HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

Also, and I'd like to be on record for this, I predict an epic meltdown if we do lose to NIU. There will be gnashing of teeth and trolls galore. People will be calling for KF's head and predicting a winless season. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

You are right on most of your posts, but not with this one. The hawk fan base thinks kf is great. Might be a few on here who meltdown, but you won't see any outrage at all with the general fan base.

Even if this season sucks, kf will not be in anything that resembles hot water with the U of I or the fan base. Now I think it's strange the level of loyalty that is showed him, but like maybe two other folks think the way I do about kf. Everybody else thinks the world of him.

FreedComanche

8-4, wins over NIU, Missouri State, ISU, W. Michigan and 4-4 in the BT. Losses to Michigan and OSU. The rest are toss ups, but 4 wins in there someplace. Anyone who predicts less than 8-4 is clearly not a Hawk fan.

That's pretty funny, considering that Iowa has gone 8-4 or better only TWO TIMES since 2004.

Oh my this isn't even close to the pressure that he had with his 2-19 start and 13 straight losses. That was when he had just arrived at Iowa, had moved his family across the country and was hardly established in his life...and things could have gone the other way at that time.

I remember during that time a guy called in to a radio show where Marty Terell was the host. The caller said, "what is going on with Iowa football?". Marty said, "hey, Iowa just made the wrong hire."

I'm sure Marty has been called out on this since.

FreedComanche

You are right on most of your posts, but not with this one. The hawk fan base thinks kf is great. Might be a few on here who meltdown, but you won't see any outrage at all with the general fan base.

Even if this season sucks, kf will not be in anything that resembles hot water with the U of I or the fan base. Now I think it's strange the level of loyalty that is showed him, but like maybe two other folks think the way I do about kf. Everybody else thinks the world of him.

FreedComanche

you must be new here. there is always a meltdown after an iowa loss, doesn't even really matter who iowa loses to.

and again, you're being overly dramatic. not everyone thinks the world of him. not everyone thinks he has no faults. in fact, i'd wager a bet with you that EVERYONE thinks he has faults to him. your constant need to attack him is what causes people to defend him. he's not as awful as you want everyone to believe he is.

go ahead now, call me a KF apologist. i know responding to you just fuels your fire and makes you want to continue your crusade, but no one is joining you. the same people have voiced their opinions and continue to do so, but you haven't swayed anyone to join you. that said, this season could change a lot of people. it has nothing to do with your constant ranting, it has everything to do with the product on the field.

I'm going to be optimistic. Plus I'm better at predicting basketball than football games. So here it goes.

08/31/13 vs. Northern Illinois WIN 1-0
09/07/13 vs. Missouri State Win 2-0
09/14/13 at Iowa State Win 3-0
09/21/13 vs. Western Michigan Win 4-0
09/28/13 at Minnesota Win 5-0
10/05/13 vs. Michigan State Win 6-0
10/19/13 at Ohio State Loss 6-1
10/26/13 vs. Northwestern Loss 6-2
11/02/13 vs. Wisconsin Loss 6-3
11/09/13 at Purdue Win 7-3
11/23/13 vs. Michigan Loss 7-4
11/29/13 at Nebraska Loss 7-5

I think Wisconsin and Purdue will have down years so I think iowa will win both of those games. I also think the big ten as a whole won't be very good except for Ohio State.

you must be new here. there is always a meltdown after an iowa loss, doesn't even really matter who iowa loses to.

and again, you're being overly dramatic. not everyone thinks the world of him. not everyone thinks he has no faults. in fact, i'd wager a bet with you that EVERYONE thinks he has faults to him. your constant need to attack him is what causes people to defend him. he's not as awful as you want everyone to believe he is.

go ahead now, call me a KF apologist. i know responding to you just fuels your fire and makes you want to continue your crusade, but no one is joining you. the same people have voiced their opinions and continue to do so, but you haven't swayed anyone to join you. that said, this season could change a lot of people. it has nothing to do with your constant ranting, it has everything to do with the product on the field.

Yes, there may be a meltdown here. But I said the general fan base will not be in meltdown mode.

And, yes, I made my comments assuming everyone knew that everyone has faults. I certainly believe that the fan base believes that kf has faults. My point was that he will not be in hot water with most even if this season sucks.

