Hey look....Willies to Texas Tech

This thread has really gone off the rails. Maybe it should be it's own thread.

Do some of you guys really think Wegher threw everything away after being a great focus of attention (maybe even fame) in the Orange Bowl? That he was a 19 year old child - maybe even mentally challenged because the world was at his feet after the Orange Bowl and he partied it away?

Maybe, as I've pointed out in my previous post, he thought he had nothing more to gain as an Iowa slot receiver. He was told by the coaching staff he wasn't going to see the field as a running tailback even after performances in the Orange Bowl and other highlights of his running that season.

What more was Wegher going to need to show the Iowa staff so he could run some tailback plays? Wegher wasn't asking to start - just run some plays, just participate as an Iowa tailback. How do I know this? He went sideways before the start of the 2010 season when plans were for him to be a slot receiver and and not in the middle of the 2009 season when plans were for him to be a tailback. Overt plans, at least..

I eagerly await your responses. Especially the ones that say, to the effect, that Wegher was undisciplined and immature.
Really. Have you ever seen one of KF's press conferences? What's your excuse for allowing KF's undisciplined and immature behavior, there, but not Wegher's? That KF knows better? Snort, about offense?

This thread has really gone off the rails. Maybe it should be it's own thread.

Do some of you guys really think Wegher threw everything away after being a great focus of attention (maybe even fame) in the Orange Bowl? That he was a 19 year old child - maybe even mentally challenged because the world was at his feet after the Orange Bowl and he partied it away?

Maybe, as I've pointed out in my previous post, he thought he had nothing more to gain as an Iowa slot receiver. He was told by the coaching staff he wasn't going to see the field as a running tailback even after performances in the Orange Bowl and other highlights of his running that season.

What more was Wegher going to need to show the Iowa staff so he could run some tailback plays? Wegher wasn't asking to start - just run some plays, just participate as an Iowa tailback. How do I know this? He went sideways before the start of the 2010 season when plans were for him to be a slot receiver and and not in the middle of the 2009 season when plans were for him to be a tailback. Overt plans, at least..

I eagerly await your responses. Especially the ones that say, to the effect, that Wegher was undisciplined and immature.
Really. Have you ever seen one of KF's press conferences? What's your excuse for allowing KF's undisciplined and immature behavior, there, but not Wegher's? That KF knows better? Snort, about offense?

Haven't really heard how you actually know this. Did you hear it from a "source" or are your just coming to your own conclusions? If playing time was why he left the school, why didn't he just transfer? Seems like the kid had created a whirlwind of problems for himself and was spiraling downward from all reports at the time. If I'm not mistaken didn't Brandon even talk about this in an interview saying how he regretted quitting football? I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure I remember that. I have my frustrations with Ferentz as well but this Wegher argument seems like a bit of a stretch.

So can we skip the part where Willies enrolls at Oklahoma and leaves almost immediately, then spends two years in the wilderness outside Sioux Falls or Dakota Dunes, then reappears playing against kids five years younger in a NAIA school or something, then gets an NFL Network show spot about undrafted/undraftable players.

Maybe we should skip to the part where KF handles the Oline and that's all he handles 'cause that's where his expertise lies and let someone, anyone else, who has more expertise handle other parts of Iowa football?

Last edited:
with so many legitimate reasons to have doubts on KF, these are the ones that are such a reach, and in Wegher case, just inaccurate.

Hey, where's Willies gonna play again?

Ugh.

With a straight face, convince anyone in HN KF will be gone in 2 years. There are way too many KF apologists who've popped up in this thread who will certainly back the cap up.

Geeze, it's like sharia, here, with all the flack. NO, it's not a reach to consider the Wegher fiasco this way. It was a fiasco for Iowa and Iowa recruiting. Maybe the flack should be called 'Ferentz(aria)' -or just Ferentz mania?

