Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

[/B][/I][/U]

Pretty misleading. Throw out the 3 or 4 cupcakes (which sadly we don't win as many as we should against them) each year and KF's record is a little more telling, and less impressive.

1) Its not misleading. Hayden scheduled 3-4 cupcakes also.
2) Youve got it backwards. Its HARDER to win consistently today than it was for Hayden. Scholarship limits have done away with the permenant underclass in BCS conferences, and have made non BCS conference teams more competitive.

As a rule I dont care for hiring family. However it does seem to work farly well in some Collage coaching situations. Do you not think Brian is a good coach. He hasnt been here long enough for me to have a opinion on that yet. But I do think he was well thought of in the Pros

I dont think he is a bad coach but the situation is all wrong. If a department head in academics wanted to hire their kid it would never happen because of the UoI's rules on nepotism. If Kurt doesn't have to follow the rules who is he to tell others to do so?

I have no problem with blanket statements like this, I just wish some facts were presented to supported rather than starting pi$$ing contests.... I'm not a KF hater or apologist. (I think he deserves another yr, but GD does not). I would like to see some data before making fly-by posts such as this though.

My gut tells me KF is at or slightly below average in close games as compared to his peers. For example, look at Dantonio and MSU. They won the close ones for a couple yrs, then in 2012 the bill came due on that and they lost the close ones.

SIAP, but Ferentz is 29-37 all time at Iowa in games decided by 7 points or less (if my count is accurate, could be off by a game or two). Not sure how that compares to other coaches, but it seems pretty awful for a guy who chooses to play close games

SIAP, but Ferentz is 29-37 all time at Iowa in games decided by 7 points or less (if my count is accurate, could be off by a game or two). Not sure how that compares to other coaches, but it seems pretty awful for a guy who chooses to play close games

so true. so very true.

that, and we get rid of Soup cause JVB can't complete a pass? Soup might not have been the best coach, but last year wasn't his fault. he was also the WR coach when we won the Orange bowl...but there is one thing different...cue OK4P!

Reno, you were banned for a month. If you want it to stay at just a month, don't go the alt route again. I am also aware of one more you have created and not really used. We'll just sit back and see what you do there.

FREE RENO!!! Insert Mel Gibson in Bravehart here. (Freedom!)

He has implied it many times when talking about recruiting, ect. He wouldn't come out and say not to expect Iowa to be great. I should of said that ferentz has implied many times that this is just Iowa football and it isn't the same as the so called powerhouses.

He also stated it in the SportsIllustrated article with DJK on the cover. His quote said he never could see a time when Iowa would be considered an elite program.

I say embrace becoming an elite program like the coach at Stanford. I don't think KF is a realist, I believe he just doesn't have the drive in recruiting it takes to maintain the next step. He could prove us all wrong but I think his time at Iowa will end very badly for all involved which is sad because I used to be his biggest fan.

As a rule I dont care for hiring family. However it does seem to work farly well in some Collage coaching situations. Do you not think Brian is a good coach. He hasnt been here long enough for me to have a opinion on that yet. But I do think he was well thought of in the Pros

What seems to be the question is do you really think his son is the best assistant coach ferentz could of found for Iowa? If the answer is yes, do you think it was worth moving an experienced offensive line coach to coach the defensive line where he had no experience? If the answer is no to either of the questions, then ferentz must of been thinking about his own family ahead of being Iowas head coach. If he was so concerned about his kid, he could of given him a couple of million dollars, instead of Iowa football paying for it. Its hard for me to believe that Iowa couldn't of won at least a couple more games this year if ferentz would of thought about the Iowa program when deciding on the assistant coaching staff. Iowa, not ferentz and son, have paid for it this year, and they might pay for it next year.

What seems to be the question is do you really think his son is the best assistant coach ferentz could of found for Iowa? If the answer is yes, do you think it was worth moving an experienced offensive line coach to coach the defensive line where he had no experience? If the answer is no to either of the questions, then ferentz must of been thinking about his own family ahead of being Iowas head coach. If he was so concerned about his kid, he could of given him a couple of million dollars, instead of Iowa football paying for it. Its hard for me to believe that Iowa couldn't of won at least a couple more games this year if ferentz would of thought about the Iowa program when deciding on the assistant coaching staff. Iowa, not ferentz and son, have paid for it this year, and they might pay for it next year.

You seem to have made up your mind on the matter. Which I find difficult to do. What do you base that on? That the offensive line actually performed pretty well for most of the year, until injuries set in? Or that the defensive line performed above expectations (Granted, that doesn't say much. But that unit was utterly devoid of talent and depth this year. The fact Morgan got anything useful out of them is nothing short of a minor miracle.)?

Your two questions both require an accurate assessment of what Brian brings to the table. It's way too soon to know how good he is, and if it was worth moving Morgan. Anyone who's made up their mind on that already is either a member of the program, or just talking out their ***.

He also stated it in the SportsIllustrated article with DJK on the cover. His quote said he never could see a time when Iowa would be considered an elite program.

I say embrace becoming an elite program like the coach at Stanford. I don't think KF is a realist, I believe he just doesn't have the drive in recruiting it takes to maintain the next step. He could prove us all wrong but I think his time at Iowa will end very badly for all involved which is sad because I used to be his biggest fan.

It's already been determined what teams are elite. The last school to win a national championship for the first time was Forida in 1996. Kirk can turn it around, but Iowa will never be an elite program due to the geography and economics of recruiting.

You seem to have made up your mind on the matter. Which I find difficult to do. What do you base that on? That the offensive line actually performed pretty well for most of the year, until injuries set in? Or that the defensive line performed above expectations (Granted, that doesn't say much. But that unit was utterly devoid of talent and depth this year. The fact Morgan got anything useful out of them is nothing short of a minor miracle.)?

Your two questions both require an accurate assessment of what Brian brings to the table. It's way too soon to know how good he is, and if it was worth moving Morgan. Anyone who's made up their mind on that already is either a member of the program, or just talking out their ***.

You sound like one of those ferentz cronies. I guess I should really pay attention to you.

You sound like one of those ferentz cronies. I guess I should really pay attention to you.

Nothing he said was wrong. Before Scherff and Donnal (two of our three best linemen) went down, the O-Line hadn't given up a sack since the first game of the year and was absolutely mauling people in the run game.

On the defensive side, the line had absolutely no talent whatsoever. Hell, only three linemen recorded sacks over the course of the entire season! Yet the line played fairly well despite the obvious lack of talent, and much, much better than anyone imagined heading into the season.

Heck, I would say after one season the re-shuffling of position coaches (i.e. B. Ferentz and Morgan) turned out pretty well. But then again, you most certainly sound like a Ferentz detractor. I guess I should really pay attention to you.

I do feel a lot of people who are typically optimistic or level headed are beginning to question the direction of the program.

Conversations about the 2013 team and the prospects for the season do not last as long as those same type of conversations did in the past about upcoming seasons. Not much to say.

He has implied it many times when talking about recruiting, ect. He wouldn't come out and say not to expect Iowa to be great. I should of said that ferentz has implied many times that this is just Iowa football and it isn't the same as the so called powerhouses.

Why wouldn't he say this many times? The statement exonorates him for his failure. Twice he has moved the program to the cusp of breaking through--'02-'04 & '09--and twice he has failed miserably. It's painfully obvious he now believes that it's Iowa and not him. In the real world, once a manager displays an inkling they are developing the "can't be done attitude, they are "led out." In Iowa City, they arrange a few deck chairs on the Titanic, and those checks keep rooooooooolin in.......

Another poster said it is against the rules. I would like to know the awnser to that because I doubt he broke a rule to do this. I was glad to see Morgon go to the DL I think he will do a good job there. As for the coaches he hired you may be right but In fairness I dont think we know the awnser to that yet. I just think everyone is mad because we had such a bad year. I meen it was painful to watch. But Im old and have come to understand sometimes you have to let personel issuies have some time to work out. We will see. This idea on this board that KF doesnt care is way way off that part just isnt true

If you paid any attention at all on this site, you'd have noticed I was plenty critical of Ferentz this year. I'm not ready to fire him yet, but I'm certainly not singing his praises. Hell, my previous post doesn't side with anyone. I'm hedging my bets right now when it comes to Brian, because it's way too soon to draw a conclusion either way. That's not being a cronie.

You, on the other hand, are looking for any reason to rag on Kirk, whether you have to grasp at straws or not.

QB and center?? No Norm? Greg "LOS Out Pattern" Davis? McNutt? DJK? Angerer? Clayborn? Ballard? Yes, practically identical! I'm going with 12-1...........

The running back part is correct. Though I'm not too sure how good any of them are. Weiseman was a good story and all but he's not really a tailback in the usual sense. We shall see.
On the defense DE problems may sink Iowa. Not convinced the new DC will be great, looks like a downgrade which sucks given Iowa's talent. Too bad there has been so much LB attrition. Iowa really coulda used those guys.

Interesting quote about jake rudock. I have no insight but think he will be the qb too otherwise I think he would have transferred.

CJ Beathard, qb for next year...
Kid has a cannon for an arm.
Iowa's best kept secret weapon

Last edited:

Latest posts