FreedComanche

Assuming you are correct on both ends of his career as HC at Iowa, maybe this is the problem. Pressure is a good thing - he certainly responded in the early years. If he really does not feel pressure now, I don't think that bodes well for Iowa. However, maybe the pressure now is to end his career strong to secure his legacy - if he has more 4-8-type seasons, I think his legacy will be scarred, or mixed at best. Certainly he wouldn't want to walk away on those terms - or if seasons like last year continue, he may not get the chance to walk away. He comes off as humble, but I believe his ego is big enough that he feels the pressure to want to be known as one of the great Iowa coaches.

Kirk brought his oldest son in to coach OL, from the best mind in the sport...no way is he mailing it in

8-4, wins over NIU, Missouri State, ISU, W. Michigan and 4-4 in the BT. Losses to Michigan and OSU. The rest are toss ups, but 4 wins in there someplace. Anyone who predicts less than 8-4 is clearly not a Hawk fan.

Wrong.

I actually like KF a lot, I like what he has done, I love Hawkeye football. When the Hawks win, it makes my week great. When they lose, pass the Prozac. Saying people aren't fans is just ludicrous. 8 wins this season is wishful thinking, given all the unanswered questions. I wish we would get 8 wins. I also make a wish when I blow out a birthday candle.

Wishin' ain't doin'.

Wrong.

I actually like KF a lot, I like what he has done, I love Hawkeye football. When the Hawks win, it makes my week great. When they lose, pass the Prozac. Saying people aren't fans is just ludicrous. 8 wins this season is wishful thinking, given all the unanswered questions. I wish we would get 8 wins. I also make a wish when I blow out a birthday candle.

Wishin' ain't doin'.

Frankly, if we go 8-4, GD should get Assistant Coach of the Year. Or Reese Morgan.

It goes without saying that we will have found one heck of a QB and several guys along the DL will be on BTN end-of-season programs as candidates for "breakout"/Most Improved/etc.

6-6

Wins
vs. Northern Illinois
vs. Missouri State
vs. Western Michigan
at Minnesota

I have us winning 2-5 from these but I'm not sure which:
at ISU
vs. MSU
vs. Northwestern
vs. Wisconsin
at Purdue

Kirk brought his oldest son in to coach OL, from the best mind in the sport...no way is he mailing it in

Assuming your response is serious and not sarcastic, I don't see the correlation to him bringing in his son to coach the OL to him not mailing it in. When Kaz quit/got fired, and Morgan went to the DL, they needed an OL coach; hiring his son was probably a pretty easy thing for him to do.

Assuming your response is serious and not sarcastic, I don't see the correlation to him bringing in his son to coach the OL to him not mailing it in. When Kaz quit/got fired, and Morgan went to the DL, they needed an OL coach; hiring his son was probably a pretty easy thing for him to do.

I think the point may have been, that he doesn't think Kirk would have ruined his son's future in the business by bringing him in, and then just mailing it in. I doubt he plucked Brian out of a GREAT situation so that he could sit back and count his money and ruin his son's career.

I think the point may have been, that he doesn't think Kirk would have ruined his son's future in the business by bringing him in, and then just mailing it in. I doubt he plucked Brian out of a GREAT situation so that he could sit back and count his money and ruin his son's career.

Ruin Brian's career? Whether he's mailing it in or not (I don't think he is), that's quite a leap. Assuming he's not mailing it in, but Iowa still continues to struggle and Kirk eventually gets fired. Has he ruined Brian's career? Don't forget that Brian didn't have to take the job, I'm sure he thought of it as a way to enhance his career, not detract from it, regardless of the success of the team. Also, I always presumed he brought in Brian because he felt he was the best OL coach for the team that he was the head coach of, nothing more or less.

I feel like I know less about this team than I did about last year's team and I missed the mark last year by four games.

9-3: 4%
8-4: 10%
7-5: 15%
6-6: 30%
5-7: 25%
4-8: 10%
3-7: 4%
2-10: 1%

I think these are the two best points in the prediction. I couldn't agree more with the percentage breakdown for W/L Record.

My prediction;
N Illinois: Win
Missouri State: Win
@Iowa State: Win
W Michigan: Win
@Minnesota: Loss
Mich St: Loss
@Ohio St: Loss
NW: Loss
Wisconsin: Loss
@Purdue: Win
Michigan: Loss
@Nebraska: Loss

Final Record 5-7. I can see this team going 7-5 (Wins against Minn & NW) but I would be looking at the upcoming season through rose colored glasses to hope for anything beyond that.

