HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

There are too many unanswered questions for this season. Until I see some answers, I'm on the pessimistic side.

N Illinois: Win
Missouri State: Win
@Iowa State: Loss
W Michigan: Win
@Minnesota: Loss
Mich St: Loss
@Ohio St: Loss
NW: Loss
Wisconsin: Loss
@Purdue: Loss
Michigan: Loss
@Nebraska: Loss

3-9. After this season is over, I hope everybody makes fun of how wrong I was.

I have a disturbing feeling we will lose either the Northern Illinois or Western Michigan game. They will be both be far too close and we will give up a late score in one of them and lose. I actually hope its against Northern Illinois as we can recover from that in the next 11 games.

But, if we start out 2-1 or 3-0 (my pick) and then lose to another Mac team right before the Big Ten season? I see a death spiral that sees us finishing at 3-9.

NIU - Loss. Not sold on on the Dline and secondary. Lynch will have a great day.
Missouri State - Win. No excuses for not winning this game
@ISU - Loss. Don't care how bad ISU is supposed to be, it's at ISU.
Western Michigan - Win. Barely
@Minny - Loss
Michigan St - Loss
@OSU - Loss. Not a chance on the road.
Northwestern - Loss.
Wisconsin - Loss. Even with all the changes.
@Purdue - Win. Hawks find a way to win this one.
Michigan - Loss. No chance
@Nebraska - Loss.

So yeah, 3-9. Hope I'm wrong. Hope the D-line comes together and reminds us of the dominating lines of years past. Hopefully a QB emerges that can run the "system" that is in place. Hopefully someone emerges as a standout WR. Too many question marks, especially on offense for me to think any different. Last year's offense was horrid with a veteran QB and 1 veteran WR that are both gone. Hard to think this year's offense can be better.

N. Illinois- loss
Mo. State- win
Iowa St- loss
W. Michigan- loss
Minny- win
Ohio St- loss
Mich St- loss
NW- loss
Wisky- loss
Purdue- win
Michigan- loss
Nebraska- loss

3-9. I hope I am dead wrong and that record is reversed.

5-7

Wins over Mizzu St, ISU, directional Mich, Minny, and "Our Most Hated Rival."

No chance at 8 wins, even when drunj and wearing Homer glasses.

Here is the prediction that I ran through on Thursday. Hopefully there are some loses that will get turned to W's!!

08/31/13 vs. Northern Illinois WIN 1-0
09/07/13 vs. Missouri State Win 2-0
09/14/13 at Iowa State Loss 2-1
09/21/13 vs. Western Michigan Win 3-1
09/28/13 at Minnesota * Loss 3-2
10/05/13 vs. Michigan State * Loss 3-3
10/19/13 at Ohio State * Loss 3-4
10/26/13 vs. Northwestern * Loss 3-5
11/02/13 vs. Wisconsin * Loss 3-6
11/09/13 at Purdue * Win 4-6
11/23/13 vs. Michigan * Loss 4-7
11/29/13 at Nebraska * Loss 4-8

Iowa goes 2-10

Wins = Mo St & some upset in conference

4-8 again this year. Iowa could very well be a better team than it was a year ago, but this is also a tougher schedule. And I don't expect the Big Ten to be as mediocre as a whole as it was last year. That was as bad as I can ever remember seeing the league (maybe my memory fails me).

There are alot of "should win" games in the non-conference, but it's going to be brutal IMO once conference play starts.

Derp from the first half of the thread.

3-9, wins over Missouri State, W Mich, and ISU

OK, I always start every season believing that the Hawks will win every game, every year...

But then, someone starts a serious topic and I've got to take off my blinders and let the analytical chips fall where they may, so here goes.

And man, how I wish I could get over to the optimistic side of the fence... But after watching last season's debacle offense and the changes made (or more glaringly - not made) to keep it in place, I've decided to make the prediction for 2013 based on what we saw in 2012. Purely objective, no emotional hawkeye glasses worn. If you are feint of heart, or have a tendency to feel sickly in exceedingly uncomfortable conversations - stop reading now! I warned you, if you still haven't looked away, what you are about to see is my 2-10 prediction...

No. Ill - LOSS. Huskies struggle a bit with Iowa D, but get 13-17 pts on the board. Iowa can't keep up.
NWMSU - WIN. Much like UNI last year, Iowa has too much O and D and wins by 10.
ISU - LOSS. Road trip to a team that will sell all out to win "their biggest game of the year" - Questions?
WMU - WIN. Very close game, we decide to recover onside kicks and not commit PF penalties at inopportune times, that might say lose us the game.
The rest of the season - ALL Losses. I think Minnesota and Purdue will be very close games (one score). The rest MSU, OSU, NW, UW, Mich, & Neb I believe have the potential to "get medieval" with the Hawks losing by three or four TDs or more.

It pains me to put my prediction into writing and I sincerely hope that I am as wrong as wrong can be. But after an objective analysis of last season's games and the off season moves, this is how I believe year two of the dreaded horizontal offense will play out.

Finally, if I'm wrong, and oh do I hope I am very wrong, should the Hawks win more than two games I will gladly acknowledge any spear thrown my way and admit my egregious error in public for all to see.

Again, I sincerely hope I am flat out wrong and that we've seen the last of the air mailed one step drop sideline passes to row 15 and higher. And that we attempt to throw the ball somewhere in the vicinity or beyond the first down markers. and finally I hope that our running plays into 9 and 10 man fronts are farther and fewer between.,, and of course who could forget the delay of game penalties in the 2 minute offense, ah the memories... wait, I"m feeling very sleepy now and almost dream like can see the ghosts of offenses past (2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 etc...) that moved the ball down the field and tried to score TDs...

And from the second half.

This is what I know after 14 years of watching KF coached teams:

1. The man knows how to develop players, pure and simple.
2. His teams typically perform better when they have little to no national pub early on.
3. No matter what type of season we are having, we typically lose to a team we had no business losing to and on the flipside, will typically beat a team we had no business beating.

Based on those three things and based on having a year under our belts with a slew of new coaches and old coaches in new positions, these are my predictions:

Northern Illinois - Win - While they still have Lynch who accounted for nearly 5,000 yds of total offense, they lost their head coach, best receiver and rb and a slew of defensive starters. Plus it's at Kinnick.
Missouri State - Win - Hopefully by a wide margin.
@ Iowa State - Win - Even though it's at Jack Trice, this might be one of Rhoads' worst teams....at least early on. We should dominate them in the trenches. Will be close as nearly all of them have been since 1998.
Western Michigan - Win - KF can't go 0-fer against this team, can he?
@Minnesota - Win - We finally exorcise the demons of TCF Bank Stadium!
Michigan State - Win - We should be better, they lose a lot. It's at Kinnick.
OSU - Loss - It's at Columbus...nothing more to say except that.
Northwestern - Loss - I don't like the matchup against Mark and Colter as much as I do the following week against Wisky.
Wisconsin - Win - Much more of a match-up, style-wise. And it's at Kinnick. And we owe them for 2010.
@Purdue - Win - Just a gut feeling....nothing more than that.
Michigan - Loss - This will be closer than people think. At Kinnick, late November, and still something to play for as my prediction is 8-2 coming into this game
@ Nebraska - Win - This is the one we get this year that we have no business getting.

Final prediction - 9-3

I'm #SOPROUD of this prediction! :D

I'm going to be optimistic. Plus I'm better at predicting basketball than football games. So here it goes.

08/31/13 vs. Northern Illinois WIN 1-0
09/07/13 vs. Missouri State Win 2-0
09/14/13 at Iowa State Win 3-0
09/21/13 vs. Western Michigan Win 4-0
09/28/13 at Minnesota Win 5-0
10/05/13 vs. Michigan State Win 6-0
10/19/13 at Ohio State Loss 6-1
10/26/13 vs. Northwestern Loss 6-2
11/02/13 vs. Wisconsin Loss 6-3
11/09/13 at Purdue Win 7-3
11/23/13 vs. Michigan Loss 7-4
11/29/13 at Nebraska Loss 7-5

My win/loss prediction was pretty close, but man I was way off on who we would beat and who we would lose to in conference.

Latest posts