If hawks win the next two....

Iowa would be on the bubble......of being on the bubble.

The only chance the Hawks have of dancing is winning the conference tourney. I know some of you disagree, but that is the reality. I see most people referencing conference records, yada yada yada. The committee looks at more than just conference records folks - they also consider OOC results. And Iowa's OOC results are not that impressive.

Loss to Clemson at home stings. Were blown out in Cedar Falls. But the one that really really hurts is the home loss to Campbell. That is going to leap right off the page to the committee, as will the home conference loss to Nebraska.

NIT maybe. NCAA - no chance. Drink all the kool-aid you want, it's not happening this year.

Iowa would be on the bubble......of being on the bubble.The only chance the Hawks have of dancing is winning the conference tourney. I know some of you disagree, but that is the reality. I see most people referencing conference records, yada yada yada. The committee looks at more than just conference records folks - they also consider OOC results. And Iowa's OOC results are not that impressive.Loss to Clemson at home stings. Were blown out in Cedar Falls. But the one that really really hurts is the home loss to Campbell. That is going to leap right off the page to the committee, as will the home conference loss to Nebraska. NIT maybe. NCAA - no chance. Drink all the kool-aid you want, it's not happening this year.

This is beyond dum.

Iowa would be on the bubble......of being on the bubble.

The only chance the Hawks have of dancing is winning the conference tourney. I know some of you disagree, but that is the reality. I see most people referencing conference records, yada yada yada. The committee looks at more than just conference records folks - they also consider OOC results. And Iowa's OOC results are not that impressive.

Loss to Clemson at home stings. Were blown out in Cedar Falls. But the one that really really hurts is the home loss to Campbell. That is going to leap right off the page to the committee, as will the home conference loss to Nebraska.

NIT maybe. NCAA - no chance. Drink all the kool-aid you want, it's not happening this year.

Firstly, let me say that I don't think we'll be making the tourney, no way, BUT with a 12-6 conference record there is no way that we would get left out of the tourney. Yes, the selection committee considers the OOC schedule, but they also consider how well a team is playing going into the tournament. You really think that if Iowa won every remaining game (not talking about the B10 tourney) then they would get left out? Please.

This is beyond dum.

Explain Einstein.

Or is name calling all you have?

I don't see what is so dumb about it. Iowa doesn't dance unless they win the B10 tourney. Their out of conference losses, as well as the Nebraska loss, are reason enough to keep them out. Tournament teams don't lose to f'ing Campbell.

I agree, but honestly, if they lose the first game in the B1G tourney against... a NW or PSU or Nebby? That complicates things, because, they don't have any redemption chances against MSU or Ohio State. The huge losses to those teams sticks in my mind a lot. Would a win against Indiana at home and Illinois on the road make up for that? Maybe, but only with a solid run in the B1G tourney.

Firstly, let me say that I don't think we'll be making the tourney, no way, BUT with a 12-6 conference record there is no way that we would get left out of the tourney. Yes, the selection committee considers the OOC schedule, but they also consider how well a team is playing going into the tournament. You really think that if Iowa won every remaining game (not talking about the B10 tourney) then they would get left out? Please.

Yes, I do think that. I don't believe Iowa is a tournament team, plain and simple.

But it's really a moot point as Iowa isn't going to win every remaining game. Is the schedule favorable? Yes. But this team is way to inconsistent to go on that kind of run.

And I will gladly eat crow if they succeed.

If we win the next 7, we will most likely win one or two in the Big10 tourney, so we'd be in.

Keep the faith man!!! It can happen.

I'd love for it to happen, make no mistake about it.

I just don't think consistency is a strength of this team.

Yes, I do think that. I don't believe Iowa is a tournament team, plain and simple.

But it's really a moot point as Iowa isn't going to win every remaining game. Is the schedule favorable? Yes. But this team is way to inconsistent to go on that kind of run.

And I will gladly eat crow if they succeed.

I just don't think there's any way you can go 12-6 in the B10 (one of the best, if not thee best basketball conference in college basketball top-to-bottom) and NOT get into the tournament. That would be just too good of a conference record, and I especially think the selection committee would want them since they were playing so well down the stretch. Once again, I don't think this would ever come close to happening, but for argument's sake..

This is beyond dum.
Explain Einstein.Or is name calling all you have? I don't see what is so dumb about it. Iowa doesn't dance unless they win the B10 tourney. Their out of conference losses, as well as the Nebraska loss, are reason enough to keep them out. Tournament teams don't lose to f'ing Campbell.

Because you are only looking at half the of the picture, namely the losses. You are completely discounting the wins, which factor in far more heavily when they compare "bubble" teams. Every team on the bubble has proven they can lose, that's how they got to the bubble to begin with. It's who the bubble teams have beat that really matters.

Should Iowa win out in conference they will have beaten Wisky twice, Indiana once, Minny twice, NW on the road, and Ill on the road. Those are seven quality wins and would easily overshadow a bad OOC loss.

I just don't think there's any way you can go 12-6 in the B10 (one of the best, if not thee best basketball conference in college basketball top-to-bottom) and NOT get into the tournament. That would be just too good of a conference record, and I especially think the selection committee would want them since they were playing so well down the stretch. Once again, I don't think this would ever come close to happening, but for argument's sake..

Agree. If Iowa goes 12-6 in the best conference in the country, this would include wins over Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin x2. Having won at least nine out of the last 10, if not more depending on the conference tournament goes. That team doesn't get in the NCAA tournament? Do people watch basketball outside of Iowa? Do you realize how down the Pac 12 is, and how bad the ACC and Big East are outside of the top few teams? There is not a strong bubble at all this year.

No. If they win the rest of their games they are not a bubble team. Let's just let that rest. IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

LOL!! If Iowa wins out and goes 12-6 in the B1G...they are absolutely not going to be a bubble team you are right. They will be a lock.

However, I'm sensing you meant it as in there is no way that Iowa would make the tourney even if they win out....

Damn a 12-6 record would put Iowa, what, 4th place?

Sign Fran to a lifetime contract if that happens!!!!

The goal should be to have a winning record. That puts the Hawks in a post season tourney (not NCAA) and is a nice improvement over last year. Real Time RPI thinks we'll only win one more game the rest of the year. I think we can win 3 more (2 wins out of 3 at home and at Penn State).

no, we have to beat Indiana to start thinking "we could get there". I think Wisconsin is the only game we could lose that wouldn't really hurt us as a bubble team. Indiana and Illinois are must wins to be a bubble team. Splitting with Indiana and going 2-2 against the teams we only play once is more important the sweeping Wisconsin.

Because you are only looking at half the of the picture, namely the losses. You are completely discounting the wins, which factor in far more heavily when they compare "bubble" teams. Every team on the bubble has proven they can lose, that's how they got to the bubble to begin with. It's who the bubble teams have beat that really matters.

Should Iowa win out in conference they will have beaten Wisky twice, Indiana once, Minny twice, NW on the road, and Ill on the road. Those are seven quality wins and would easily overshadow a bad OOC loss.

yes and plus they would have to be top ranked defensive team for next 7 games in order to win out and at the same time be high scoring team . i think its not possible but anything is possible..

Its nice to speculate about the NCAA tournament as fans.

I don't think we will get in this year unless we finish up 5-2 (makes no difference who we beat either) over the next 7 and win 2 games in the Big10 tournament. That would put us at 21-13 (I believe) and a lock for the NCAA as an 8 or 9 seed.

Realistically we are looking at the NIT with 4 more wins plus 1 in the Big10 tournament. If we win 3 or less then the CBI may be an option and I would take it.

That is a very small margin for error over the remaining games.

Latest posts