Last edited:
So can we skip the part where Willies enrolls at Oklahoma and leaves almost immediately, then spends two years in the wilderness outside Sioux Falls or Dakota Dunes, then reappears playing against kids five years younger in a NAIA school or something, then gets an NFL Network show spot about undrafted/undraftable players.

That was all Ferentz' fault. Wegher's wandering wet wiener is also Ferentz' fault. Everything is Ferentz' fault.

I'm as critical of Ferentz as anyone but the derp in this thread is pathetic. Canonizing Willies, a guy who caught FOUR PASSES for Iowa as a RS frosh (can't be right - Ferentz doesn't play frosh...), then was hurt, then quit. Now blaming freakin' WEGHER's life choices on KF??? Pathetic.

In limited open practices and games he produced as many big plays as anyone on the roster.

He caught 4 balls, total.

The sense is that there was an internal debate on if with success would he become the next DJK in terms of attitude and flamboyance. KF might have sensed this and put the brakes on him.

Ferentz injured him?

I do have one criticism of KF on the Willies situation. Taking questions on Willies' departure, he went along with the lie that it was about being closer to Derrick's dad. Probably intended to help DW save face, but subsequent events, and teammate comments, discredited that story.

That was all Ferentz' fault. Wegher's wandering wet wiener is also Ferentz' fault. Everything is Ferentz' fault.

I'm as critical of Ferentz as anyone but the derp in this thread is pathetic. Canonizing Willies, a guy who caught FOUR PASSES for Iowa as a RS frosh (can't be right - Ferentz doesn't play frosh...), then was hurt, then quit. Now blaming freakin' WEGHER's life choices on KF??? Pathetic.

Billso, I don't recall that Willies was ever hurt during the 2014 season. What were his injuries? All I ever heard (from CJ interview) and read were being closer to his ailing father and frustration at not playing. I don't recall any report that Willies was ever injured during the 2014 season.

He caught 4 balls, total.

Ferentz injured him?

I do have one criticism of KF on the Willies situation. Taking questions on Willies' departure, he went along with the lie that it was about being closer to Derrick's dad. Probably intended to help DW save face, but subsequent events, and teammate comments, discredited that story.

Supposition in support of kfootball is okay, but supposition not in support of kfootball is not okay? The subsequent comments from teammates added "frustration over not playing" to Willies' statement that he wanted to be closer to his ailing father. That isn't discrediting Willies originally stated reason, rather, adding another reason to it, in their opinion.

And, the way I recall kfootball answering the question about Willies father were statements such as (paraphrasing): "As far as I know, he (the father) will be okay...nothing life threatening." This is a contradiction of Willies' stated reason by minimizing the father's health status and; therefore, not supporting Willies' statement. This is hardly helping Willies save face.

Billso, I don't recall that Willies was ever hurt during the 2014 season. What were his injuries? All I ever heard (from CJ interview) and read were being closer to his ailing father and frustration at not playing. I don't recall any report that Willies was ever injured during the 2014 season.

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/willies-announces-transfer-on-instagram-20141027

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-willies-transfer-from-iowa-program/18068227/

It was a groin injury. The program has always been circumspect about injury details during the season.

What i don't get is how was he disappointed about playtime if the reason he wasn't playing was because of injury?

What i don't get is how was he disappointed about playtime if the reason he wasn't playing was because of injury?

What I don't get is how this young man was so disappointed about playing time within the first 3 games of his first playing year. (Sorry for the cynical tone... I blame the Internet for my actions).

PC, I was just going to post that very thing. It really doesn't add up. Most players don't get upset about not playing if they truly are injured. There is no way to know unless you can talk to Willies and kfootball at the same time and in the same room, but it really doesn't add up.

* Sept 27 @ Purdue. Willies plays.
* Bye.
* Oct 11 IU. (Injury-muscle strain) DNP.
* Oct 18 @ MD. Dresses - DNP.
* Bye. Willies leaves team.

Latest posts