HN Festivus: New Site Direction/Moderation

Jon,

So I get why you ban now. Can you explain how long the bans are for. I'm guessing it depends on the situation, but was just wondering if you could elaborate on that some.

Thanks
EMU

Jon,

So I get why you ban now. Can you explain how long the bans are for. I'm guessing it depends on the situation, but was just wondering if you could elaborate on that some.

Thanks
EMU

Depends on what caused it, if the person has a history of pushing it, etc. I don't have a 'go for two' chart to correlate length of bans. Some last night got a 24 hour ban just because they were being smart alecks. Others that did that in the same vein have had longer bans, because it ain't their first rodeo.

And you know this how, exactly? Are you privy to the conversations I have had with Brian?

No, I'm not privy to your personal correspondence. I assumed this due to the fact he was banned following some blowout with another poster which was a week or more after he posted personal info. :confused: but what do I know.

No, I'm not privy to your personal correspondence. I assumed this due to the fact he was banned following some blowout with another poster which was a week or more after he posted personal info. :confused: but what do I know.

Being that he developed the first version of this site, I wanted to give him a less public out than an outright banning. He then made another post after I told him to no longer post under BrianKaldenberg, so he was banned.

These forums were definately in need of some cleanup (talking about the posters, not about the actual site).

Now if we can just get people to not post a new "complian about Kirk Ferentz" thread every day we'd be in good shape.

Jon, in the ostrich chad thread your OP sounded like an opinion that you didn't like seeing it, but now it sounds like it is against the rules. The thing is it's the exact same thing as saying THIS or +1. Someone said they don't like weeding through those posts but if you stop those posts people will just go back to THIS and +1 so it really doesn't help anything. One of the cool things about message boards is the original lingo that each one has. Banning those words would be the same as banning "did you see him on a moped" or "can Coker red shirt".

Another thing that I know you wont change and you probably shouldn't but just food for thought. When someone writes "I don't give a ****" everyone over the age of 10 knows what the **** means and they say it in their head as they read it.
Whether you can actually see the real word or not really doesn't make any difference at all. If you don't want profanity on here you should just say not to use anything that will have to be replaced by *'s. Seeing **** is just like seeing a blurred out middle finger in a movie. It's not the middle finger that is bad to see it's the meaning of it and blurring it out doesn't do anything to hide the meaning

I didn't realize that that kaldenberg wasn't banned until this morning. Guess I don't know much as I thought he had been banned some time ago.

Jon, in the ostrich chad thread your OP sounded like an opinion that you didn't like seeing it, but now it sounds like it is against the rules. The thing is it's the exact same thing as saying THIS or +1. Someone said they don't like weeding through those posts but if you stop those posts people will just go back to THIS and +1 so it really doesn't help anything. One of the cool things about message boards is the original lingo that each one has. Banning those words would be the same as banning "did you see him on a moped" or "can Coker red shirt".

+1 doesn't make anyone feel alienated or put down, unless it's quoting someone using a put down or an alienating expression. The inside joke meme stuff got out of hand.

Another thing that I know you wont change and you probably shouldn't but just food for thought. When someone writes "I don't give a ****" everyone over the age of 10 knows what the **** means and they say it in their head as they read it.
Whether you can actually see the real word or not really doesn't make any difference at all. If you don't want profanity on here you should just say not to use anything that will have to be replaced by *'s. Seeing **** is just like seeing a blurred out middle finger in a movie. It's not the middle finger that is bad to see it's the meaning of it and blurring it out doesn't do anything to hide the meaning

True...but for now is the best option.

I didn't realize that that kaldenberg wasn't banned until this morning. Guess I don't know much as I thought he had been banned some time ago.

He was banned before this morning. Is there a post to the contrary that I am not aware of?

These forums were definately in need of some cleanup (talking about the posters, not about the actual site).

Now if we can just get people to not post a new "complian about Kirk Ferentz" thread every day we'd be in good shape.

Everyone should be entitled to write their own opinions as long as it's within the rules. If those threads bother you so much maybe you should look in the mirror and try to figure out why some guy you have never met before can get under your skin. I have my own opinions but I like to come on here and read other people's opinions too. That's the whole point of a message board

Is it possible to have new posts on the landing screen automatically show as opposed to having to refresh the page to see if new posts have been made? Or in a thread for that matter?

Is it possible to have new posts on the landing screen automatically show as opposed to having to refresh the page to see if new posts have been made? Or in a thread for that matter?

I don't think this software has that sort of dynamic function..perhaps the xenforo stuff will...but I doubt it.

Latest posts