HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

8-4 or 8-5 before Bowl.

I also want to point out that Jon has NOT made a on-the-record prediction in his OP, only listed all possible possibilities (along side some probabilities).

Last edited:
N. Illinois- loss
Mo. State- win
Iowa St- loss
W. Michigan- loss
Minny- win
Ohio St- loss
Mich St- loss
NW- loss
Wisky- loss
Purdue- win
Michigan- loss
Nebraska- loss

3-9. I hope I am dead wrong and that record is reversed.

Wow, you have a home loss to W Mich and then go on the road to beat Minny. interesting

N. Illinois- win
Mo. State- win
Iowa St- loss
W. Michigan- win
Minny- win
Ohio St- loss
Mich St- win
NW- loss
Wisky- win
Purdue- win.
Michigan- loss
Nebraska- loss

7-5
8-5 with a bowl victory

It's also hilarious to watch people predicting bowl victories, even though they have absolutely no idea in the world who we could even possibly be playing. That's just precious.

N. Illinois- win
Mo. State- win
Iowa St- win
W. Michigan- win
Minny- win
Ohio St- loss
Mich St- loss
NW- loss
Wisky- loss
Purdue- win
Michigan- loss
Nebraska- loss

6-6 with the only game I don't see us having a chance in being tOSU, and the only game I don't see us having a chance of losing being Missouri State.

5-7

Wins over Mizzu St, ISU, directional Mich, Minny, and "Our Most Hated Rival."

No chance at 8 wins, even when drunj and wearing Homer glasses.

Also, and I'd like to be on record for this, I predict an epic meltdown if we do lose to NIU. There will be gnashing of teeth and trolls galore. People will be calling for KF's head and predicting a winless season. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

I think Iowa will improved in alot of areas and will be a much more competitive team. Will look much better on the field. That being said qb have no experience ( which how they didn't get in last year is amazing and baffling ) wr just a mess and a tougher schedule I'm going with 5-7 one shocking win one dumb loss and a couple of close game losses

8-4 or 8-5 before Bowl.

I also want to point out that Jon has NOT made a on-the-record prediction in his OP, only listed all possible possibilities (along side some probabilities).

First off, 8-5 before bowl is unattainable. Second off, I picked Iowa to be 6-6. Then I went and added my percentages on what I thought the most likely record is..which you will also see 6-6 with the highest percentage. Thanks for reading.

I think we see a return of the Special teams to being very good from the recent past of "mediocre" (at best). Thanks to coach White I think we block a few punts and Cotton takes a couple "to the house" this year and plays like that can help turn games around.

I agree... I haven't seen anyone talk about special teams yet, but if they're successful to very good it could be huge. Meyer certainly seems capable. Even, dare I say, Kaeding-esque? No idea about punter though, need another Donahue, did any of the guys play last year. In terms of coverage or returners, we need some young guys who are hungry to show their skills. If special teams are good that could swing a few games to our favor..

I look at this season a bit like buying a Powerball ticket. There's that fantasy of "what if" and you start dreaming about the possibilities. What if they're way better than people think.. What if they go into OSU and win, then beat Michigan and play for a Big Ten title and beat OSU, then go to the National Title and win.. That's like hitting the jackpot.. But a 10-2 or 9-3 season is about like winning $100..

I also hope Weismann can have a Greene-esque year.. That would be huge.

Quite frankly I see 6-6 as the benchmark.. Anything under I'm disappointed over I'm ecstatic and at I'm content..

I don't think KF has ever been under this much pressure during his tenure at Iowa. !

Oh my this isn't even close to the pressure that he had with his 2-19 start and 13 straight losses. That was when he had just arrived at Iowa, had moved his family across the country and was hardly established in his life...and things could have gone the other way at that time.

Now, he's been at Iowa for more than 14 years, he's earned over 30 million from Iowa during his coaching tenure and has another 20 guaranteed as long as he doesn't cheat or all of the sudden engage in immoral behavior that would lead to his firing.

He has his family taken care of, likely has his grandkids taken care of and he has arguably the best job security (read contract) in all of college sports. Where is the pressure?

I agree... I haven't seen anyone talk about special teams yet, but if they're successful to very good it could be huge. Meyer certainly seems capable. Even, dare I say, Kaeding-esque?

Kaeding was arguably the most accurate kicker in college football history when he left. In fact, he was from 40-yards out at the time he left Iowa. He was also one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history. So I don't want to go there, as Meyer doesn't have the leg Nate did...but he is good.

Iowa was good on KOR last year...I think with Cotton and Canzeri they could have something pretty special if they can block it up. Would love to have a threat to return in PR game, not just someone who will field the ball cleanly.

First off, 8-5 before bowl is unattainable. Second off, I picked Iowa to be 6-6. Then I went and added my percentages on what I thought the most likely record is..which you will also see 6-6 with the highest percentage. Thanks for reading.

I guess he thinks 8-4 could put Iowa in the B1G championship game? Lose to OSU, and there you go, 8-5 before the bowl game. Maybe we can get the Wisconsin treatment, and just have the entire division ineligible for postseason play...my God to those ******* have incredible timing.

Oh my this isn't even close to the pressure that he had with his 2-19 start and 13 straight losses. That was when he had just arrived at Iowa, had moved his family across the country and was hardly established in his life...and things could have gone the other way at that time.

Now, he's been at Iowa for more than 14 years, he's earned over 30 million from Iowa during his coaching tenure and has another 20 guaranteed as long as he doesn't cheat or all of the sudden engage in immoral behavior that would lead to his firing.

He has his family taken care of, likely has his grandkids taken care of and he has arguably the best job security (read contract) in all of college sports. Where is the pressure?

I was 13 or 14 when Ferentz started at Iowa so that initial pressure is hard for me to remember. I watched the Hawks, but I wasn't half as passionate about college football at that time as I am now. I was more interested in playing football and girls at the time. Now I'm dating a girl with a two year old, and watching the Hawks football and basketball games has become my favorite way to "get away" from things for a couple hours. So I'm much more engaged now than I was then... I guess that's probably why I feel like this is the most pressure he's been under. I can see why it isn't even close to the pressure he felt when he started though.

Here is the prediction that I ran through on Thursday. Hopefully there are some loses that will get turned to W's!!

08/31/13 vs. Northern Illinois WIN 1-0
09/07/13 vs. Missouri State Win 2-0
09/14/13 at Iowa State Loss 2-1
09/21/13 vs. Western Michigan Win 3-1
09/28/13 at Minnesota * Loss 3-2
10/05/13 vs. Michigan State * Loss 3-3
10/19/13 at Ohio State * Loss 3-4
10/26/13 vs. Northwestern * Loss 3-5
11/02/13 vs. Wisconsin * Loss 3-6
11/09/13 at Purdue * Win 4-6
11/23/13 vs. Michigan * Loss 4-7
11/29/13 at Nebraska * Loss 4-8

4-8 again this year. Iowa could very well be a better team than it was a year ago, but this is also a tougher schedule. And I don't expect the Big Ten to be as mediocre as a whole as it was last year. That was as bad as I can ever remember seeing the league (maybe my memory fails me).

There are alot of "should win" games in the non-conference, but it's going to be brutal IMO once conference play starts.

Assuming you are correct on both ends of his career as HC at Iowa, maybe this is the problem. Pressure is a good thing - he certainly responded in the early years. If he really does not feel pressure now, I don't think that bodes well for Iowa. However, maybe the pressure now is to end his career strong to secure his legacy - if he has more 4-8-type seasons, I think his legacy will be scarred, or mixed at best. Certainly he wouldn't want to walk away on those terms - or if seasons like last year continue, he may not get the chance to walk away. He comes off as humble, but I believe his ego is big enough that he feels the pressure to want to be known as one of the great Iowa coaches.

Latest posts