HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

I think we see a return of the Special teams to being very good from the recent past of "mediocre" (at best). Thanks to coach White I think we block a few punts and Cotton takes a couple "to the house" this year and plays like that can help turn games around.

I don't see us beating fOSU, Michigan, Nebraska and Northwestern. Just not enough pass rush for these teams. The defense was not the real problem for the Hawks last year, but I don't believe we have the speed at the edge to slow these offenses down.

Everyone else on the schedule is possible and if that offensive line can stay healthy and move the chains with Alstott 2.0 (Weisman) and a Smashmouth offense we could be a very respectable team this year. I see a return of the passes to the RB out of the backfield - remember the scoring play Canzeri made vs Oklahoma in the bowl game. I think we see Canzeri and Bullock out in space where they can really use thier skills. That would compliment the sledgehammer Weisman very well. I think we see a QB who is trained to look at Option 1, then Option 2 and if those 2 aren't there - he immediately takes off and uses his feet to get some valuable yards. Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't wait until the 8th game to remember what an advantage we have with our TE's.

I'm hoping for 7 - 5. The offense just has to better this year... doesn't it?

The d will be better than last year right off the bat.
The running game should be strong.
I think on paper they should win all the non con games

I think people are overlooking the fact that Iowa will have played two games before ISU and Iowa State will have only played one. That can make a big difference early in the season.

So many folks got us losing to the clones this year. Maybe most folks don't have a good idea how horrible the clones will really be this year?

FreedComanche

We cant seem to get up for that game. Clowns just seem to want it more. It makes me sick to say that.

NIU - Loss. Not sold on on the Dline and secondary. Lynch will have a great day.
Missouri State - Win. No excuses for not winning this game
@ISU - Loss. Don't care how bad ISU is supposed to be, it's at ISU.
Western Michigan - Win. Barely
@Minny - Loss
Michigan St - Loss
@OSU - Loss. Not a chance on the road.
Northwestern - Loss.
Wisconsin - Loss. Even with all the changes.
@Purdue - Win. Hawks find a way to win this one.
Michigan - Loss. No chance
@Nebraska - Loss.

So yeah, 3-9. Hope I'm wrong. Hope the D-line comes together and reminds us of the dominating lines of years past. Hopefully a QB emerges that can run the "system" that is in place. Hopefully someone emerges as a standout WR. Too many question marks, especially on offense for me to think any different. Last year's offense was horrid with a veteran QB and 1 veteran WR that are both gone. Hard to think this year's offense can be better.

Here are my thoughts: Losing a game in September will make it very tough for Iowa to finish 6-6. Last year Iowa won one unexpected conference road game, Michigan State. Iowa has a chance to win against Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan State and Purdue. Minnesota is the most probable. Wisconsin the least probable.

Northern Illinois: Win. Northern Illinois can't be overlooked but Iowa should be able to control this game. Northern Illinois doesn't have the talent they had last year, but Iowa must prove they are a better team this year, not only to the fans but to themselves.

Missouri State: Win. Shouldn't be a challenge. Though a lack of domination here may be a harbinger of things to come.

@Iowa State: Win. Iowa State lost some top talent but they are home. Iowa is supposed to be improved from last year. Prove it.

Western Michigan: Win. Another game Iowa needs to dominate. We would hope that both lines would be solid by this point. If not...

@Minnesota: Win. Iowa has a solid chance to win this game. This may be the only conference game where they are favored.

Michigan St: Loss. Iowa got an unexpected win last year. Expect this one to be a dog fight that goes either way. Possible win, probable loss.

@Ohio St: Loss. Iowa has almost no chance of winning this game. tOSU is expected to be a national contender so we can expect them to score early and often. Iowa's only hope is that the game isn't over by half time.

Northwestern: Loss. It's possible that Iowa comes home after a solid thumping and takes it out on Northwestern. Northwestern will test Iowa's defense from the opening drive.

Wisconsin: Win. Wisconsin has talent but a new coach. By November they should be a better team but so should Iowa. And the game is in Kinnick.

@Purdue: Loss. Iowa lost this one 27-24 at home last year. New coach for the home team. The edge still goes to Purdue.

Michigan: Loss. Home loss against one of the top three teams in the conference.

@Nebraska: Loss. Another loss to Nebraska. Senior QB. Talent to spare and a home field advantage for Nebraska. This will be the third loss in a row to Nebraska. Not much of a rivalry.

NIU - Loss. Not sold on on the Dline and secondary. Lynch will have a great day.
Missouri State - Win. No excuses for not winning this game
@ISU - Loss. Don't care how bad ISU is supposed to be, it's at ISU.
Western Michigan - Win. Barely
@Minny - Loss
Michigan St - Loss
@OSU - Loss. Not a chance on the road.
Northwestern - Loss.
Wisconsin - Loss. Even with all the changes.
@Purdue - Win. Hawks find a way to win this one.
Michigan - Loss. No chance
@Nebraska - Loss.

So yeah, 3-9. Hope I'm wrong. Hope the D-line comes together and reminds us of the dominating lines of years past. Hopefully a QB emerges that can run the "system" that is in place. Hopefully someone emerges as a standout WR. Too many question marks, especially on offense for me to think any different. Last year's offense was horrid with a veteran QB and 1 veteran WR that are both gone. Hard to think this year's offense can be better.

