HN Festivus: New Site Direction/Moderation

Ok. You get annoyed with a lot of things posters do but it also works both ways. Being reminded every five minutes that you're the "boss" around here gets annoying.

And reading constant threats to ban people in the middle of a thread. I understand you're giving them a warning but can't it be done via pm or is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?

I'm not stirring the pot either. I don't post enough to get lectured by the teacher, just really do get annoyed when I see it.

What's so annoying about him "reminding people he is the boss?" Many times people want to argue his stance or question his actions. If I had to defend my ways of running my own website to punks that want to push my buttons 3-4 times after I explained myself, then I would say find a new site or make your own too. **** has to get old.

I've gone days without realizing I had a PM. Not everyone knows or looks at their Cpanel all the time. Plus it shows his stance (again) that he's not joking around and or putting up with it anymore...

I'm not kissing anyone's ***. I don't understand as mostly adults why we all can't act as such.

And around HERE, THIS website, Jon IS the boss.

Saying things like "(insert name) is walking on thin ice"? The masses don't need informed.

it really bothers you that much? its his site you know...maybe you haven't been on other sites, but he really does let a lot go. some folks even take personal shots at him and he lets it slide. give him credit for that, cause i wouldn't. if you think he's heavy handed, take a look around.

What's so annoying about him "reminding people he is the boss?" Many times people want to argue his stance or question his actions. If I had to defend my ways of running my own website to punks that want to push my buttons 3-4 times after I explained myself, then I would say find a new site or make your own too. **** has to get old.

I've gone days without realizing I had a PM. Not everyone knows or looks at their Cpanel all the time. Plus it shows his stance (again) that he's not joking around and or putting up with it anymore...

I'm not kissing anyone's ***. I don't understand as mostly adults why we all can't act as such.

And around HERE, THIS website, Jon IS the boss.

ahh, you two-up'd me. beat me to it and said it better...

Why don't you have any mods?

I've wondered this one as well. He's said himself that he can't see all the posts all the time...maybe it's a power/control issue? I know that iahawk20 is a moderator (at least I think he still is)...are there any others?

i think this thread needs this picture to complete the Festivus theme

franchoke_medium.jpg

I've wondered this one as well. He's said himself that he can't see all the posts all the time...maybe it's a power/control issue? I know that iahawk20 is a moderator (at least I think he still is)...are there any others?

pin2win will probably become a moderator in the wrestling forum as he frequents it probably more that Jon and has been around since HN's current inception.

Other than that I think just iahawk20 and jon. Maybe he will get more moderators in the future but I think banning someone is a decision that he does not want to be made in a knee-jerk reactionary way. Pretty hard to get banned from this site. I think Jon wants to keep it that way and does not want a mod that throws down the hammer willy-nilly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3AOmZ2fps[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm not getting in a ******* match so this will be my last post.

That said, there is a huge difference between "giving your opinion" and sneaking in a chance to take a personal shot at Jon.

(is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?)
(Some of them even want to hold his hand and do his laundry. Jon is just a regular guy that owns a website. Big deal. He has the power to cut someone off from posting on a website. thats it. He is nobodys boss here)

Both of your points could have been made without adding these things to the end, but where's the fun in that right? I get it.

It never ends...

I'm not getting in a ******* match so this will be my last post. That said, there is a huge difference between "giving your opinion" and sneaking in a chance to take a personal shot at Jon. (is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?) (Some of them even want to hold his hand and do his laundry. Jon is just a regular guy that owns a website. Big deal. He has the power to cut someone off from posting on a website. thats it. He is nobodys boss here)Both of your points could have been made without adding these things to the end, but where's the fun in that right? I get it. It never ends...
No ******* match here. You also didnt have to repeat what we wrote but you chose to call us out. Congrats! you have expressed your opinion. By the way some posters in another thread did ask to hold Jons hand. They may have been joking but they were still sucking up. Have a great Holiday Patmyne!

Ok. You get annoyed with a lot of things posters do but it also works both ways. Being reminded every five minutes that you're the "boss" around here gets annoying.

