Fran Talks About Job Security

If it was an out of bounds question, than that response is warranted. But that wasn’t an out of bounds question, not even close, therefore it was a testy response.
We have different definitions of testy.

I don’t consider someone not speaking in monotone to be testy if they’re answering any more than having inflection in your voice is confrontational.

I’ve been in job reviews that were testy. I read 50 posts on here a day that are testy/confrontational . This Q&A ain’t it.

I don’t consider someone not speaking in monotone to be testy if they’re answering any more than having inflection in your voice is confrontational.

I’ve been in job reviews that were testy. I read 50 posts on here a day that are testy/confrontational . This Q&A ain’t it.

I didn't think it was testy either. I've seen a lot of testy Fran. He didn't like the question, but he answered it. In his opinion he doesn't think it should be asked. He plans to evaluate the program and its his job to change things.

That's his opinion - don't agree with it, but I have no issue with the professionalism of his response.

The "Because I said so" and other BS he's pulled - those have been an issue.

I kind of have a problem with the way Fran answered it. He should have said he wasn't happy with the way the year has gone, player injuries and illnesses hurt us, and we just haven't gotten it done. With that said, I don't fear for my job because I think we are doing the right things, have the right players, and we will get the job done. We just have to face the adversity and overcome it.

In other words...he should have just lied.

And sport writer shouldn't have to be apologetic asking a tough question for a guy making millions. That's why I have a problem with Fran's response. God, Docherman sounded like he was regretting the whole episode while it was happening but he opened the box so he had to keep going.

Iowa...i've often felt no one in the Iowa media has enough nads to take our coaches on when they should...and hold them accountable. Nebraska's media was pretty brutal to their football coaches this year as they should have been.

I didn't think it was testy either. I've seen a lot of testy Fran. He didn't like the question, but he answered it. In his opinion he doesn't think it should be asked. He plans to evaluate the program and its his job to change things.

That's his opinion - don't agree with it, but I have no issue with the professionalism of his response.

The "Because I said so" and other BS he's pulled - those have been an issue.
I don’t know boys, I have zero idea how you can watch that and say it’s not testy.

“You shouldn’t even be bringing it up... or anyone else.”

He asked the question, what more should have he had done? I am not saying your wrong, I am just curious what he missed saying in your opinion.

I also don't think this was even testy from Fran, he answered the question with his opinion on it. He didn't raise his voice either.

I think he meant you could tell he was a bit nervous to ask and therefore had troubling forming the question so as not to offend or upset Fran.

I don’t know boys, I have zero idea how you can watch that and say it’s not testy.

“You shouldn’t even be bringing it up... or anyone else.”

I don't agree with the answer ... at all.... I just didn't feel that he was testy in the response? If that makes sense. Like, he wasn't upset, he just answered the question. Had he raised his voice or went on about it, or barked at the next reporter, that would be testy. Either way, it was bad answer.

Jesus you must have a really high pressure job. I've built up so much good will by being awesome at my job for so long that I could coast for months before anyone would care.
Or I actually take pride in my job and doing well and getting better. Sure I could go Peter Gibbons and be fine for a while, but who does that help?
That’s kinda the point. Frans answer was not the answer of someone who wants to get better. It was the answer of someone whose boss tells him that all he has to do is show up and you get a 20 million dollar participation ribbon and how dare anyone question that.

I would have liked to see an answer like “I feel pressure every game because I want to win every game. This season hasn’t gone that way so it is on me to evaluate and get better in all aspects. Gary or my contract don’t change the disappointments this year and it is unacceptable to me and we will get better.”

Last edited:
Sherm is a great dresser and a really nice guy, but I kinda get a feeling he's not even a coach. I think he was brought on for recruiting.

Is he even good at recruiting? I seem to notice Francis' name on most recruiting stuff, but I don't pay too much attention to it. To be honest I don't even know what Fran's assistant coaches do.

I don't agree with the answer ... at all.... I just didn't feel that he was testy in the response? If that makes sense. Like, he wasn't upset, he just answered the question. Had he raised his voice or went on about it, or barked at the next reporter, that would be testy. Either way, it was bad answer.
So he has to raise his voice to be mad?

When I watched that I instantly thought, wow Fran is hot.

After watching the full version, Fran sounded 100% pleased with Cook and Bohannon this season. Meanwhile I'm sitting here thinking those two are huge reasons our defense and rebounding were so bad.

After watching the full version, Fran sounded 100% pleased with Cook and Bohannon this season. Meanwhile I'm sitting here thinking those two are huge reasons our defense and rebounding were so bad.
I think he takes power naps during defensive possessions.