FreedComanche

Here is what will actually happen:

4 or 5 wins: KF will lose even more support amongst the fan base, the unrest will begin to get serious, and he will actually be on the hot seat for the 2014 season

6 or 7 wins: Things will stay status quo. Those that defend him will continue to do so, and those that don't like him will continue to bash away. Fan base overall will be excited as many players will return and the 2014 season will be looking promising.

8 or more wins: Fan base will be very, very excited. There will be a lot of expectations for the 2014 season, and all will be good. Well except for the real haters, they will still say KF sucks, and give all the credit to Greg, Brian, or anyone other than KF.

Here is what will actually happen:

4 or 5 wins: KF will lose even more support amongst the fan base, the unrest will begin to get serious, and he will actually be on the hot seat for the 2014 season

6 or 7 wins: Things will stay status quo. Those that defend him will continue to do so, and those that don't like him will continue to bash away. Fan base overall will be excited as many players will return and the 2014 season will be looking promising.

8 or more wins: Fan base will be very, very excited. There will be a lot of expectations for the 2014 season, and all will be good. Well except for the real haters, they will still say KF sucks, and give all the credit to Greg, Brian, or anyone other than KF.

Good response.

You may be right with your first analysis here. However, I don't think it matters a great deal to the general fan base how bad he does this year. Whenever any perceived negativity comes to the surface about kf, most fans will counter with, "look what we got coming back next year. or, kf is a good coach and he will have a heck of a team next year. We'd be dumb to even think about getting rid of him."

And count me as one that's excited about 14 already. Should be a talented team with an easier schedule. 2014 saves kf from any real unrest from the fan base.

FreedComanche

I think last year was a one off kind of thing. It was a perfect storm of things going on. The dline seems to be on the right path again, there is still a lot of young talent on the two deeps and some of them got playing time last year.

Good response.

You may be right with your first analysis here. However, I don't think it matters a great deal to the general fan base how bad he does this year. Whenever any perceived negativity comes to the surface about kf, most fans will counter with, "look what we got coming back next year. or, kf is a good coach and he will have a heck of a team next year. We'd be dumb to even think about getting rid of him."

And count me as one that's excited about 14 already. Should be a talented team with an easier schedule. 2014 saves kf from any real unrest from the fan base.

FreedComanche

I disagree with you perception of many on here that defend KF. I will always think he did an excellent job at Iowa for about a decade. If we can't manage 4 or 5 wins this year, then I will be saying it is time for a change. I realize that a good coach can be successful for a period of time, and then can "lose it" or slip and it be time for a new direction. I think most just disagree on if that has happened yet or not.

Here's mine.

No.Ill - win (advantage to this game is the Iowa ground game and its a be bold wear gold day in Kinnick)

Mo.St - win (good confidence builder for the D, and a good opportunity to work on the passing game.

Cyclowns - win (Our team is pizzed and takes it out in Cy. The cyclONE nation cries and boycotts Hawkeyenation-thank gawd!)

W.Mich - win (nothing too impressive 14 points. Final tuneup before the B1G season)

Minny - win (The Hebrew Hammer does work on the ground again)

MSU - win (Iowa QB to be named has a good game, solidifying starting spot. Weisman goes over 100 yds again. Additionally, another Weisman for Heisman thread is started)

OSU - loss (hopefully we keep this competitive. Is 20 pts competitive?)

Northwestern - win (much like 2011, it's a shoot out and the D comes up with just enough stops to preserve a win. Veneric Mark pulls a hammy trying to outrun the ghost of Hyde)

Wiscy - win (get them whilst they are transitioning with a new coach. Melvin Gordon second guesses his decision after seeing the Iowa line dominate)

Purdue - win (we don't let the game vs our most hated 'o rivals come down to a game winning fieldgoal-solid stomping)

Michigan - loss (the team will be full if confidences now, but the Wolverine D will be too much. On the bright side, Tanner Miller isn't faked out by Gardner so badly-oooooohhhh!)

Nebby - win (a trip to the CCG is on the line, and the Hawks pull through. Unfortunately, hundreds of Iowans are cited for unruly tailgates in Lincoln, adding fuel to the budding rivalry)

10-2. Those are my hopeful predictions. Good luck me.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts