Hey look....Willies to Texas Tech

Who was Willes' position coach? On most football staffs, that is who has the most say in who plays. Second would be the Offensive Coordinator. Why is this discussion all about KF making the decision not to play Willes? Yes, I am aware that the head man has the final say but in reality, I doubt that KF would make decisions that fly in the face of his position coaches and coordinators. And, yes, the QB position may be the lone exception due to unique role of the QB.

It doesn't matter how many fights Willies was in or how tough he was to work with or whether he knew the routes or could block or not. He made a big play in a Spring Game over a year ago so he is a message board legend forever.

Dont care, just worried we no longer have Mark weisman as our RB

Gawd, u dont find slow white guys who are balding just anywhere

Willes talent was on display in spring practice and fall practice. He was a RS freshman and he earned playing time. It's rare that a RS freshman breaks into the lineup at a skill position. However, Smith & Martin-Manley were more talented and experienced upper classmen who he couldn't take playing time from. Willes competed for the 3rd receiver spot. Iowa doesn't run alot of 3 receiver sets, so there wasn't a ton of plays for Willes. After the season started, Willes suffered a hernia injury that nagged him into the middle of the season. He wasn't able to practice or play at full strength. Beathard said the nagging injuries had Willes frustrated. I'm sure he wanted to help Iowa win and felt he could contribute. Despite his talent and opinion of himself, he was a RS freshman learning his position. He was not a veteran player who had the coach's trust who could afford to miss practices and still play on Saturday. He had to be able to block downfield, run precise routes, run decoy routes etc. If Iowa brought him in for three or four limited plays a game and threw to him every time every Big Ten defense would have that scouted real quick. The best players for the team perform all their position responsibilities well. Quitting mid-season on the team then trying to come back but not wanting to atone for his mistakes clearly displayed where his mindset was. Football is a team sport. Willes was a cancer.

"Hauled in game-clinching 50+ yd pass in 4th quarter against UNI, then caught late 4th qtr TD vs Ball St, then sat on the bench."

Internet legend growing? Caught pass early in 4th qtr for 45 yard gain moving Iowa deep into UNI territory while leading 24-23....no TD. Caught short TD vs. Ball St. following week. Played in three more games after Ball State game while nursing nagging injuries. Then quit!

In the end what has Iowa fans frustrated is this is another young guy flashing talent, but who ends up behind older guys and and walkon types all while Iowa plays it safe and loses 6 games against an incredibly easy schedule.

You lose the benefit of the doubt when you lose games to ISU, get blown out by Minnesota , lose games to Maryland and Nebraska you should have won.

In the end what has Iowa fans frustrated is this is another young guy flashing talent, but who ends up behind older guys and and walkon types all while Iowa plays it safe and loses 6 games against an incredibly easy schedule.

You lose the benefit of the doubt when you lose games to ISU, get blown out by Minnesota , lose games to Maryland and Nebraska you should have won.

I think PChawk pretty much nailed it.....We all have lost faith in KF's ability to make personnel decisions. Diehard KF supporter or not you just don't know anymore, at least I don't.

In his defense, Kinnick Stadium is a really big place and its hard to find on a gameday in the fall. Where is the field inside Kinnick anyway? I've never seen it myself.

Willes talent was on display in spring practice and fall practice. He was a RS freshman and he earned playing time. It's rare that a RS freshman breaks into the lineup at a skill position. However, Smith & Martin-Manley were more talented and experienced upper classmen who he couldn't take playing time from. Willes competed for the 3rd receiver spot. Iowa doesn't run alot of 3 receiver sets, so there wasn't a ton of plays for Willes. After the season started, Willes suffered a hernia injury that nagged him into the middle of the season. He wasn't able to practice or play at full strength. Beathard said the nagging injuries had Willes frustrated. I'm sure he wanted to help Iowa win and felt he could contribute. Despite his talent and opinion of himself, he was a RS freshman learning his position. He was not a veteran player who had the coach's trust who could afford to miss practices and still play on Saturday. He had to be able to block downfield, run precise routes, run decoy routes etc. If Iowa brought him in for three or four limited plays a game and threw to him every time every Big Ten defense would have that scouted real quick. The best players for the team perform all their position responsibilities well. Quitting mid-season on the team then trying to come back but not wanting to atone for his mistakes clearly displayed where his mindset was. Football is a team sport. Willes was a cancer.

If Beathard stated Willies frustration was due to injuries, I don't recall that. Not saying he didn't, but I don't recall him saying it. What I do recall is exactly what Jon Miller wrote:
http://hawkeyenation.com/football/miller-cracks-foundation

I recall being closer to his father and lack of playing time (nagging injuries never mentioned.)

To say that KMM was more talented than Willies is misinterpreting what Willies flashed. KMM was definitely more experienced, but not more talented. Willies was the #3 WR, but at the same position as T. Smith. Why would you have Willies battling each other for PT at the same position when they should have both been on the field at the same time? KMM should have been #3 because he was nothing more than a possession receiver.

As for blocking, you can look at the Purdon't game to see Willies make a couple of really good blocks. The point being is that I saw all out effort from Willies. His head and heart were in the game, based on his effort.

You are right, this isn't about parenting, this is about being in charge of young men. Having talent is one thing, realizing that talent is another thing entirely. Talented people in all walks of life pizz their talents down their legs all the time, Willies isn't unique in that sense.

This is strictly a case of KF results right now. If this happened in '10, nobody cares, and you are on here telling everyone we don't need quitters.....much like KF wasn't blamed for Wegher quitting on the team. Since Willies leaves in '14 because and the program is down, the masses like you now say oh yeah, of course this kid should quit right in the middle of the season, cause KF wasn't playing him enough.
I couldn't just let the bolded drivel slide by. I blame KF for making Wegher quit. Let me refresh you: Wegher showed tremendous running ability his true freshman year. The Iowa staff in their 'infinite' coaching wisdom 'rewarded' Wegher by offering him the slot receiver position the following season. I'm not sure if you remember KOK's offense, but targets came to an Iowa slot receiver about twice a game. The possibility of 20-25 touches a game as a tailback down to 2 touches a game as a slot in an instant. .

Wegher was really given no choice. Play as a slot receiver or be buried on the bench as a tailback. What a waste of talent (that Iowa supposedly doesn't get all that often 'cause they're Iowa). Iowa doesn't not recruit well 'cause they're Iowa, they don't recruit well 'cause they don't use their talent (unless their hand is forced).

Last edited:
Who was Willes' position coach? On most football staffs, that is who has the most say in who plays. Second would be the Offensive Coordinator. Why is this discussion all about KF making the decision not to play Willes? Yes, I am aware that the head man has the final say but in reality, I doubt that KF would make decisions that fly in the face of his position coaches and coordinators. And, yes, the QB position may be the lone exception due to unique role of the QB.
Refresh me. Which Iowa coach did Willies have to come to 'hat in hand' to be reinstated? KF likes to micromanage everything even those aspects of football he knows little about.

I couldn't just let the bolded drivel slide by. I blame KF for making Wegher quit. Let me refresh you: Wegher showed tremendous running ability his true freshman year. The Iowa staff in their 'infinite' coaching wisdom 'rewarded' Wegher by offering him the slot receiver position the following season. I'm not sure if you remember KOK's offense, but targets came to an Iowa slot receiver about twice a game. The possibility of 20-25 touches a game as a tailback down to 2 touches a game as a slot in an instant. .

Wegher was really given no choice. Play as a slot receiver or be buried on the bench as a tailback. What a waste of talent (that Iowa supposedly doesn't get all that often 'cause they're Iowa). Iowa doesn't not recruit well 'cause they're Iowa, they don't recruit well 'cause they don't use their talent (unless their hand is forced).

DON'T MENTION O'KEEFE, DUDE. HE'S GONE AND IS NEVER COMING BACK.

HAHAHA.....show me some post of you saying this at the time. You are just pulling this out of your azz right now, and are full of sh!t. Let me guess, DJK told you this along with how KF personally blackballed him from the NFL...LOLOLOL

Last edited:

do you blame Bob Stoops for him leaving Oklahoma too? Or was it because he was ACADEMICALLY INELIGIBLE? get a clue, clown troll.

"I blame KF for making Wegher quit."

Wow, it's your story, spin it so it works for you. Wegher had a great freshman year and the future was in his hands heading into his sophmore year. He never played a down. He never showed up for fall camp. He spent the off season partying. He got his girlfriend pregnant and there were rumors possibly two other girls were pregnant. He supposedly banged several teammates girlfriends too. He whigged out over his problems. He transfered to 3 or 4 schools, got arrested several times and beat his brother badly. It took him several years and some hard lessons, but he finally got his crap together. KF had no role in Wegher's issues.

"I blame KF for making Wegher quit."

Wow, it's your story, spin it so it works for you. Wegher had a great freshman year and the future was in his hands heading into his sophmore year. He never played a down. He never showed up for fall camp. He spent the off season partying. He got his girlfriend pregnant and there were rumors possibly two other girls were pregnant. He supposedly banged several teammates girlfriends too. He whigged out over his problems. He transfered to 3 or 4 schools, got arrested several times and beat his brother badly. It took him several years and some hard lessons, but he finally got his crap together. KF had no role in Wegher's issues.

This is why Wegher was a bad example. People not being upset with Kirk when he left had nothing to do with Iowa winning at the time.

Latest posts