Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

Next years football season will be like my vasectomy... painful, annoying, and will make my stomach queezy yet I will put myself through the pain while complaining how awful it is. I'm so predictable.

It will be different than a vasectomy in a major way, though. A vasectomy severs your potential liability in the future (e.g., no more child support payments for you after you knock up some bar fly) whereas your pro rata liability for Kurt Ferentz's back end loaded salary will escalate following next season.

The stats are readily available from the weekly game notes. The closer the game is, the worse KF's record is.In games decided by 10 points or less 34-38 .4722, 7 pts or less 29-38 .4328, 3 pts or less 15-23 .3947. For comparison, Northwestern as a program is 32-13 since 2004 in games decided by 7 pts or less. It has been well established that we play more close games than the vast majority of other schools during the KF era, and we are uniformly terrible in those games.

Thanks. I guess that's close to what I expected for 7 pt games, worse on 3 pt games. The Cardiac Cats record does not surprise me one bit, lucky SOBs.

I brought up Dantonio, so I looked up his MSU stats:
22-19 (.536) in game by 10 or less, 18-17 in games by 7 or less (.514) and 10-10 in 3 pt or less games
Bielema was really good in close games. 25-18 (.757), 20-16 (.556), 14-8 (.636)

We can have a great O-line, a decent new QB and Wiseman and Bullock but if we're running Greg Davis' offense, we're gonna suck.

That's just flat out all there is to it. Terrible hire. The only way they can save face here is to fire him and actually hire someone worth a sh*t. For the kinda salary Iowa pays this shouldn't be hard. FIRE GREG DAVIS!

We can have a great O-line, a decent new QB and Wiseman and Bullock but if we're running Greg Davis' offense, we're gonna suck.

That's just flat out all there is to it. Terrible hire. The only way they can save face here is to fire him and actually hire someone worth a sh*t. For the kinda salary Iowa pays this shouldn't be hard. FIRE GREG DAVIS!

I completely agree, I just do not understand KF's loyalty with his assistant coaches. He should have been shown the door the day after the season ended.

BTW, good to see you expo..where the heck you been?

Well, we'll find out this next year if it was JVB or Davis's offensive playcalling. If it's bad again, he needs to go, but I saw too many open WR's and TE's to think the OC is strictly to blame.

The offense was terrible, personally the jury is still out on GD until I see someone else other than Vandenberg run the offense. There were many times last year Iowa had receivers or tight ends running free and JVB would lock on pre snap to someone no matter down or distance.

Davis has a national title and Rose Bowl victory on his resume. Sure, the guy is a downgrade from O'Keefe, but when the fun and sun of Miami came calling, we couldn't compete, we're just lil ol Iowa. Iowa assistant salaries aren't great, but if we're going to fire someone, let's start with guys who don't have Rose Bowls and national titles on their resumes.

Well, we'll find out this next year if it was JVB or Davis's offensive playcalling. If it's bad again, he needs to go, but I saw too many open WR's and TE's to think the OC is strictly to blame.

Yep. O'Keefe was the QB coach as well and when we lost him, it set things back, but I could see Year 2 of the Davis Era being even more successful than Mao's Great Leap Forward.

It will be different than a vasectomy in a major way, though. A vasectomy severs your potential liability in the future (e.g., no more child support payments for you after you knock up some bar fly) whereas your pro rata liability for Kurt Ferentz's back end loaded salary will escalate following next season.

Nor will I have to sit around with frozen peas on my balls. Thats just my avatar I think Ferentz deserves every penny he gets, I hope 2020 comes around and he becomes Athletic Director for the university and pulls a Barry Alvarez keep that hand in the cookie jar Kirk!!

[/B]
But every time you post, [they] do realize how thick your skull is. Rah, rah, for another big 6 win season!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's cheering for six wins?

What too few people don't understand is Iowa has always been a slightly above average football program at best and that's not going to change. Unless they hit a homerun miracle hire at some point like chip kelly. What they also fail to realize is that for every Chip Kelly there are 30 zookers. Iowa had to rebuild three times under Hayden, and he was able to lead them to a rosebowl (or close) all three times. Ferentz is two for two in rebuilding and I see no reason he won't get the job done again

Oh and something else... for those that can't figure out what Iowa get for 4 mil per year.... Iowas losing regular season this year was their first since 2000. Thats the longest such streak in the history of Iowa football.

