level. If he can be around 35-50, it's a good hire, IMO. Plus, he has a QB background which is badly needed at Iowa.

He let Davis modify the offense quite a bit from what KOK was doing. I suspect he will let who ever he hires have a relatively free hand to design the offense, but obviously within the 50/50 ratio, protect the ball type philosophy. Let's hope there is some element of spread/read option to the offense as that will ensure that Hill is pushed out the door. The rest of the QBs can all run as needed.

I agree. KF will stick to philosophy as far as ball control, line of scrimmage and time of possession.

I agree. KF will stick to philosophy as far as ball control, line of scrimmage and time of possession.
If it is Johns, he seems to come from a power running type spread attack. More like OSU or Kstate. Will be an interesting mix with KF, but there will be a lot of power running, but generally not by the QB (given who we have in the room). But, the QB will have to be mobile at some level.

If it is Johns, he seems to come from a power running type spread attack. More like OSU or Kstate. Will be an interesting mix with KF, but there will be a lot of power running, but generally not by the QB (given who we have in the room). But, the QB will have to be mobile at some level.

I am not at all opposed to that kind of power running game.

Some stats from the GoDuke website (credited):

Duke: "In just one season under Johns, the Blue Devils went from last in the ACC in 2021 to fifth, fifth, and seventh in scoring offense, total touchdowns and passing touchdowns, respectively. In addition, Duke improved in pass efficiency (11th in 2021 to fifth in 2022) and total offense (seventh in 2021 to fourth in 2022)..."

Memphis: "During each of his three seasons, Memphis was among the top five in the American Athletic Conference in scoring offense, including averaging 30.1 points this past season...

...In his first season, Memphis ranked among the top 20 nationally in nine statistical categories: passing yards (7th), scoring offense (8th), passing yards/completion (9th), total offense (10th), first downs (10th), passing efficiency (10th), passing offense (17th), passing touchdowns (17th) and third down percentage (19th). The Tigers accumulated more than 500 yards of total offense seven times on the year, including 542 yards versus Big Ten foe Penn State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic..."

Texas Tech: "He guided a Red Raiders offense that ranked fourth in the country with 352.6 passing yards per game and 12th with 485.2 total yards per game. Texas Tech also averaged 37.3 points per game that season, which was the fourth-best mark in the Big 12..."

Indiana: "The Hoosiers rewrote 54 school records during Johns’ time there, including season marks for points, total yards, passing yards and rushing yards."

Last edited:
Johns left Indiana for a MAC school. Hmm
Went to TX Tech, was fired after one year.
Went to Memphis.
Been at Duke for 2 years.
Did send several years at NW
Too bad you forgot to mention the head coach and his staff were all fired due to a new hire at TT and Indiana. I am sure that was an oversight on your part.

His roots are air raid but he's incorporated power running and tight end.

My only pause with him would by why Norvell didn't take him to FSU from Memphis and why didn't Elko bring him to A&M.