Last years offense was bad but the line should be good if healthy. The line has a lot of talent and guys that have played. The TEs are very good. There are several capable running backs. Martin Manley is a solid receiver. There are some good pieces in place.

Weisman and Bullock combined for 1377 and 4.7 yds per carry and that was playing with a makeshift line in the last half of the year.
They return players that accounted for 161 receptions for 1574 yds.

I agree - to an extent. But considering that KF uses non-con like NFL pre-season, we just can't feel real confident where the hawks will be at QB. It is totally conceivable that the team will be playing a guy who doesn't make mistakes in practice but can't move the ball in games. It is also conceivable that they will decide on a starter too late to give him enough summer practice reps. Of course there is always the "if nobody emerges as the clear QB1 in Fall practice, you don't have one" angle.

Add to this that the team usually doesn't come close to matching ISU's intensity level and you can understand the picks. In other words, it has little to do with ISU.

My prediction for the season is 7-6.
Caar,
I don't see intensity being an issue with this team this year; regardless if game. From the interviews, everyone is all in, on board, and fired up.

I don't honestly see any chance that Iowa starts off at 5-1.
This. Morehouse and Doc did the same thing on their podcast. Both had Iowa get off to a great start and then end up at 6-6 or 7-5. If Iowa starts 5-1, they're going to have a great year. Unfortunately, they're not nearly good enough to do that. Also keep in mind that KF rarely if ever has a start like that, even during the good years (3-3 start in 2008, 2-2 start in 2004). The years they have gotten to 5-1 or better are 2002, 2003, and 2009. Edit: I guess they were 5-1 in 2006 and then went 1-6 down the stretch. God that was an awful year.

Last edited:
This. Morehouse and Doc did the same thing on their podcast. Both had Iowa get off to a great start and then end up at 6-6 or 7-5. If Iowa starts 5-1, they're going to have a great year. Unfortunately, they're not nearly good enough to do that. Also keep in mind that KF rarely if ever has a start like that, even during the good years (3-3 start in 2008, 2-2 start in 2004). The years they have gotten to 5-1 or better on 2002, 2003, and 2009. Edit: I guess they were 5-1 in 2006 and then went 1-6 down the stretch. God that was an awful year.

Iowa also started 5-1 in '10, so that's 5 times in the last 11 seasons. Definitely not "rarely if ever."

Iowa also started 5-1 in '10, so that's 5 times in the last 11 seasons. Definitely not "rarely if ever."
And 3 of those years they finished in the Top 10 of the final poll. Only twice in KF's 14 seasons have they gotten to 5-1 and finished with a mediocre record. That's the point, genius. It's much more likely that a KF team will get off to a rough start than it is that they start great and then fizzle.

I think we see a return of the Special teams to being very good from the recent past of "mediocre" (at best). Thanks to coach White I think we block a few punts and Cotton takes a couple "to the house" this year and plays like that can help turn games around.
You realize that Iowa was at the very top of the Big Ten in both kickoff returns AND coverage last year, right? Our special teams were as good as they've ever been last year.

LOL, they've been horrible for the last 10 years too, and have how many victories over Iowa during that time?

They've been bad most years, but not horrible most of the past 10 years. If you look at their roster this year you will see what I am talking about what I say they will be horrible. They will be the worst team in the big 12.

I have them ranked in the bottom 10 of all d-1a teams this year.

FreedComanche

7-5

Same ole, same ole, the KF detractors will still be KF detractors, supporters will still be supporters and the fanbase will continue to be divided over the HC and the future of the program.

I really dont think the fanbase is divided. The 200 or so people who are choosing to take part in this particular debate on this website may be...but message board are not representative of the masses at large...or at least I have not found that to be the case

They've been bad most years, but not horrible most of the past 10 years. If you look at their roster this year you will see what I am talking about what I say they will be horrible. They will be the worst team in the big 12.I have them ranked in the bottom 10 of all d-1a teams this year.FreedComanche
Well I sat in their high school stadium in 2007 and watched one of the worst D1 teams in America, coming off a double digit loss to freakin UNI, kick 5 fgs and beat JC6 and the Hawks in one of the worst "football" games that I've ever seen in my life (until last year's Cy-Hawk affair, which made the 2007 game look like an instant classic), so pardon the hell out of me if I don't find it too far fetched that a Bottom 10 Clown outfit can still beat a mediocre Iowa team, especially in Lames.

I am not going to go on record with a game-by-game or overall prediction for the entire season, as that is fairly pointless, but I will go on record that this is at best a 2-2 team in the OOC (losses to Clown U and N Ill), and I have a hard time seeing our first victory at TCF coming against the best Minnesota team in several years, considering that we have already lost twice there to HORRIBLE, AWFUL, MISERABLY bad Goof squads. We will get one of the B1G heavyweights at home in the "OMG, how in the world did they pull that off" KF special, but this team will not finish anywhere near .500.

And 3 of those years they finished in the Top 10 of the final poll. Only twice in KF's 14 seasons have they gotten to 5-1 and finished with a mediocre record. That's the point, genius. It's much more likely that a KF team will get off to a rough start than it is that they start great and then fizzle.

Iowa has started 5-1 under Ferentz 5 times. 3 of those 5 times, they've had a great year. 2 of those 5 times, they've fizzled. With such a small sample size, and such a small gap between the two results, I'm not sure one can rightly discern a trend.

Latest posts