Fran Talks About Job Security

The reporter who asked the question certainly felt like the response was testy. He was taken back you could tell in his voice “why shouldn’t I be asking about it?”
I’m married. That’s how wives respond if you reply in monotone or with “a little tone” in your voice. Really, just about any response. :D

I didn't think it was testy either. I've seen a lot of testy Fran. He didn't like the question, but he answered it. In his opinion he doesn't think it should be asked. He plans to evaluate the program and its his job to change things.

That's his opinion - don't agree with it, but I have no issue with the professionalism of his response.

The "Because I said so" and other BS he's pulled - those have been an issue.
He's going to evaluate everything. That's what you're supposed to do after a poor season. The problem is that he can't or won't do anything about the 2 major problems that caused this season.
1) His lack of coaching defense. He's not going to change how he coaches. Way too late at his age.
2) The roster full of 1st and 2nd year players that he recruited. He's not going to Crean half of his roster.

Or I actually take pride in my job and doing well and getting better. Sure I could go Peter Gibbons and be fine for a while, but who does that help?
That’s kinda the point. Frans answer was not the answer of someone who wants to get better. It was the answer of someone whose boss tells him that all he has to do is show up and you get a 20 million dollar participation ribbon and how dare anyone question that.

I would have liked to see an answer like “I feel pressure every game because I want to win every game. This season hasn’t gone that way so it is on me to evaluate and get better in all aspects. Gary or my contract don’t change the disappointments this year and it is unacceptable to me and we will get better.”

Your original post said you feel pressure at your job every day. That didn't sound like it meant you put pressure on yourself because of pride. It sounded like you meant you would get fired if you did bad reguardless of how the last year went.

My response meant I've built up plenty of good will to withstand some down time. That didn't mean I'm gunna go ahead and have some down time on purpose. I take pride in my work too. That's how I've built up the good will.

Although my post was really just a fake brag about how bad ass I am at my job.

That 46/47 second mark was GOLDEN, you can tell being told he's in last place was like a knife to the heart. I heard a little remorse in his voice over what's happened this year.

Fran screwed up and he's knows it.

This is what struck me.

"But it also relates to strength and conditioning. Do we need to get stronger? Do we need to lose weight? We we need to do plyometrics, do we need to do more speed and agility work? Those things will be with consultation from our strength and conditioning people. So when they leave that meeting, they’ll say, okay, now I have a clear and concise view of where we’re going from here. We can look back, but we’ve got to look forward too."

I'm going out on a limb that every one of these meetings better be (except Cook)...you need to get stronger, you need to work on speed and agility...and you need to work on being aggressive defensively. Cook needs to improve defensively...but with him it's focus and intensity. He actually guarded the rim more this year...and used the athleticism but he seems to lose focus during the possessions and therefore is a step slower that he should be. He should be a monster at blocking shots...he's getting better...but he's got upside there. Offensively...I loved the progress with Cook...he's a handful down low and is physical as hell. He gets automatic from 15-18 feet and he's going to be scary.

I took the word testy out of the thread title. Good grief.

If you saw this face in that video and he screamed "SILENCE, FOOL!!" Then you could have used the word "testy" in the title thread.......

fran.jpg

Last edited:
Your original post said you feel pressure at your job every day. That didn't sound like it meant you put pressure on yourself because of pride. It sounded like you meant you would get fired if you did bad reguardless of how the last year went.

My response meant I've built up plenty of good will to withstand some down time. That didn't mean I'm gunna go ahead and have some down time on purpose. I take pride in my work too. That's how I've built up the good will.

Although my post was really just a fake brag about how bad ass I am at my job.
You took it how you wanted to take it. Fran has no drive to do better. He’ll say it, but it isn’t there because he can coast like you and still get paid.

So he has to raise his voice to be mad?

When I watched that I instantly thought, wow Fran is hot.

I thought he looked defensive and insulted the question was even asked. Obviously, he does not have to fear for his job right now with Gary's extension. But, I think he knows he is wearing out his welcome with the fans. Money is the main thing holding this thing together right now along with Fran having some recent NCAA appearances in the past 4-5 years. I got to think Fran knows the heat is out there and he does not like it, but he is going to be able to hold it off for now.

Just making a guess, but I think money is the probably the main thing keeping Fran going in the morning. Personally, I think this is a guy that wished he was somewhere else, but is not going to turn down 10 million dollars.

Last edited:
I thought he looked defensive and insulted the question was even asked. Obviously, he does not have to fear for his job right now with Gary's extension. But, I think he knows he is wearing out his welcome with the fans. Money is the main thing holding this thing together right now along with Fran having some recent NCAA appearances in the past 4-5 years. I got think Fran knows the heat is out there and he does not like it, but he is going to be able to hold it off for now.

Just making a guess, but a think money is the probably the main thing keeping Fran going in the morning. Personally, I think this is a guy that wished he was somewhere else, but is not going to turn down 10 million dollars.
But, he had all those other schools that wanted him....

But, he had all those other schools that wanted him....
Ya.....I don't what to make of that. Is that BS talk out of Gary, or is there some truth to it? Maybe there was some truth 3 years ago, but I'm guessing it would have been a lateral move.

I can't see top flight programs beating down his door to hire a guy that has poorly coached and incomplete teams.

Iowa...the place where mediocre coaches go to get set for life...

"Coach, have you considered hiring a coach or two who can coach your team on defense? Your ghetto ball system (with slow white players) doesn't seem to be working, unless last place was the goal...can you elaborate?"

Lots of programs were after him...

Our goal is academics...

Rebuilding year...

We were in a few of those games that we ended up losing by 20+

If feel positive about the future of the program...

My health hasn't been good...

I misplaced the e-mail I sent to coach with the contract boost...now I found it...

The press has weaponized the contract issue...

Coach Jeff Fisher deserves this contract boost...oops, I mean Coach Fran...

You took it how you wanted to take it. Fran has no drive to do better. He’ll say it, but it isn’t there because he can coast like you and still get paid.

You meant it the way I took it. I'm sure of that. I can coast if I want to tho. But I won't. Just like Fran won't. Because the same drive that got me in the position to be able to coast will prevent me from wanting to. You don't think coaches care about the big picture, like legacy?

Also some jobs give you the ability to coast if you get enough good will. Big time coaching isn't one of them.Most regular folk have jobs you can coast if you excel long enough. Sounds like You don't have one because you feel pressure every day.

What that clip shows me is the reporter’s difficulty in framing not even that rough of a question to ask of a struggling Iowa coach. And I’m sorry if that reporter was you, Rob.

This is Exhibit A in what many of us view as the Iowa sports media’s fear of treating the coaches (and AD) with anything but kid gloves.

In a larger market the questions would be a lot harsher.

Ban me now if you want.
Agree, the question was not combative like it might be in a market with a fan base that has high expectations.

Scott Dochterman = ONIONS!!!
Not really, this is called... doing your JOB.

He asked the question, what more should have he had done? I am not saying your wrong, I am just curious what he missed saying in your opinion.

I also don't think this was even testy from Fran, he answered the question with his opinion on it. He didn't raise his voice either.
Sorry, I feel like Fran was testy. In Rob's video he looks to be on the verge of shaking frankly and the "No, it has to do with body of work" is super defensive. "You shouldn't be bringing it up" is both testy and bullshit, he absolutely should be bringing it up. Finally, "Maybe you should look at that" comes across as incredibly low EQ in my opinion. His body language is like a cat with its back hair up. He is PISSED.