Howe: Big Dance a Watershed Moment for Hawkeye Program

Translation:
The status quo is mediocre.
A new coach could improve the status quo.
A new coach could be worse than the status quo.
Therefore, accept the status quo of mediocrity.
Program is in the black, people involved are making nice coin. Longevity allows those same people to get their families "involved" in the future. There is no reason to push things, the bus might go over the ledge and the party will be over for "all of us."

It isn't that complicated.

I didnt say i was afraid to try, i am just pointing out the fact that going down a level is more likely than going up as history has demonstrated. Lets just look at hires in what I would consider the modern era at Iowa. Lets start with Lute, next coach Raveling, better recruiter, worse coach, next Mr. Davis, better coach, worse recruiter, overall a step up. Next, Alf hot young motivated coach who was worse in all areas. Next Lick, another step down in all areas. Next Fran. A step up from Lick for sure, a little better than Alf, near on par with Mr. Davis. So in 5 coaching changes 3 went down and only 2 up. The odds just are not in our favor.
I'm not so sure about that. Don't our odds increase? Since we haven't hit on a hire in decades. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. As long as he keeps looking.

I'm not so sure about that. Don't our odds increase? Since we haven't hit on a hire in decades. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. As long as he keeps looking.
Odds dont work that way. After you hit seven tails in a row, that 8th flip of the coin is still 50/50. If we on average hire 3 bad coaches for every 2 good coaches, (and given the recent history of big ten coaching hires not doing that well) the odds tell me we are due for another Alf hire.

Here's my Gary Barta interview video after the Meyer decision. He's not giving any shits about the $6.5M.

Rob, did you edit out the part of this interview when someone asked Barta if he was asked by the University as to how much of the $6.5 million he was going to personally contribute, and his answer was, "I told them I have photos and I'm not afraid to use them"? That would explain a lot. ;)

I think Iowa will get worked by the Bearcats on Friday. So this thread will likely get bumped 2 or 3 times this off season.

It's a universal argument when it comes to sports -- what are the reasonable expectations and when is it time to raise the bar?

Like most fans, I find myself going back and forth with Fran. While I have issues with his recruiting and game management, I also realize that he is a major step up from Alford and Lick.

Can Iowa do better? Probably, but, as others have pointed out, there's a substantial risk of taking the program backwards once again. Sometimes the stars align, other times they don't, but, that's the risk.

Personally, I think Barta missed a golden opportunity to fire Fran after his last meltdown. A case quite easily could have been made that he violated the ethics clause, qualifying him for dismissal "for cause." In the vast majority of sports contracts, that negates the buyout.

Yes, we would have lost Connor and Patrick, and, perhaps others, such as Garza and Frederick, but, the program would have sent a message that abusive anger outbursts are not tolerated, and that resonates particularly well with parents of potential recruits. Fran has had enough time to show the fan base that he's worth the big bucks. Late season collapses and 20+ point blow-outs are showing us just the opposite.

Ah. Is it more than $7M after next season? I thought it was $8M after this season and drops a million each year.
Idk. I was just insinuating that Barta may have renegotiated terms with Fran behind the scenes again (FOIA request). Maybe the buyout's $12 million now...

I have never heard of him. Sorry it didn't work out.

On the other hand, there are tons of young, talented, sane, great BB coaches who have never had the chance to be who they might become. I want one of those, in love with recruiting and coaching fundamental BB. Make Iowa a nightmare to play because of the defensive intensity Iowa brings. (How refreshing that would be) Iowa has learned to fade at the end of seasons. We need a coach who helps a team get better on every level as the season progresses.

If you want a championship team, you need some dynamic leadership. I am not a big fan of open-ended coaching contracts, going for average and being happy with average. You had your 6-8 years, time to try something else.
Yeah.
You just described Shaka Smart.

Here's my Gary Barta interview video after the Meyer decision. He's not giving any shits about the $6.5M.

I have never seen this interview before today. As a now retired school district administrator who served in public education for 40 years, I was impressed with Barta’s responses overall in this exchange. Some comments:

The commitment to principles in the decision making process is absolutely necessary and the most productive way to oversee an organization. The fallacy that a detailed and exhaustive list of “rules” will carry the day is just that...a fallacy. Rules are for managers. Adherence to valid principles defines leaders.

Barta’s track record in this high profile position indicates his success in established principles within which decisions are made. Gender bias over the course of his administration has not been an ongoing issue even in the very public world he lives in.

From experience, I can tell you that the top of the decision making chain is under constant scrutiny and the easy target for critics, many of whom lack the insight into the complex decisions made at this level. So, Barta has to suck it up, whh he did.

He referred often to the process within this controversy as having potential for improvements. Anyone who has been in a leadership position focuses in that area following a crisis.