Last edited:
Who's cheering for six wins?

What too few people don't understand is Iowa has always been a slightly above average football program at best and that's not going to change. Unless they hit a homerin miracle hire at some point lime chip kelly. What they also fail to realize is that for every Chip Kelly there are 30 zookers. Iowa had to rebuild three times under Hayden, and he was able to lead them to a rosebowl (or close) all three times. Ferentz is two for two in rebuilding and I see no reason he won't get the job done again

Oh and something else... for those that can't figure out what Iowa get for 4 mil per year.... Iowas losing regular season this year was their first since 2001. Thats the longest such streak in the history of Iowa football.

Pretty misleading. Throw out the 3 or 4 cupcakes (which sadly we don't win as many as we should against them) each year and KF's record is a little more telling, and less impressive.

[/B][/I][/U]

Pretty misleading. Throw out the 3 or 4 cupcakes (which sadly we don't win as many as we should against them) each year and KF's record is a little more telling, and less impressive.

Hayden Fry was a great coach. His goal was to go and win the rose bowl every year. I'm sure ferentz would love to go and win the rose bowl, but I doubt that is his goal. He has stated many times not to expect greatness from Iowa football. Ferentz seems to want to win six, seven, and if everything goes real good more games, but I doubt he is trying to build a great football program. If ferentz wins six games next year by beating up on three cupcakes in the preconference season, goes to a bowl game, I think he will be a satisfied man. You can be below average and still be successful. You can't argue with ferentzes personal success.

You have a quote of KF saying not to expect greatness from Iowa Football ? Thats news to me. Could you tell us when and where he has said that.
Hayden Fry was a great coach. His goal was to go and win the rose bowl every year. I'm sure ferentz would love to go and win the rose bowl, but I doubt that is his goal. He has stated many times not to expect greatness from Iowa football. Ferentz seems to want to win six, seven, and if everything goes real good more games, but I doubt he is trying to build a great football program. If ferentz wins six games next year by beating up on three cupcakes in the preconference season, goes to a bowl game, I think he will be a satisfied man. You can be below average and still be successful. You can't argue with ferentzes personal success.

You have a quote of KF saying not to expect greatness from Iowa Football ? Thats news to me. Could you tell us when and where he has said that.

He has implied it many times when talking about recruiting, ect. He wouldn't come out and say not to expect Iowa to be great. I should of said that ferentz has implied many times that this is just Iowa football and it isn't the same as the so called powerhouses.

Well, if one thing is for certain its that the natives will be restless from the first snap concerning this offense. If it is even remotely as bad as last year then I think we will see a return of Hog Heads and JD bottles being thrown onto Kinnick's new turf.

I completely agree, I just do not understand KF's loyalty with his assistant coaches. He should have been shown the door the day after the season ended.

BTW, good to see you expo..where the heck you been?

I think he actually warranted an in season firing.

Thanks Tierney, I dont think there is any question that its not reasonable to think we can compete with top tier programs in recruiting But would be very upset to hear him say he didnt exspect greatness from his team.
He has implied it many times when talking about recruiting, ect. He wouldn't come out and say not to expect Iowa to be great. I should of said that ferentz has implied many times that this is just Iowa football and it isn't the same as the so called powerhouses.

Thanks Tierney, I dont think there is any question that its not reasonable to think we can compete with top tier programs in recruiting But would be very upset to hear him say he didnt exspect greatness from his team.

I think that under the right circumstances Iowa can compete with anybody. I really don't care if they could all the time, but under ferentz the Iowa program, when he hired his kid, became pretty irrelevant to me. To think he did all the coaching changes to promote Iowa football is pretty absurd. I can understand why he would want to promote his family over other things, but I don't really have to be a fan of it.

As a rule I dont care for hiring family. However it does seem to work farly well in some Collage coaching situations. Do you not think Brian is a good coach. He hasnt been here long enough for me to have a opinion on that yet. But I do think he was well thought of in the Pros
I think that under the right circumstances Iowa can compete with anybody. I really don't care if they could all the time, but under ferentz the Iowa program, when he hired his kid, became pretty irrelevant to me. To think he did all the coaching changes to promote Iowa football is pretty absurd. I can understand why he would want to promote his family over other things, but I don't really have to be a fan of it.