Howe: Big Dance a Watershed Moment for Hawkeye Program

12-6 to 10-8 to 4-14 last season. What "same spot" are you talking about? How you describe the direction of the program over the last 3 years? Smh.

I describe it as one tanked season mixed into 6 other seasons that were really close to the same.

Its amazing how just one player can transform a basketball program. Our future would be bleak without Wieskamp....for example.

Fran really needs to hit on another stud besides just Foster. Next year is a huge recruiting year for Fran considering all that he's losing.

Our future could be bleak WITH Wieskamp if Fran doesn't land a strong 2020 class. Recruiting over the next year will be the survive or die determinant for Fran. We will be slow, weak and unathletic unless he lands some studs. (please, no more bony white kids between 6'5"- 6'10" that look like they haven't eaten in a year.)

Avoid using anecdotal coach to make generalizations. Coach X was young and a great fundamental coach, he was hired and failed, therefore don't hire a young, outstanding, fundamental coach, stick with the average coach you have.
So don't use Smart or Alford as examples, because that would never happen again if we hire another hot new young coach. This time we will get it right for sure.

So don't use Smart or Alford as examples, because that would never happen again if we hire another hot new young coach. This time we will get it right for sure.
Agree, tough to hire the right guy, but that's why you have a competent AD, and pay him/her well to do it.

That's a plummet of -8 games over 3 seasons.

And like I said, he tanked one year. Then the very next year was right back to normal. His normal since his first 2 years is winning between 18 and 22 games. My original point stands.

Now the question is, can he get us to a higher level now that the program has been established longer than a couple years. It should be easier to recruit here now than it was for the last 2 senior classes. Are guys like Wieskamp, Garza, Nunge, Fredrick, Joe T. Connor, and Patrick an upgrade over the guys that played with Marble, White, and Uthoff? Has Fran improved as a Big 10 coach? If the answers to one or both of those questions is yes, he probably hasn't reached his ceiling yet. If they are both no, he probably has.

If he hasn't reached his ceiling, then we will be in pretty good shape. If he has reached his ceiling, he will probably leave after 4 more years of barely making the tournament or barely missing the tournament (hopefully making it 3 out of the 4 years at least). He will leave the program on solid footing to give our new AD by that time (hopefully) the best possible chance of hiring an upgrade. That scenario is far from ideal, but it's not the end of the world either.

Avoid using anecdotal coach to make generalizations. Coach X was young and a great fundamental coach, he was hired and failed, therefore don't hire a young, outstanding, fundamental coach, stick with the average coach you have.
Anecdotal is worthwhile because it is practical/experiencial.

So if you want to counter with an weight the naysayers your argument would be a successful anecdotal coach that you described not just an imagination.

But ALL I was telling you is you just described Shaka Smart since you fluffed it off with a shrug because you didn’t know the name.

The success of next year's team will be the doing or undoing of the McCaffrey era. Depending who stays and who leaves will be just one factor. I do not see the incoming freshman offering much help. Adding Nunge and Fredericks to the roster really only adds inexperience as well. The fortunate thing is that the teams above Iowa are losing some significant talent. Unfortunately the defensive abilities will not be any better. If the W/L drops back below this year's results and the recruitment slides backward then you are going to have to make a change.

Fran already described this year's season as "tremendous." Why would we expect or want more?

If you were getting his paycheck wouldnt you think it was tremendous?

“Thank you Sir may I have another please.” Now repeat that nine (seasons) times. Then close your eyes Dorothy (Kirk and Fran) and click your heels together and say five times “There’s no place like Iowa.” Barta is the idiot behind the curtain and the Iowa fan base is that chicken shit lion holding it’s own tail. Board of Regents? You guessed it......... the scare crow and if they only had a brain. This forum after a loss is the witch who got doused with water and is melting down. o_O

Last edited:

So if you want to counter with an weight the naysayers your argument would be a successful anecdotal coach that you described not just an imagination.

But ALL I was telling you is you just described Shaka Smart since you fluffed it off with a shrug because you didn’t know the name.
I took his ignorance of Shaka Smart to be a dodge to avoid a fact I brought up. If he in truth does not know who Shaka Smart is, we can pretty much dismiss anything he has to say about college hoops.

The success of next year's team will be the doing or undoing of the McCaffrey era. Depending who stays and who leaves will be just one factor. I do not see the incoming freshman offering much help. Adding Nunge and Fredericks to the roster really only adds inexperience as well. The fortunate thing is that the teams above Iowa are losing some significant talent. Unfortunately the defensive abilities will not be any better. If the W/L drops back below this year's results and the recruitment slides backward then you are going to have to make a change.
Cook 2019: 959 minutes / 18 blocks / 24 steals
Nunge 2018: 525 minutes / 25 blocks / 21 steals

Point being I think Nunge will be a major upgrade defensively to Cook.

Understood, I don't know of Smart.

I took his ignorance of Shaka Smart to be a dodge to avoid a fact I brought up. If he in truth does not know who Shaka Smart is, we can pretty much dismiss anything he has to say about college hoops.
I was thinking the same. If you don’t know who Shaka Smart is should you really be talking about the hiring and firing of college basketball coaches?

Just curious, thinking of Garza and Nunge sort of reminds me of Lutes FF team w/ Waite and Krafcisin for comparison- were their skill sets similar? I know the sport has changed dynamically over the years, and of course we had one of the best PG's ever in Iowa history at the time, but the support cast held its own when Lester was down with an injury. And Lute was a pretty good coach..............

If you were getting his paycheck wouldnt you think it was tremendous?

“Thank you Sir may I have another please.” Now repeat that nine (seasons) times. Then close your eyes Dorothy (Kirk and Fran) and click your heels together and say five times “There’s no place like Iowa.” Barta is the idiot behind the curtain and the Iowa fan base is that chicken shit lion holding it’s own tail. Board of Regents? You guessed it......... the scare crow and if they only had a brain. This forum after a loss is the witch who got doused with water and is melting down. o_O
One aspect of the entire group at Iowa (AD on down to the coaches) is their ability to "spin" to the crowds.

"Other teams have rough stretches"

"So many fans can't be pleased, it is tough"

"We have a great group of people"

"We are working hard"

"We would win more if the refs didn't cheat"

"Most normal people would see that we have done tremendous things"

#####

"Gosh, Marge, I guess I was wrong thinking we might be ready for a coaching change at Iowa. Coach says we are doing great."

"I told you Herb, now go to bed."

I guess I wouldn't classify the chances of making the tournament next year as "pretty likely."

Iowa is a 10 seed this year and it's college basketball where transfers flow like water. I wouldn't assume that the only losses will be Baer and possibly Cook. I really wouldn't assume that.

I noticed on 247's page on Iowa 2019 recruiting that Bryan Greenlee is still listed as having "warm" interest. Is that because 247 simply forgot to change his status after Fran got Toussaint to sign or is it due to there being a wink, wink, nod, nod understanding with him that Iowa would look at bringing him in because it's likely more guys could leave other than Baer and probably Cook?

He's another pg though with underwhelming offers so probably not. Don't know how it all works.

I was thinking the same. If you don’t know who Shaka Smart is should you really be talking about the hiring and firing of college basketball coaches?
I don't watch much college basketball other than Iowa. I tend to watch/follow the teams I like, when they are doing well. Rams/Iowa/Twins/Golden Knights. I don't think I have watched one college BB game other than Iowa this year, so my big picture is limited. That said, I have played BB, wrestled, FB, tennis, and did time as an SID so I know something, but not everything. Thank you for bringing Shaka to my world of awareness.

I noticed on 247's page on Iowa 2019 recruiting that Bryan Greenlee is still listed as having "warm" interest. Is that because 247 simply forgot to change his status after Fran got Toussaint to sign or is it due to there being a wink, wink, nod, nod understanding with him that Iowa would look at bringing him in because it's likely more guys could leave other than Baer and probably Cook?

He's another pg though with underwhelming offers so probably not. Don't know how it all works.
I’m pretty sure it just hasn’t been updated. They aren’t going after Greenlee, especially if the plan is to get Cmac minutes next year. Iowa is in on multiple guards for 2020.

They are looking at a 2019 wing/forward by the name of Jerimiah Davenport out of Ohio but I don’t think anything has really come of it.

Latest posts