Interesting insight about Street from clone fans

Honestly, that's a really good question. Why wasn't there a bunch of this type of talk last year on the 19th anniversary of his passing? Or the year before? The media likes to grab a hold of something and squeeze it until you can't stand the subject anymore. Personally, I think Nile Kinnick should get the attention. He died a hero.

Like most occasions, specific time frames are remembered/celebrated.

Did you have a 19th year class reunion?

It's an event. It's a small period of time where people can remember someone and honor them.

In regards to Kinnick, Iowa does a ton to respect him and celebrate him. I can't even begin to list them all. If you don't know those then, well, ok.

You're just bitter because he broke out the "Cool Starry Bra" before you did. I ain't one for rating clown trolls, but I gotta give him some credit. Kid's got some game.

thanks, even if you're kidding. As long as I'm better then that Hok guy. And no, that wasn't me.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me that a bunch of college aged kids don't know much of anything about a kid that was killed 20 years ago? Interesting. Also, you mean to tell me that a bunch of college aged kids don't show respect to someone they don't know? Shocking. Being honest here, not really that many people care anymore about Chris Street's death. Nile Kinnick on the other hand, that I get.

Signed,

The 16-page thread on CyFan about it.

Signed,

The vast array of articles in the Register, Cedar Rapids Gazette, and ICPC about it.

Signed,

KCCI's 1/2 hour special this past Thursday night about it.

Signed,

You responding in this thread about it.

It's pretty easy to lump cyclone fans into a big group when nobody was defending the coverage, and telling those dismissing Chris as to why they were being ignorant. Now, being the thread was deleted, and I wasn't able to read it, I'm not sure if Cyclone fans in 35+ age group were educating the others as to why this was such a big deal. Wheat, Hoiberg, and Meyer got it, they knew it was about more than basketball.

I know a couple of Cyclone fans down here that actually represent the fanbase well. Unfortunately, the bad fans I've met and the constant little brother attitude on cyfan have caused me to want them to lose every game they play. But even as much as I dislike them now, had it been Hoiberg instead of Chris, I would not be acting the way they are.

Well, you're wrong.
The media coverage in Iowa and nationally suggest otherwise. As does the atmosphere that was inside Carver-Hawkeye.

Just because Cyclone fans don't care about Chris Street (the PERSON, not his DEATH mind you), doesn't mean no one else does.
20 years have come and gone and it's a chance to celebrate his life, what he brought to the state of Iowa, to the Hawkeye program, what he did to impact kids' lives, etc...

There are people who care, yes there are.

This. My mom, who taught Chris in junior high at Mormon Trail, wanted me to write about him last year. I told her that wouldn't fly. 20th anniversary is a much, MUCH stronger peg than the 19th anniversary. The only reason last year's would have worked at all was because Chris would have turned 40 last February.

It's pretty easy to lump cyclone fans into a big group when nobody was defending the coverage, and telling those dismissing Chris as to why they were being ignorant. Now, being the thread was deleted, and I wasn't able to read it, I'm not sure if Cyclone fans in 35+ age group were educating the others as to why this was such a big deal. Wheat, Hoiberg, and Meyer got it, they knew it was about more than basketball.

I know a couple of Cyclone fans down here that actually represent the fanbase well. Unfortunately, the bad fans I've met and the constant little brother attitude on cyfan have caused me to want them to lose every game they play. But even as much as I dislike them now, had it been Hoiberg instead of Chris, I would not be acting the way they are.

There were a lot of individuals, who fell in the camp of having no problem with the coverage and pointed out good reasons of why it should happen. Of course everybody immediately draw attention to the negative.

The funny thing is people seem to think jihad members of message boards (who do much of the posting) speak for the entire fanbase. Its like saying Al Qaeda represents all Muslims..

I have no problem with any of the coverage. Street was a great player who died tragically, and way too soon.

Where you lose me is yukking it up here at HN over Hoiberg's heart blowing up or Stevie Hicks' suicide, then getting all upset that some Clones don't understand the Chris Street tragedy. Can't have it both ways.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me that a bunch of college aged kids don't know much of anything about a kid that was killed 20 years ago? Interesting. Also, you mean to tell me that a bunch of college aged kids don't show respect to someone they don't know? Shocking. Being honest here, not really that many people care anymore about Chris Street's death. Nile Kinnick on the other hand, that I get.

The appropriate thing to do is to not say (post) anything. I do not expect someone who is not old enough to remember Street to relate, but show respect and if that is to much then say nothing. The excuse they are college kids means nothing to me, if some one came on this board and disrespected someone like Brian Pearson at least 10 of us would flame them (and have fun doing it).

This October will mark the 90th anniversary of Jack Trice's death. I hope it gets some media attention. It was tragic how he died and I wonder if most ISU students even know the story behind who the stadium is named after. This Hawkeye fan does and I will blast anybody that comes to this forum and complains about any attention it gets.

Most the people over there were too young. You have to remember college kids are 20 years old. I had never heard of him until this year but I did wonder why Fred wore #40 when I was younger. I barely remember watching Fred play and I've been graduated a few years. Knott gets exposure because he is All-American material and ISU was his only BCS offer and it happened THIS YEAR. Knott that hard to figure out why he got the exposure he did. I do appreciate the coverage so I could learn more about it, just like I watch ESPN 30 for 30 to learn more about players of the past like Ben Wilson.

The appropriate thing to do is to not say (post) anything. I do not expect someone who is not old enough to remember Street to relate, but show respect and if that is to much then say nothing. The excuse they are college kids means nothing to me, if some one came on this board and disrespected someone like Brian Pearson at least 10 of us would flame them (and have fun doing it).

This October will mark the 90th anniversary of Jack Trice's death. I hope it gets some media attention. It was tragic how he died and I wonder if most ISU students even know the story behind who the stadium is named after. This Hawkeye fan does and I will blast anybody that comes to this forum and complains about any attention it gets.
I think this is honorable thinking, but unfortunately not true.

You have way too much hope for the human race if you expect that from college kids of today.

Actually, I think it would happen. Pearson's untimely death does not get enough coverage, it never has really.

I rooted for Palmer when they were in the state final and respected Pearson as player.

You have way too much hope for the human race if you expect that from college kids of today.

It is not what I expect from college kids, it is what I expect from mature adults to help make that college kid understand what is and is not appropriate.

Most the people over there were too young. You have to remember college kids are 20 years old. I had never heard of him until this year but I did wonder why Fred wore #40 when I was younger. I barely remember watching Fred play and I've been graduated a few years. Knott gets exposure because he is All-American material and ISU was his only BCS offer and it happened THIS YEAR. Knott that hard to figure out why he got the exposure he did. I do appreciate the coverage so I could learn more about it, just like I watch ESPN 30 for 30 to learn more about players of the past like Ben Wilson.

Knott's story is definitely current, and I had no issue with the coverage it got. But Street's has been made an important figure in the basketball program at Iowa. His is a legacy the program wants to place highly, and it's been that way for 20 years. It's not surprising that a 20th anniversary of something like this would get a ton of coverage, particularly in a state like Iowa, where there are no professional teams (and nearly all of the logical pro teams in the region are either out of season or out of the playoffs).

I disagree, I for one would be all over it.

Did you know there is a scholarship named in his honor? A scholarship that can be awarded to anyone regardless of which college they chose, a couple of them have went to Iowa.

Actually, I think it would happen. Pearson's untimely death does not get enough coverage, it never has really.

I rooted for Palmer when they were in the state final and respected Pearson as player.
I am quite sure you would be respectful, but I don't have the same faith in others here that have proven they don't respect the health or death of other Cyclones.

I have no problem with any of the coverage. Street was a great player who died tragically, and way too soon.

Where you lose me is yukking it up here at HN over Hoiberg's heart blowing up or Stevie Hicks' suicide, then getting all upset that some Clones don't understand the Chris Street tragedy. Can't have it both ways.

Never heard anything about Hoiberg and his heart? Troubles? Proof of threads over here?

Latest posts