HN Festivus: New Site Direction/Moderation

I will volunteer my services as a mod in the p/c forum. I'm an independent and completely objective. I think my track record reflects that.

Eddy you just failed the test. Anyone that wants the job is, by definition, unsuitable for it.

These are guys who have 500+ posts on here and have instigated things over and over again.

And there are some people on here who treat anything Clones fans say as some sort of personal affront, and respond with over the top garbage as well. The thing about instigation is that it takes another person to respond.

Not to mention, the ignore feature works quite well.

As for post counts and titles (which are usually decided based on the number of post counts), I can do without both, as they are generally just used to start trouble.

As for moderation, I was a regular on another Hawkeye forum before this one. I walked away and never looked back because the person who owned it never moderated it. Moderation is needed, but I don't really agree with simply coming in and putting a stranglehold on things as some sort of way for making up for a lack of keeping control of the forum. Yes, it comes across as over the top. And yes, while it is Jon's forum, it's also a way to chase people away and leave others wondering if they're going to suddenly be in Jon's line of sight next. ;)

And there are some people on here who treat anything Clones fans say as some sort of personal affront, and respond with over the top garbage as well. The thing about instigation is that it takes another person to respond.

Not to mention, the ignore feature works quite well.

As for post counts and titles (which are usually decided based on the number of post counts), I can do without both, as they are generally just used to start trouble.

As for moderation, I was a regular on another Hawkeye forum before this one. I walked away and never looked back because the person who owned it never moderated it. Moderation is needed, but I don't really agree with simply coming in and putting a stranglehold on things as some sort of way for making up for a lack of keeping control of the forum. Yes, it comes across as over the top. And yes, while it is Jon's forum, it's also a way to chase people away and leave others wondering if they're going to suddenly be in Jon's line of sight next. ;)

What exactly has been in your 'stranglehold' category?

What exactly has been in your 'stranglehold' category?

The ostrich stuff immediately comes to mind. It was going on for awhile and you didn't do anything about it. Then you expected it to go away with a snap of your fingers, and that didn't happen (hell, it still didn't happen in this thread).

It's very much like a parent who doesn't discipline their child the first dozen times the kid does something wrong. But then they expect the child to immediately obey the 13th time, only to be shocked when it doesn't happen.

You've said you don't have time to read everything, and that's understandable. But good forum software allows the designation of moderators, and for good reason. :)

People attack what they fear.

People fear change.

Change is the only constant in the universe.

To be at odds with reality is a form of insanity.

The ostrich stuff immediately comes to mind. It was going on for awhile and you didn't do anything about it. Then you expected it to go away with a snap of your fingers, and that didn't happen (hell, it still didn't happen in this thread).

It's very much like a parent who doesn't discipline their child the first dozen times the kid does something wrong. But then they expect the child to immediately obey the 13th time, only to be shocked when it doesn't happen.

You've said you don't have time to read everything, and that's understandable. But good forum software allows the designation of moderators, and for good reason. :)

I believe I've posted that I let things go unchecked for too long. The correction process will then seem abrupt, and I am willing to deal with the fallout for a bit.

However, since we're dealing with grown men for the most part, the process should be much quicker than trying to redirect the behavior of 9 year olds.

Latest posts