And reading constant threats to ban people in the middle of a thread. I understand you're giving them a warning but can't it be done via pm or is it another opportunity to flex your e-muscles?

I'm not stirring the pot either. I don't post enough to get lectured by the teacher, just really do get annoyed when I see it.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, and you are right the PM aspect would work better...there are times when I think an 'example' of what isn't wanted is good to have around, but I will take these comments into consideration going forward. I'd rather to never have to moderate forums at all, and just be a part of them.

the more I read about the new message board software platform, the more I like it and see so many tools that will allow for better moderation, and communication along the lines of what you are talking about.

I think you just said what a lot of people are thinking. Ostrich was going on for months then all of a sudden...SNAP!! BOOM BOOM. Maybe its a mid life crisis. Then you get all of these *** kissing posters that worship Jon and kiss his butt. That gets old. Some of them even want to hold his hand and do his laundry. Jon is just a regular guy that owns a website. Big deal. He has the power to cut someone off from posting on a website. thats it. He is nobodys boss here.

I am not a fan of the '*** kissing' either.

I just would rather the sports forums be about Iowa sports.

I don't think it's a 'power' issue. I don't really care about that.

I have been thinking of more mods...the problem is when threads are deleted, I want to know why, because I am the one that gets the feedback and needs to respond to it. Or perhaps I don't.

It's difficult to find several people who think the same way you do or look at things from your paradigm.

However, there needs to be mods

I appreciate the comments on all sides here, but really don't want this to turn into poster on poster crime ;)

I want to hear any and all opinions people have with regards to how this site is moderated, ran, etc. In getting this feedback, my hope is to improve the experience for everyone.

Contrary to what some believe, I don't mind criticisms like this. I might not agree song and verse but there is usually something in every genuine critique that can make things better. So I welcome that.

These posts are different than some of the smart aleck stuff people toss out just to see how far they can push things. I don't have time for that

I nominate Homer for mod if you are taking nominations. That is if he is still around. Seems like a guy you could employ when that recruiting stuff comes around.

There will also be 'Like' buttons on posts...which hopefully cuts down on the need for people to post 1, or 'I agree' and things like that..as well as a 'report' button that will be a nice handy thing for moderation...and when people abuse it, the boomerang effect ;)

those were going to be two of my suggestions, if they were not brought up after reading through all the posts. A like/dislike button, thumbs up/down would be preferred to only a like button. (and it will cut down on the extra posts as you mentioned.)

also liked the idea of saving or "pinning" certain threads independently. I have yet to go back to your links and see what you have got going. So maybe that was addressed.

I still want humor and sarcasm and various viewpoints, pro and con, available. I like x's and o's and stats, just not always. (And rumors, it sometimes seems, are sometimes appropriate to report and comment on, obviously not to the detriment of any individuals. Maybe a seperate catagory.) I certainly feel that while all are posters and readers to one general cause, U of I success, the means to that end is as varying as all our individual personalities. And if it matters, I too, tire of all the "over the top" brown nosing, better than thou, and tattle-telling posts. However, with that said, appreciate your site and all your efforts to always enhance and improve it.

Finally, love the android app, that is where majority of my browsing is done. Anything ever done there to enhance is always appreciated.

The like button will be there...I will also have ways to have a 'notification' at the top of a specific message board...so say I write two or three football items, I can have it be at the top of the page with links, as opposed to pinned topics...and once you see these notifications, you can click on an 'X' and they won't show up again.

There are a lot of toys with this new software...really looking forward to it. I might 'move up' the launch date to Feb if I can get the development side take care of...and this would also mean fewer ads on the site, sooner. I talked about that in this thread

I will volunteer my services as a mod in the p/c forum. I'm an independent and completely objective. I think my track record reflects that.

I will volunteer my services as a mod in the p/c forum. I'm an independent and completely objective. I think my track record reflects that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsvZetktzI]Gypsies In The Palace - Jimmy Buffett - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts