Howe: Big Dance a Watershed Moment for Hawkeye Program

Those sites are much more up to date with football recruiting than basketball recruiting. I would not be surprised if they both forgot to update his page.

If Iowa were to have an open schollies, I would hope Fran would go after graduate transfers.
I like the idea of going after grad transfers, but Fran really hasn’t gone that route. I look around the B1G and don’t see many grad transfers doing much this year in particular. Woods at Ohio state is average, Fitzner at Indiana didn’t do anything for them (except one game against Iowa). The market is pretty competitive as well.

Also depending on how it shakes out Iowa will probably have anywhere from 3-6 seniors on the roster, would we really want to add another one? Seems like a lot to replace in a single class. A two year transfer or a grad transfer the following year to graduate with Garza would probably make more sense from a scholarship class management standpoint.

Those sites are much more up to date with football recruiting than basketball recruiting. I would not be surprised if they both forgot to update his page.

If Iowa were to have an open schollies, I would hope Fran would go after graduate transfers.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Grad transfers works for me.

I like the idea of going after grad transfers, but Fran really hasn’t gone that route. I look around the B1G and don’t see many grad transfers doing much this year in particular. Woods at Ohio state is average, Fitzner at Indiana didn’t do anything for them (except one game against Iowa). The market is pretty competitive as well.

Also depending on how it shakes out Iowa will probably have anywhere from 3-6 seniors on the roster, would we really want to add another one? Seems like a lot to replace in a single class. A two year transfer or a grad transfer the following year to graduate with Garza would probably make more sense from a scholarship class management standpoint.

The thing about a one-year grad transfer is the scholarship opens back after one year. To me, it's an experienced player, most likely filling a role. And Iowa could use that in the backcourt.

The thing about a one-year grad transfer is the scholarship opens back after one year. To me, it's an experienced player, most likely filling a role. And Iowa could use that in the backcourt.

Exactly Rob. Instead of using it on a fallback, fallback project recruit like Dailey who will never pan out.

Have twice heard staff at events talk about U of I expectations for Grad Transfers. The jist being ballers actually attending Grad level courses while competing in BOTH semesters, and graduating.

Anyone, care to share with input? - again playing field being tilted against us by us.

Exactly Rob. Instead of using it on a fallback, fallback project recruit like Dailey who will never pan out.
I understand that logic, and again I’m not opposed to looking at a grad transfer guard for help. My point being are we really going to be able to land a grad transfer every year, and how quality are they going to be? That’s why I mentioned the B1G having really no big impact grad transfers this year, some years it can be fruitful, others who really knows.

So if we get a grad transfer next year and can’t find one the following year what happens? Do we eat the scholarship? Unlikely, and that’s where you can fall into the taking on too many projects which is what Iowa Hawk Guy is trying to avoid. Risky when we already have a large senior class plus my guess is next year is Connor’s last season playing basketball.

I detest the entire concept of a grad transfer for D1 sports. It is still my assertion that the majority of D1 mens athletes have no business in college, let alone grad school, so I say the whole thing is a sham.

I understand that logic, and again I’m not opposed to looking at a grad transfer guard for help. My point being are we really going to be able to land a grad transfer every year, and how quality are they going to be? That’s why I mentioned the B1G having really no big impact grad transfers this year, some years it can be fruitful, others who really knows.

So if we get a grad transfer next year and can’t find one the following year what happens? Do we eat the scholarship? Unlikely, and that’s where you can fall into the taking on too many projects which is what Iowa Hawk Guy is trying to avoid. Risky when we already have a large senior class plus my guess is next year is Connor’s last season playing basketball.

The thing is, there are a lot of unknowns. We don't know who is leaving after this season. We certainly don't know that next year is Connor's last playing basketball. I don't think it is and not sure where that is coming from. I fully expect him to play four years of basketball.

That there weren't grad transfers helping B1G teams much this year doesn't mean there won't be in the future. It's certainly a growing part of the college basketball landscape.

Why would Iowa need to get two grad transfers in successive classes? You find one for next season and then use that ride on an incoming freshman the next year.

A grad transfer guard next year is a safety net while CJF and Joe T develop. Moss and/or Dailey could leave, but even if they return, I thought Iowa needed another guard this year.

IMO, adding an experienced guard for one season is the way to go. It doesn't need to be a stud. And I'm not saying the coaches will be able to pull it off. All spring recruiting is a seller's market. That's the first thing I look into, though.

If we knew who was on pace to graduate in 3 years...this spring...we would have a better idea of the probability someone leaves. Playing right away versus sitting a year would likely be a consideration.

The thing is, there are a lot of unknowns. We don't know who is leaving after this season. We certainly don't know that next year is Connor's last playing basketball. I don't think it is and not sure where that is coming from. I fully expect him to play four years of basketball.

That there weren't grad transfers helping B1G teams much this year doesn't mean there won't be in the future. It's certainly a growing part of the college basketball landscape.

Why would Iowa need to get two grad transfers in successive classes? You find one for next season and then use that ride on an incoming freshman the next year.

A grad transfer guard next year is a safety net while CJF and Joe T develop. Moss and/or Dailey could leave, but even if they return, I thought Iowa needed another guard this year.

IMO, adding an experienced guard for one season is the way to go. It doesn't need to be a stud. And I'm not saying the coaches will be able to pull it off. All spring recruiting is a seller's market. That's the first thing I look into, though.
I think a guard of ours now would need to leave if we are adding one. Especially a grad transfer looking to play some. We are losing Baer and replacing him how? That's the tougher more important position to me. Eventually PM but he won't be ready to play much if at all day 1. I guess Nunge sorta kinda? Depending on how they use him and bring Pemsl back into the fold. I assume he'll be playing Cooks mins next yr if he leaves. As far as next yr goes having JBo, Moss, CM, Joe T and CJF in the mix I don't see many more mins for anyone new.

I think a guard of ours now would need to leave if we are adding one. Especially a grad transfer looking to play some. We are losing Baer and replacing him how? That's the tougher more important position to me. Eventually PM but he won't be ready to play much if at all day 1. I guess Nunge sorta kinda? Depending on how they use him and bring Pemsl back into the fold. I assume he'll be playing Cooks mins next yr if he leaves. As far as next yr goes having JBo, Moss, CM, Joe T and CJF in the mix I don't see many more mins for anyone new.

Patrick McCaffery is seen as Baer's replacement and will play from Day 1.

And, yes, someone has to leave in order for a scholarship to be open. Right now, Iowa is full.

Guys I can’t imagine leaving (this year) - Bohannon, Garza, Fredrick, Connor, Nunge and Wieskamp.

Guys unlikely to go (assuming Cook is gone) - Kriener and Pemsl

Seems probable - Cook

Possible - Moss and Dailey

Incoming - Patrick and Joe

Patrick McCaffery is seen as Baer's replacement and will play from Day 1.

And, yes, someone has to leave in order for a scholarship to be open. Right now, Iowa is full.
Hope PM puts on some serious weight in 7 or 8 months... You think he'll play more than Dailey day 1 if he comes back? PM from what I saw last of him needs 20 lbs and a redshirt year.. before even thinking about mixing it up in the paint at this level. But sounds like he won't get the RS year and I'll be impressed if he can add that much weight

Hope PM puts on some serious weight in 7 or 8 months... You think he'll play more than Dailey day 1 if he comes back? PM from what I saw last of him needs 20 lbs and a redshirt year.. before even thinking about mixing it up in the paint at this level. But sounds like he won't get the RS year and I'll be impressed if he can add that much weight

I think he will play more than Dailey and I think he will play regardless of how much weight he adds. I do think he will add weight, however, but not 20 pounds.

I admit i didnt watch Pmac play that much this year, but nothing I saw makes me feel his game or body is ready for Big Ten play next year.

This is no shot at Patrick by any means, but the thought of such a highly coveted player and the prize of a recruiting class being red shirted scares the hell out of me.

I've seen PM listed at 6'8" 175 and 6'9" 190. Which is more likely, Rob
Yeah I'm not sure what he weighs but his arms and legs are toothpicks. He's not winning any pushup contests. Not that he has to but he'll notice a huge difference in level of play next yr

Pure speculation on the first part.

The point about needing to get one the following year is about balancing classes. We’ve seen how much on uneven classes can put you behind. If we add a senior to next years roster we are probably going to have to bring in a class of 5 in 2020 (again depending on how it plays out). That’s too big imo.

Again I’m totally fine with bringing in a grad transfer guard, I wanted to do that as well last year. I’m really not an any disagreement with anything you're saying, I was just touching on the balancing of classes. With Fran at the helm it seems incredibly unlikely that we will pursue a grad transfer. Interesting offseason it will be for sure.

Last edited:
Pure speculation on the first part.

The point about needing to get one the following year is about balancing classes. We’ve seen how much on uneven classes can put you behind. If we add a senior to next years roster we are probably going to have to bring in a class of 5 in 2020 (again depending on how it plays out). That’s too big imo.

Again I’m totally fine with bringing in a grad transfer guard, I wanted to do that as well last year. I’m really not an any disagreement with anything you're saying, I was just touching on the balancing of classes. With Fran at the helm it seems incredibly unlikely that we will pursue a grad transfer. Interesting offseason it will be for sure.

Agreed. It's unlikely Fran gets a grad transfer unless his hand is forced through attrition.

Balanced classes are ideal and the goal, but with the landscape of college basketball these days, I think you put your best roster together each year and let the chips fall where they may.

Latest posts