Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

They were 4-2 with those players. They were 0-6 without. They weren't very good before the injuries, but were capable of winning games. After the injuries they were trash. Absolute trash.

4-2 start was also due to the Hawks having one of the easiest pre-season schedules in history. Once they started playing in the Big they were simply a below average team. Not sure that Scherff would have made that big of difference when going up against the Big defenses.

It wouldnt of took much for Iowa to win the Neb. game. We gave them all they wanted.
Ever stop to consider that those two of those wins came against Minnesota and UNI? And they weren't exactly impressive then.

They were capable of beating bad teams (plus No. Ill.) before the injuries. But they pick up MAYBE two more wins without the personnel issues. Purdue I'd say they probably win. Indiana, maybe; that's just not a good matchup for us, and hasn't been for awhile.

But they were not going to beat PSU, Michigan, Nebraska, or Northwestern. They could have possibly finished 6-6, but 5-7 would have been much more likely. Still a pathetic season, given how easy the schedule was.

Rudock has a two year R-E-D-S-H-I-R-T plan? So you let a 4-8 toilet overflow intead of pulling a R-E-D-S-H-I-R-T to plunge it? Guess that's football..........

That's exactly why the coulda woulda shoulda argument is pointless. It cuts both ways.

But everyone suffers injuries, not just Iowa. And I have a very hard time believing Iowa picks up 3 or 4 more wins without the injuries. They weren't dealing with injuries when they lost by 2 points at home to ISU; Weisman dominated the game in a loss to Central ******* Michigan. And while Scherff and Donnal were playing well, they weren't playing well enough to carry a team from beyond hopeless to respectable.

Ever stop to consider that those two of those wins came against Minnesota and UNI? And they weren't exactly impressive then.

They were capable of beating bad teams (plus No. Ill.) before the injuries. But they pick up MAYBE two more wins without the personnel issues. Purdue I'd say they probably win. Indiana, maybe; that's just not a good matchup for us, and hasn't been for awhile.

But they were not going to beat PSU, Michigan, Nebraska, or Northwestern. They could have possibly finished 6-6, but 5-7 would have been much more likely. Still a pathetic season, given how easy the schedule was.

You're really not arguing against me. I think they probably win 6 games without the injuries. I am arguing with those that think it had absolutely no effect.
To the poster that said Scherff's injury wasn't huge deal, you are correct. The injuries to Scherff, Donnal, Weisman, and Rogers in a span of about 1 second was a huge deal.

It wouldnt of took much for Iowa to win the Neb. game. We gave them all they wanted.

Burkhead wasn't at 100% for that game, either. Injuries are part of the game. Iowa had injuries in 2002 (Russell missed a game or two, and I believe Lewis did, too. Might have been more, but I can't remember). Mo Brown and Lewis missed considerable time in 2003. We all know injuries took a toll in 2004. Stanzi got hurt in 2009, so did Moeaki IIRC (although he played through it a lot).

This team couldn't take the injuries and still have a respectable season because it was a bad team. Iowa's good/great teams were so, in part, because they had the typical injuries that every team deals with and still put out W's.

You're really not arguing against me. I think they probably win 6 games without the injuries. I am arguing with those that think it had absolutely no effect.
To the poster that said Scherff's injury wasn't huge deal, you are correct. The injuries to Scherff, Donnal, Weisman, and Rogers in a span of about 1 second was a huge deal.

I said they wouldn't have picked up 3-4 more wins and you countered with 4-2 before the injuries. Picking up two more wins is not 3-4 more wins.

I didnt say we were a very good team. We were short on Talant, experince and depth. No question about it. We also were trying to imlement new offense and Defense. The Offense was much more of change granted. But we were not very far from being decent at a point in the season. Going into MSU and winning is a good thing even if they were a little down this year also. The CM game was a complete lack of execution by the players. Not just the kick but haveing a Sr OL get a personal foul to put them in FG range was bad. It was a bad year. I dont know why people cant move on, KF will be the coach next year. Im betting we improve a lot. Either way Im a Hawk Fan I happen to still be glad we have KF but was a fan before him and will be one after he is gone
Burkhead wasn't at 100% for that game, either. Injuries are part of the game. Iowa had injuries in 2002 (Russell missed a game or two, and I believe Lewis did, too. Might have been more, but I can't remember). Mo Brown and Lewis missed considerable time in 2003. We all know injuries took a toll in 2004. Stanzi got hurt in 2009, so did Moeaki IIRC (although he played through it a lot).

This team couldn't take the injuries and still have a respectable season because it was a bad team. Iowa's good/great teams were so, in part, because they had the typical injuries that every team deals with and still put out W's.

I didnt say we were a very good team. We were short on Talant, experince and depth. No question about it. We also were trying to imlement new offense and Defense. The Offense was much more of change granted. But we were not very far from being decent at a point in the season. Going into MSU and winning is a good thing even if they were a little down this year also. The CM game was a complete lack of execution by the players. Not just the kick but haveing a Sr OL get a personal foul to put them in FG range was bad. It was a bad year. I dont know why people cant move on, KF will be the coach next year. Im betting we improve a lot. Either way Im a Hawk Fan I happen to still be glad we have KF but was a fan before him and will be one after he is gone

I've yet to call for Ferentz to be fired. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pooh pooh this past season as nothing. Things need to get turned around quickly, and I'm not confident it will happen right now.

I understand where you are coming from. I just happen to belive we will be better both of the next two years. Plus we are due to have a few things go our way. Not much did last year. A break here or there can be the difference in 1 or 2 wins. Especialy the way KF coaches using D and ball control. Would also help if he could get better at clock managment. LOL
I've yet to call for Ferentz to be fired. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pooh pooh this past season as nothing. Things need to get turned around quickly, and I'm not confident it will happen right now.

I wasn't trying to say they would have 4-2 in the second have with those players, and apologize for that. I certainly see how it could be taken that way. The point that I was making is that they were clearly worse after those injuries. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. they were a team that could run the ball. The injuries castrated them.

I am in complete agreement with this. All is not lost, but KF had better figure it out sooner than later.

This is how I feel, I didn't see much to assume that Iowa will be significantly better next season. As for my own expectations I don't know but I know others will flip out if Iowa isn't back in a bowl game next season. The schedule is much, much tougher next season. The running game will be better but the passing game probably won't, which in time teams will start to stack the box because they won't respect the pass. Maybe the new QB will show something we didn't see last year in Vandy but I don't think anyone can really start to believe it will happen.

I just threw up.

FreedComanche

Hey Dave where you been ?? We will be better next year on offense. But we wont be what everyone wants. KF just doent coach that way. The key I think will be how much better the D is. Ball control and Defense is how the guy wins when he has good teams. It also has to help with both OC & DC haveing their system in for another year. At least it better help

I wasn't trying to say they would have 4-2 in the second have with those players, and apologize for that. I certainly see how it could be taken that way. The point that I was making is that they were clearly worse after those injuries. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. they were a team that could run the ball. The injuries castrated them.

You have to realize they were a one nut team at best when the season started.

FreedComanche

Hey Dave where you been ?? We will be better next year on offense. But we wont be what everyone wants. KF just doent coach that way. The key I think will be how much better the D is. Ball control and Defense is how the guy wins when he has good teams. It also has to help with both OC & DC haveing their system in for another year. At least it better help

Vacation with the family in Phoenix, it was nice except the weather. They had record lows pretty much the whole time I was down there.

I agree the offense will be better but the question is "how much better?", that bothers me. Iowa isn't going to have a high powered offense and I don't think they need to unless the defense doesn't get better.

I think Ferentz doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, he believes in his system and his style and that is all that matters to him. I don't believe he can bring Iowa back to a BCS game, I really don't. Do I think they could win 7-8 or maybe even 9 games sure if the chips fall in their favor but probably not.

I think the '09 season kind of jinxed the hawks for a while.

It would take a miraculous effort to be any worse.

FreedComanche

You are right about him beliving in his system. Dont think he spends much time worrying about what people on message boards think. Much to the distress of many on here. I just think everyone is caught up in being mad because we had a bad year. I dont see any reason he cant turn this back around and have another good run if he is hiring the right coaches. His whole staff will have been revamped after this year in my opinion. Remember how everyone hated KOK until he left. Im not saying GD is the awnser. Im not that smart. But he better be for KF sake.
Vacation with the family in Phoenix, it was nice except the weather. They had record lows pretty much the whole time I was down there.

I agree the offense will be better but the question is "how much better?", that bothers me. Iowa isn't going to have a high powered offense and I don't think they need to unless the defense doesn't get better.

I think Ferentz doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, he believes in his system and his style and that is all that matters to him. I don't believe he can bring Iowa back to a BCS game, I really don't. Do I think they could win 7-8 or maybe even 9 games sure if the chips fall in their favor but probably not.

I think the '09 season kind of jinxed the hawks for a while.

Latest posts