HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

First off, 8-5 before bowl is unattainable. Second off, I picked Iowa to be 6-6. Then I went and added my percentages on what I thought the most likely record is..which you will also see 6-6 with the highest percentage. Thanks for reading.

Unless I am missing something, there is no rule or reason why a 8-4 team cannot find itself in the B1G championship game, and I think there is an excellent chance that a 9-3 or 8-4 team will represent the Legends division. I see no dominant team in Legends, and I expect Iowa to claw for every inch all season long, which just might tilt the close games in our favor.

In your OP, I did see the game by game blurbs of W and L but noticed no final commitment to 6-6. But now we have it. :)

Northern Illinois has a new coach and lost a lot of their best defensive players. They lost at Soldier Field to the worst Hawkeye team since '99 last year with their best team ever. The Hawks will be better on both sides of the ball this year, but yet some of you seem to think NIU will win in Kinnick this year? WTF???!!!?? Sorry, but Lynch ain't THAT good.

You are right on most of your posts, but not with this one. The hawk fan base thinks kf is great. Might be a few on here who meltdown, but you won't see any outrage at all with the general fan base.

Even if this season sucks, kf will not be in anything that resembles hot water with the U of I or the fan base. Now I think it's strange the level of loyalty that is showed him, but like maybe two other folks think the way I do about kf. Everybody else thinks the world of him.

FreedComanche

i meant on this board. i agree that the fanbase at large is still very content with KF. not to the extent you say, but definitely content.

I disagree with you perception of many on here that defend KF. I will always think he did an excellent job at Iowa for about a decade. If we can't manage 4 or 5 wins this year, then I will be saying it is time for a change. I realize that a good coach can be successful for a period of time, and then can "lose it" or slip and it be time for a new direction. I think most just disagree on if that has happened yet or not.

You mean you'll call for him to be fired if they win only 3 games this year?

And I do agree with you that coaches can be great for a period of time, then things don't go their way. I believe that to be true in any profession. Heck, I've lived that.

FreedComanche

You mean you'll call for him to be fired if they win only 3 games this year?

And I do agree with you that coaches can be great for a period of time, then things don't go their way. I believe that to be true in any profession. Heck, I've lived that.

FreedComanche

if we only win 3 games this year after only winning 4 last year, I doubt that KF can right the ship. I would be in favor of a change at that point.

For the life of me there is something I don't get from both you John and the majority of posters as I read this. I don't get you folks who have Purdue as a loss. If you remember that game last year, the reason we lost was pretty clear, their two dtackles probably had the best game ever played by two college dt's against Iowa. They owned the backfield. I remember seeing the one guy who was a 1st-2nd rounder whose name is escaping me in on our running back before the ball was to him. They dominated an injured offensive line of the hawks, dominated, absolutely obliterated. That won't happen this year for two reasons: 1. Their dtackles are gone, 2. Our Oline is back healthy. Purdue is not good, they had a matchup crush on us last year and exploited it, that's gone this year, we win that game easily.

Coincidentally, so i'm on the record. I got us going 8-4, 6-0 to start with wins against Purdue and Wisconsin in the back half. I think Nebraska, Ohio State, and Michigan are very highly likely losses, I think Northwestern definitely has the edge. I can see us losing to MSU as well but for now, 8-4. No way do we lose to Purdue. Other than directional Michigan school, I am most confident that we will beat Purdue.

Iowa has started 5-1 under Ferentz 5 times. 3 of those 5 times, they've had a great year. 2 of those 5 times, they've fizzled. With such a small sample size, and such a small gap between the two results, I'm not sure one can rightly discern a trend.

Why are people so condescending? In any case, we get it FreedomHawk. You feel the team will suck. You want Ferentz gone.

8-4 and we add a bowl victory to end the year at 9 - 4 the new, young, blood, on the coaching staff get these athletes playing mean, nasty inspired football. The taste of last years epic meltdown weighs heavy in the minds of the veteran leaders on this team and plays are made to win games instead of lose games. I don't think this team is as far off as many people would like to think.

8-4 and we add a bowl victory to end the year at 9 - 4 the new, young, blood, on the coaching staff get these athletes playing mean, nasty inspired football. The taste of last years epic meltdown weighs heavy in the minds of the veteran leaders on this team and plays are made to win games instead of lose games. I don't think this team is as far off as many people would like to think.

sorry, but a lot of us see it as "this team is farther off than many people would like to think." KF should get B10 coach of the year if we win 9 games, as that would be a small miracle.

Say whatever you want.....if you are saying the same thing I am saying(only with wins), then you should be a HUGE Kirk fan if they win 8 or 9......

No Im not going to think hes great for that. If Iowa would have won 6-7 games like they should have last yr than 8 or 9 wouldnt seem amazing. However if you think Iowa was only good enough to win 4 games last yr then a bowl game this year might seem okay and 8 or 9 seem amazing.

You say 3 is really bad and I agree. I think 10-11 would be really good. For me though its more about Iowa not beating themselves. Its about Kinnick not becoming one of the favorite places to play in the BoneG.

This is what I know after 14 years of watching KF coached teams:

1. The man knows how to develop players, pure and simple.
2. His teams typically perform better when they have little to no national pub early on.
3. No matter what type of season we are having, we typically lose to a team we had no business losing to and on the flipside, will typically beat a team we had no business beating.

Based on those three things and based on having a year under our belts with a slew of new coaches and old coaches in new positions, these are my predictions:

Northern Illinois - Win - While they still have Lynch who accounted for nearly 5,000 yds of total offense, they lost their head coach, best receiver and rb and a slew of defensive starters. Plus it's at Kinnick.
Missouri State - Win - Hopefully by a wide margin.
@ Iowa State - Win - Even though it's at Jack Trice, this might be one of Rhoads' worst teams....at least early on. We should dominate them in the trenches. Will be close as nearly all of them have been since 1998.
Western Michigan - Win - KF can't go 0-fer against this team, can he?
@Minnesota - Win - We finally exorcise the demons of TCF Bank Stadium!
Michigan State - Win - We should be better, they lose a lot. It's at Kinnick.
OSU - Loss - It's at Columbus...nothing more to say except that.
Northwestern - Loss - I don't like the matchup against Mark and Colter as much as I do the following week against Wisky.
Wisconsin - Win - Much more of a match-up, style-wise. And it's at Kinnick. And we owe them for 2010.
@Purdue - Win - Just a gut feeling....nothing more than that.
Michigan - Loss - This will be closer than people think. At Kinnick, late November, and still something to play for as my prediction is 8-2 coming into this game
@ Nebraska - Win - This is the one we get this year that we have no business getting.

Final prediction - 9-3

Care to elaborate on #3?

Latest posts