If hawks win the next two....

First of all, the Hawks are not winning their last 7 games. Second, if they did they would for sure make the tourney. They would be 20-11 and a top five seed in the BTN tournament. They would have wins over UM, Indiana, Illinois and a sweep of UW and Minnesota. Find me a BTN team that goes 12-6 with a top five finish that misses the tournament. Wont happen. They wont even be on the bubble, they will be a lock.

I agree, and you sir have a dinner coming your way if it happens.

I have said it before, and I will say it again:

If we win out, we will be National Champions.....

Quite simple, really.....

:D

Here's the way I see it.

We are currently 5-6 in the league, .5 games out of 5th place and in 9th (or, tied for 8th). If we go 5-2 in the last 7, that puts us at 10-8, 18-13. 10-8 should be good enough for either 5th, or a tie for 5th. Too inconsistent to go 5-2? Maybe. But tell me, of the 5 through 9 teams right now, which of those is consistent? Indiana? They lost 4 of 5 a couple of weeks ago. Illinois? They've lost 4 of 5 currently. Minnesota? They lost 4 straight at one point. Purdue? Please.

Now that we've established that NONE of those teams has been a beacon of consistency this year, which team has the best shot to get to 10 wins? The next element becomes scheduling. Go ahead and compare the schedules of those 5 teams, and you will see Iowa has the most favorable schedule left. So, why not Iowa?

So, assuming Iowa finishes 10-8 and 5th, and the B1G gets 7 teams in (current projections are 8 or 9), how would the committee justify passing up the 5th place team by taking the 8th, especially if the 5th place team beat that 8th place team twice (assuming Minny)?

If Iowa gets to 10-8, the bid is theirs. Either that, or the conference isn't getting nearly as many teams in as all the prognosticators (including Lunardi) are projecting. Given the reputation of the league this year, I find that hard to believe. A 10-8 mark in this league, this year, wipes away the stains from the bad OOC losses, especially when you consider a 10-8 finish would mean 7-2 in the final 9.

If the Big 10 is truly the toughest conference in the country with quality teams at least 1-10 then going 12-6 is absolutely going to put you in.

no. I think winning the BT tourney is the only way they get in. I just don't see them winning the rest of their games. Too many bad loses earlier in the year.

the fact that this thread hasn't died a quick death is just a testament to the power of the Black and Gold Kool-Aid.

1)The Big 10 isn't that good, they aren't getting 8 or 9 teams in the tourney
2)Go find me the last team that was 13-11 on February 7th that made the tourney without winning their conf. tourney. I bet it doesn't happen very often, if ever.

If Iowa goes 10-8 and makes the finals in the BTT. MAYBE a bubble team. But I don't see it happening anyways.

the fact that this thread hasn't died a quick death is just a testament to the power of the Black and Gold Kool-Aid. 1)The Big 10 isn't that good, they aren't getting 8 or 9 teams in the tourney2)Go find me the last team that was 13-11 on February 7th that made the tourney without winning their conf. tourney. I bet it doesn't happen very often, if ever.

Is be willing to bet that's because they don't finish winning their last seven in conference and going 12-6, NOT because they did and got shut out. Again 12-6 would be good for 4 or 5 in conference.

To our credit I haven't seen anyone say they think we are going 12-6 in conference. So as long as everyone understands we are talking about hypotheticals its not a big deal.

I'll say it again, if we go 12-6 in conference we are in and its not really even debatable.

We aren't going 12-6 and its not really even debatable.

Is be willing to bet that's because they don't finish winning their last seven in conference and going 12-6, NOT because they did and got shut out. Again 12-6 would be good for 4 or 5 in conference.

To our credit I haven't seen anyone say they think we are going 12-6 in conference. So as long as everyone understands we are talking about hypotheticals its not a big deal.

I'll say it again, if we go 12-6 in conference we are in and its not really even debatable.

We aren't going 12-6 and its not really even debatable.

Hope is alive on these boards. :)

2)Go find me the last team that was 13-11 on February 7th that made the tourney without winning their conf. tourney. I bet it doesn't happen very often, if ever.

Penn State was 13-11 (6-7) after beating Northwestern last year on February 13th. They made the NCAA tourney and did not win the Big Ten Tournament last year. They were 7-4 in non-conference with a terrible home loss to Maine.

The B1G is better than it was last year too.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/213/year/2011/penn-state-nittany-lions

Penn State was 13-11 (6-7) after beating Northwestern last year on February 13th. They made the NCAA tourney and did not win the Big Ten Tournament last year. They were 7-4 in non-conference with a terrible home loss to Maine. The B1G is better than it was last year too. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/213/year/2011/penn-state-nittany-lions

duh, winning.

ok, these Penn State comparisons have got to stop. Does anyone even remember what happened down the stretch last year? Penn State finished the regular season 16-13 overall and 9-9 in conference play and were headed to the NIT. They got hot in the Big Ten tournament squeaking by Indiana, winning one of the most ugliest games I have ever seen over Wisconsin, knocking off MSU, and then running out of gas against Ohio State in the championship game. They probably knocked out Northwestern from getting into the tournament for the first time as they were considered a bubble team.

Someone just asked the last 13-11 team this late in the year to make the NCAA trny w/out winning the BTN trny. The last team to do that was Penn State, and it happened to be last year. That is why it was brought up. Everyone keeps saying that Iowa has no chance to make the NCAA tournament without winning the BTN tournament. While the chances are very slim, the fact is they can still make the tournament without winning the conference tournament.

ok, these Penn State comparisons have got to stop. Does anyone even remember what happened down the stretch last year? Penn State finished the regular season 16-13 overall and 9-9 in conference play and were headed to the NIT. They got hot in the Big Ten tournament squeaking by Indiana, winning one of the most ugliest games I have ever seen over Wisconsin, knocking off MSU, and then running out of gas against Ohio State in the championship game. They probably knocked out Northwestern from getting into the tournament for the first time as they were considered a bubble team.

Cliche didnt think there was a team that was 13-11 on Feb 7th ever making the tournament without winning their conference tourney. All I did was prove you only have to go back to last year to find a team that fit the criteria he laid out.

I still dont understand why people think that IF the Hawks were to get to 10-8 or 11-7 in conference that they would still have to win the B1G tourney to be in the big dance. PSU proved last year that you can suffer through a horrendous non-conference slate, finish .500 in conference and get hot at the end of the year and receive an at-large bid, and a #10 seed on top of that.

Cliche didnt think there was a team that was 13-11 on Feb 7th ever making the tournament without winning their conference tourney. All I did was prove you only have to go back to last year to find a team that fit the criteria he laid out.

I still dont understand why people think that IF the Hawks were to get to 10-8 or 11-7 in conference that they would still have to win the B1G tourney to be in the big dance. PSU proved last year that you can suffer through a horrendous non-conference slate, finish .500 in conference and get hot at the end of the year and receive an at-large bid, and a #10 seed on top of that.

THAT WAS AWESOME! You just completely destroyed the argument that Iowa CAN'T get into the NCAA tourney with 10 or 11 conference wins.

If Iowa somehow gets to 10 wins in conf, they probably still need 1 or 2 in conf, just depends on who they beat in the 5 wins to close out the year.

The real issue is their RPI.
Remember, PSU was able to get their RPI up to sub-50. That really helped them get in, as well as finishing 7-3 in the L10.

Right now Iowa's RPI is 117. That's going to take a lot of work to lower.

It also helped that last year, the overall field was weaker. I mean, UAB and Clemson got in.

A lot of different elements that go into it.

Anything could and has happened, if Iowa can get on a 4 game winning streak to end the season like Penn State did then they might get a shot. But this team is to damn inconsistent to think anything like that can happen. All of this NCAA talk will quiet down again after they get blown out by Northwestern on Thursday.

Latest posts