He was abundantly clear that he consulted with the experts during this mess. That is what leaders do. They identify trustworthy sources and gather their knowledge, then decide.

I found his comments, as well as his poise, to be candid, open, and transparent.

The powers that be within the University clearly were surprised at the outcome. This should come as no great shock to anyone. Court rulings are often unpredictable and frankly, are influenced by current trends rather than settled legal data.

As to the future for Barta, when he is no longer a leader whose established principles are supported by his supervisors, he will likely be the first to recognize that fact, and will resign. Been there, done that.

Finally, for those that think I am a Barta advocate, you would be dead wrong. I am an advocate of highly principled leadership that shows effective results. You can take it from there at your leisure.

If you read this, thank you. If not, I don’t care.

Here is an example. There have probably been few examples that fit your young and dynamic description of a possible coach than Shaka Smart. How is that working out for Texas? My guess is many here would have killed to land smart four years ago when he left VCU for a big payday. Four years in at a school with very deep pockets and he is .500 overall and .431 in conference with two first round NCAA flame outs. Who saw that coming?

You use Smart as an example of the next hot coach not working out. But he can also be used as an example of a program accepting mediocrity. He's been no better than Fran over the last 4 years and he's at a program where it's a lot easier to win at. Why isn't he fired yet?

It’s amazing the athletic program they’ve built over their under an AD who demands success.

They are a 6 seed this year and their fan base is restless with their team and Gard. Imagine if they were a 10 seed and their coach got suspended during the year.

They are restless because of the direction their program is going (of course it's going down. Ryan was a hall of fame coach). The same thing can be said about Davis. The program was getting further and further away from their high spot before he took over. Our program isn't going in the wrong direction now. It went up, and now its staying in the same spot basically. It's a lot harder to want a coach gone who improved the program than it is for one who made it worse.

Yeah.
You just described Shaka Smart.
Avoid using anecdotal coach to make generalizations. Coach X was young and a great fundamental coach, he was hired and failed, therefore don't hire a young, outstanding, fundamental coach, stick with the average coach you have.

I guess I wouldn't classify the chances of making the tournament next year as "pretty likely."

Iowa is a 10 seed this year and it's college basketball where transfers flow like water. I wouldn't assume that the only losses will be Baer and possibly Cook. I really wouldn't assume that.

I would assume their will be transfers. It’s really frustrating that Fran doesn’t go after transfers however. Instead he gets inexperienced projects as opposed to a experienced impact guy. Think that has really hurt some of his opportunities at wins and his “win now” mentality.

I have never seen this interview before today. As a now retired school district administrator who served in public education for 40 years, I was impressed with Barta’s responses overall in this exchange. Some comments:

The commitment to principles in the decision making process is absolutely necessary and the most productive way to oversee an organization. The fallacy that a detailed and exhaustive list of “rules” will carry the day is just that...a fallacy. Rules are for managers. Adherence to valid principles defines leaders.

Barta’s track record in this high profile position indicates his success in established principles within which decisions are made. Gender bias over the course of his administration has not been an ongoing issue even in the very public world he lives in.

From experience, I can tell you that the top of the decision making chain is under constant scrutiny and the easy target for critics, many of whom lack the insight into the complex decisions made at this level. So, Barta has to suck it up, whh he did.

He referred often to the process within this controversy as having potential for improvements. Anyone who has been in a leadership position focuses in that area following a crisis.

He was abundantly clear that he consulted with the experts during this mess. That is what leaders do. They identify trustworthy sources and gather their knowledge, then decide.

I found his comments, as well as his poise, to be candid, open, and transparent.

The powers that be within the University clearly were surprised at the outcome. This should come as no great shock to anyone. Court rulings are often unpredictable and frankly, are influenced by current trends rather than settled legal data.

As to the future for Barta, when he is no longer a leader whose established principles are supported by his supervisors, he will likely be the first to recognize that fact, and will resign. Been there, done that.

Finally, for those that think I am a Barta advocate, you would be dead wrong. I am an advocate of highly principled leadership that shows effective results. You can take it from there at your leisure.

If you read this, thank you. If not, I don’t care.
This is funny shit right here. I needed the laugh. Thanks.

They are restless because of the direction their program is going (of course it's going down. Ryan was a hall of fame coach). The same thing can be said about Davis. The program was getting further and further away from their high spot before he took over. Our program isn't going in the wrong direction now. It went up, and now its staying in the same spot basically. It's a lot harder to want a coach gone who improved the program than it is for one who made it worse.
12-6 to 10-8 to 4-14 last season. What "same spot" are you talking about? How you describe the direction of the program over the last 3 years? Smh.

Latest posts