If hawks win the next two....

The Hawks finish out the season going 5-2, 1) it means at least 1 win over Illinois, Wisconsin or Indiana, 2) a top half Big Ten conference finish, 3) a guaranteed 18-14 record, 4) wins over teams in the NCAA tournament. They'd be a lock for the NIT.

If they do the same and somehow get to the finals of the BTT, they'll end up 22-13 or 21-14, and would get a NCAA bid.

By either measure, it would be a wildly successful season, far beyond the expectation of the fans, and put pressure on the football team to step up and start exceeding expectations as well. So, as I see it, these next 7 games are critical for the entire Iowa athletic department and the overall mental well-being of the fanbase. That, and the decision of Alex Kozan.

I honestly cant tell if you are being serious or mocking me.

Actually being serious. I think if the Hawks get to 10 or 11 wins they could make the tourney....not a lock by any means, but it is possible and you gave an example from last year on how it can happen.

If Iowa somehow gets to 10 wins in conf, they probably still need 1 or 2 in conf, just depends on who they beat in the 5 wins to close out the year.

The real issue is their RPI.
Remember, PSU was able to get their RPI up to sub-50. That really helped them get in, as well as finishing 7-3 in the L10.

Right now Iowa's RPI is 117. That's going to take a lot of work to lower.

It also helped that last year, the overall field was weaker. I mean, UAB and Clemson got in.

A lot of different elements that go into it.

That.

I freaking hate the interwebz. And in my defense I said " I bet it doesn't happen very often". The fact that it happened last year doesn't refute that statement.

Here's the way I see it.

We are currently 5-6 in the league, .5 games out of 5th place and in 9th (or, tied for 8th). If we go 5-2 in the last 7, that puts us at 10-8, 18-13. 10-8 should be good enough for either 5th, or a tie for 5th. Too inconsistent to go 5-2? Maybe. But tell me, of the 5 through 9 teams right now, which of those is consistent? Indiana? They lost 4 of 5 a couple of weeks ago. Illinois? They've lost 4 of 5 currently. Minnesota? They lost 4 straight at one point. Purdue? Please.

Now that we've established that NONE of those teams has been a beacon of consistency this year, which team has the best shot to get to 10 wins? The next element becomes scheduling. Go ahead and compare the schedules of those 5 teams, and you will see Iowa has the most favorable schedule left. So, why not Iowa?

So, assuming Iowa finishes 10-8 and 5th, and the B1G gets 7 teams in (current projections are 8 or 9), how would the committee justify passing up the 5th place team by taking the 8th, especially if the 5th place team beat that 8th place team twice (assuming Minny)?

If Iowa gets to 10-8, the bid is theirs. Either that, or the conference isn't getting nearly as many teams in as all the prognosticators (including Lunardi) are projecting. Given the reputation of the league this year, I find that hard to believe. A 10-8 mark in this league, this year, wipes away the stains from the bad OOC losses, especially when you consider a 10-8 finish would mean 7-2 in the final 9.

Awesome 1st post. Don't be a stranger to these forums.

the fact that this thread hasn't died a quick death is just a testament to the power of the Black and Gold Kool-Aid.

1)The Big 10 isn't that good, they aren't getting 8 or 9 teams in the tourney
2)Go find me the last team that was 13-11 on February 7th that made the tourney without winning their conf. tourney. I bet it doesn't happen very often, if ever.

I freaking hate the interwebz. And in my defense I said " I bet it doesn't happen very often". The fact that it happened last year doesn't refute that statement.

:D

Didn't we have this discussion a couple of weeks ago only to see us lay an egg vs. Nebraska? Folks, this team ain't winning 10 B1G games-it's too inconsistent and not talented enough to do so. Maybe 8 wins and that would be more than anyone would have dreamed about before the conference season began.

Hope I'm wrong though ;)

all have good arguments but lets just find out what team shows up at northwestern state before we can predict or even discuss post season. gentlemen and gentlewomen and children , lets just wait and see what happen next few weeks .

Didn't we have this discussion a couple of weeks ago only to see us lay an egg vs. Nebraska? Folks, this team ain't winning 10 B1G games-it's too inconsistent and not talented enough to do so. Maybe 8 wins and that would be more than anyone would have dreamed about before the conference season began.

And the dynamite went BOOM

And the dynamite went BOOM

you are doing it wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Latest posts