HN Festivus: New Site Direction/Moderation

There will also be 'Like' buttons on posts...which hopefully cuts down on the need for people to post +1, or 'I agree' and things like that..

as well as a 'report' button that will be a nice handy thing for moderation...and when people abuse it, the boomerang effect ;)

Like.

-I'm a sports fan but not a fanatic and I want to be able to express my opinion without getting attacked by Iowa fans. My daughter attends ISU but I didn't attend neither ISU or Iowa. I hope support goes both ways for opinions to be expressed in a respectful manner of course. As an example. I was watching the Iowa vs. Drake game last week and I made the comment to a friend that it was like watching Grandview vs. Simpson. I was so disgusted in watching it. So how is that?
- I'd also like to see some off topics other then sports to just blow off steam. Like local entertainment, or did you see this type section.
- OK Jon is almost at 10,000 posts lets have a party..

There r some forum compatibility issues with app right now that are making me uncomfortable. Forum access on app may be disabled soon until we migrate to new forum software. So that access won't be happening for a while for sure

There r some forum compatibility issues with app right now that are making me uncomfortable. Forum access on app may be disabled soon until we migrate to new forum software. So that access won't be happening for a while for sure
Well with so many people using smart phones these days i am not in favor of disabling the forum access. The app is a great feature and makes it easy and quick to read and participate on the forums. Since i am rarely home i dont have access to my computer very often. Cant you just add "off topic" back into just the hawkeyenation app? What is so uncomfortable?

Well with so many people using smart phones these days i am not in favor of disabling the forum access. The app is a great feature and makes it easy and quick to read and participate on the forums. Since i am rarely home i dont have access to my computer very often. Cant you just add "off topic" back into just the hawkeyenation app? What is so uncomfortable?

I access HN on my phone but via safari browser. I have the app but there's a few issues with it so for now I prefer this. You can still access OT easily this way.

Last edited:
I am looking into some changes on the message boards to try and satisfy as many users as I can, so the message boards can be a place where people can get out of them what they want to get out of them.

For the most part over any given 30 day span during the Iowa sports seasons, there are more than 100,000 people who visit this site. That's roughly the population of Davenport.

Now, there's no way the entire city of Davenport is going to agree on everything, just like there is no way all of the people of a town the size of Winterset will agree on everything.

I think there are things we can do so that you can get the most out of the boards, or what you want to get out of them.

Some people just want to stick to Iowa sports topics. That's why I moved the Off Topic board to opt in status, so those posts do not show up on the main forum landing page. Those who like the OT posts (which I do, for the most part) can still view them on your landing page by opting in. Here is how you do that.

One you opt in, your HN message board browsing experience will be as it always has been.

I will also more closely monitor the posts that are made in the ON TOPIC forums, such as the football, basketball, recruiting forums, etc. I would like for posts and conversations in these forums to remain on topic as much as possible. I realize 100% compliance is next to impossible, and I do not want to spend my day pruning posts. Just please keep this request in mind.

Also, please take care to start a topic in the appropriate forum. Don't start a basketball post in the football forum. Don't start an off topic post in the football forum.

I am also looking at creating sub forums whose posts will never show up in the forum landing page. A place where those who like to really hash it out with fellow posters can go. Our posting rules (which you can read here) will still apply, such as no profanity or lewd images or discussions), but if you want to go brass knuckles on a topic, have at it. The only way to gain access to a forum like this will be to opt in, so that no one can complain about the forum or what is said in it. NOTE: This does not mean it would be a place to post harmful rumors. It will not be a free for all in that regard. If you want something like that, this is not going to be the site for you.

The reality is that 95% of the people who visit this site each month never post on the boards. Some just don't enjoy that or don't spend the time to do it. Some see how new posters are treated by other longer time posters, as if their low post count means they are not worthy of being paid any attention or their opinions can be dismissed.

That's garbage, and that sort of treatment is going to stop on this site.

