Iowa Targeting January for New OC

His roots are air raid but he's incorporated power running and tight end.

My only pause with him would by why Norvell didn't take him to FSU from Memphis and why didn't Elko bring him to A&M.
Probably because they could buy better OCs at those bigger schools. Klein was a huge get for Elko.

Doesn't mean that Johns isn't good, just perhaps not elite. I will take competent at this point. And he can coach QBs.

My only pause with him would by why Norvell didn't take him to FSU from Memphis and why didn't Elko bring him to A&M.
My questions as well. Manny Diaz going to Duke and not keeping doesn't concern me too much as Diaz is going to want to hire his own and someone who fits his scheme/philosophy.

Yes. Thought the same thing. When a coach has very good success statistically and is left behind by their HC, you have to wonder about something more esoteric, such as personality, character, etc. It would be a red flag, and I would hope that Kirk would reach out to the former coaches and pointedly ask that question.

Have to remember that KF lives in a bubble. I doubt he understands how anxious the fans are to hear about this hire. I suspect it never dawned on him that anyone would notice him eating breakfast at a hotel with some random guy.

??? His stats for 2023. I'll pass.

But, he only played in 7 games sec to some ankle/leg injuries.

View attachment 10663
Looks considerably better than anything we have put on the field in 4 years.
Notre Dame does not share your indifference.
Neither does Johns.

Yes. Thought the same thing. When a coach has very good success statistically and is left behind by their HC, you have to wonder about something more esoteric, such as personality, character, etc. It would be a red flag, and I would hope that Kirk would reach out to the former coaches and pointedly ask that question.

I don't think he called plays at Indiana or Memphis (worked with HCs who called plays), but he did at Duke.

I'm with @NorthKCHawk , I am game for anything that is a change from what we have seen and whiffs of competence.

Looks considerably better than anything we have put on the field in 4 years.
Notre Dame does not share your indifference.
Neither does Johns.

Yes, but 57% passing with ankle and leg issues doesn't excite me. That wasn't the only season he was around 55%, His year last year was good and he was a bit over 60%. But, I suppose it could be one back year with the injuries.

I don't think he called plays at Indiana or Memphis (worked with HCs who called plays), but he did at Duke.

I'm with @NorthKCHawk , I am game for anything that is a change from what we have seen and whiffs of competence.
As I posted earlier in the thread, I'm perfectly fine with Johns based upon what I have read.

At the same time, considering his success, the fact that his head coaches passed on adding him to their new staffs gave me pause. It does make one wonder, and we will have to trust that Kirk does his due diligence here.

Very few coaches breed the type of loyalty that KF does. Its just unusual in today's age.

When Brian Kelly left ND, no coach wanted to go with him. He did just fine. I doubt Harbaugh is taking his staff with him to the NFL. I seem to recall that the biggest mistake attributed to Scott Frost at Nebbie was taking his junior college staff with him. Sometimes a big promotion to a big time program means you need to upgrade your coaching staff because you have the budget to buy someone better.

I don't read too much into how much he has bounced around and whether two of his HCs wanted him to be part of a much more expensive staff at a new school. He has been competent and productive where ever he has been as best I can tell. We have had neither the last 4 years.

We all know how KF is. My question is, why would he have a meeting in public? I know I'm reading too far into this, but...
1. KF doesn’t really care if you somehow catch him at the kinnick courtyard for breakfast with a random (non-descript) guy for breakfast
2. He isn’t worried about who else is looking at the guy so no real secrecy
3. The Iowa media have been his proverbial lapdog for 24 years so it really doesn’t matter