That sort of clique behavior turns people off and keeps other people from wanting to get involved and express their opinions. We're done with that on this website. If you want your clique stuff, the subforum will be for you. Otherwise, keep that sort of stuff out of the main forums, or please take it to another website.

Now, if you have any ideas, suggestions, criticisms, farewell blasts or what have you, let's take care of that in this thread. Let's consider this our Festivus post...the airing of grievances if you want, or ideas to help create a better and more vibrant community.

Love the site, just not the viruses and getting booted off on occasion...and since you're "The Man", it's refreshing to see you run it as you see fit!

There is a feature in some forum software where your first post has to be approved. Before you are allowed to start a topic you have to have a certain number of posts. The CBS forum works this way. This might be something to consider in your planning.

I'm reviewing Wordpress software for a site I manage. You might want to consider reviewing it. It has a number of plug-ins, widgets, and themes that support forums, blogs, news feeds, content management. It uses the same technology as the software you are looking at.

There is a feature in some forum software where your first post has to be approved. Before you are allowed to start a topic you have to have a certain number of posts. The CBS forum works this way. This might be something to consider in your planning.

I'm reviewing Wordpress software for a site I manage. You might want to consider reviewing it. It has a number of plug-ins, widgets, and themes that support forums, blogs, news feeds, content management. It uses the same technology as the software you are looking at.

The message board software we have allows me to have closed registration where new posters apply and are manually approved..I have had it this way for some time.

However, there is a loophole has it relates to how it works with the app...and since we are going to change message board software soon, I am not going to commit financial resources to fixing something I am going to change in the first Q of 2011.

Our story pages are on the wordpress platform

In this thread, fire away.

And in general, I never have a problem with people respectfully disagreeing.

At first I hated the move you made to this new board, and I will probably hate the next move you make but it will grow on me like this one has. I am an outsider some people hate me some dont mind me. I don't like iowa but I dont feel I come here and troll, do I give some guys a hard time yes, but I am also willing to take it back and don't mind busting ISU in the chops when its deserved. I guess I dont have many beefs with this site, other than the clique ways it was before you got pissy and laid the hammer down. I guess I have a question Jon? Why don't you have any mods?

In this thread, fire away. And in general, I never have a problem with people respectfully disagreeing.
At first I hated the move you made to this new board, and I will probably hate the next move you make but it will grow on me like this one has. I am an outsider some people hate me some dont mind me. I don't like iowa but I dont feel I come here and troll, do I give some guys a hard time yes, but I am also willing to take it back and don't mind busting ISU in the chops when its deserved. I guess I dont have many beefs with this site, other than the clique ways it was before you got pissy and laid the hammer down. I guess I have a question Jon? Why don't you have any mods?

You know you loved your ISU clique...

Ok. You get annoyed with a lot of things posters do but it also works both ways. Being reminded every five minutes that you're the "boss" around here gets annoying.

And reading constant threats to ban people in the middle of a thread. I understand you're giving them a warning but can't it be done via pm or is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?

I'm not stirring the pot either. I don't post enough to get lectured by the teacher, just really do get annoyed when I see it.

Ok. You get annoyed with a lot of things posters do but it also works both ways. Being reminded every five minutes that you're the "boss" around here gets annoying. And reading constant threats to ban people in the middle of a thread. I understand you're giving them a warning but can't it be done via pm or is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?I'm not stirring the pot either. I don't post enough to get lectured by the teacher, just really do get annoyed when I see it.
I think you just said what a lot of people are thinking. Ostrich was going on for months then all of a sudden...SNAP!! BOOM BOOM. Maybe its a mid life crisis. Then you get all of these *** kissing posters that worship Jon and kiss his butt. That gets old. Some of them even want to hold his hand and do his laundry. Jon is just a regular guy that owns a website. Big deal. He has the power to cut someone off from posting on a website. thats it. He is nobodys boss here.

And reading constant threats to ban people in the middle of a thread. I understand you're giving them a warning but can't it be done via pm or is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?

Maybe it is a way to inform the masses as opposed to sending out a 1000 PMs.

Latest posts