Fran Talks About Job Security

What irks me is that I have heard both Kirk and Fran say to the media, don't attack our players, question us,we're the adults and we get paid for our jobs. However, I have noticed that neither one of these guys can take being called out. They have a "don't you dare challenge or question us" mentality. Neither one can take being called out or questioned. Alford was the exact same way.

I think the main thing is that the truth hurts. When you get called out for sucking, and you know you sucked, it hurts and the natural response is to get testy. (Or maybe not testy but something close to testy)

What irks me is that I have heard both Kirk and Fran say to the media, don't attack our players, question us,we're the adults and we get paid for our jobs. However, I have noticed that neither one of these guys can take being called out. They have a "don't you dare challenge or question us" mentality. Neither one can take being called out or questioned. Alford was the exact same way.

I'll always back a coach that says "don't take it out on the players, these are college kids..ask me the tough questions". But yeah, the pompous "how dare you criticize ME". thing wears really fast. Fran may end up going the same way as Alford if he keeps this up. He's made bank, he could go back to coaching a Davidson or Lehigh and be just fine.

Come on, Fran. It's a fair question given your team is in last place and program is trending in the wrong direction these days. You don't have to like it, but the "don't question me" attitude isn't going to endear him to anyone.

If he thinks his body of work is good enough, then fine - but don't act like the question is out of bounds, because it's not. How many programs in a major program would tolerate a season like this, this far into a coach's tenure? Or where it wouldn't at least put a coach on the hot seat?

Here's the Q&A in written form:

View attachment 3149
Although head coaches have huge egos, there comes a time when a little humility can go a long way: For example, he could have answered the question the following way:

Based on my body of work, I don't feel heat - but nobody including the team and the staff are happy with how the season unfolded. We still have a conference game left and the BTT. We are going to do everything we can to win the last game and advance in the tournament. I recognize that at the end of this season, I must evaluate the results of this season and determine what the coaches and players can do to make significant improvement. Next question.

Although head coaches have huge egos, there comes a time when a little humility can go a long way: For example, he could have answered the question the following way:

Based on my body of work, I don't feel heat - but nobody including the team and the staff are happy with how the season unfolded. We still have a conference game left and the BTT. We are going to do everything we can to win the last game and advance in the tournament. I recognize that at the end of this season, I must evaluate the results of this season and determine what the coaches and players can do to make significant improvement. Next question.
As long as he's got Gutless Gary for his boss, he doesn't have to worry about what he says.

lBYwEDm.gif

Its probably a good sign and guage he got a little testy. To his credit he still cares and has passion. Now if he didnt get a bit testy, could show hes packed it in and just collecting his check. Then fans would be blasting him for not caring.

Give him credit for getting testy still.

Its probably a good sign and guage he got a little testy. To his credit he still cares and has passion. Now if he didnt get a bit testy, could show hes packed it in and just collecting his check. Then fans would be blasting him for not caring.

Give him credit for getting testy still.

But did he really get testy? :)

Come on, Fran. It's a fair question given your team is in last place and program is trending in the wrong direction these days. You don't have to like it, but the "don't question me" attitude isn't going to endear him to anyone.

If he thinks his body of work is good enough, then fine - but don't act like the question is out of bounds, because it's not. How many programs in a major program would tolerate a season like this, this far into a coach's tenure? Or where it wouldn't at least put a coach on the hot seat?
Once again Gary barta failed the University, the fan base and his duty the way he handled Fran’s new deal. He knew he would get questioned and probably was told the media have it now better do something. Fran you know you’re in last place but you do nothing inventive to try and end it.

Body of work is a joke right?! Because his body of work here has just been so so. It certainly wasn’t deserving of a $9M buyout. And I’m sorry you don’t get paid a slave wage Fran. You get paid handsomely to win some freaking ball games so you’ll excuse Dochterman for asking the question WE all want to.

Once again Gary barta failed the University, the fan base and his duty the way he handled Fran’s new deal. He knew he would get questioned and probably was told the media have it now better do something. Fran you know you’re in last place but you do nothing inventive to try and end it.
Talk about Garys worst nightmare playing out. He was hoping Iowa would have had another middle of the pack season. Status quo so nobody would look into the contract status of Fran and he could announce it on his terms after the year. Instead the bottom fell out and instead of cutting things off at the pass and announcing it he waited till there was a FOI act request. And even then didn't just announce it he waited till whatever amount of time it was that went by between that being requested was given to the reporter for him to go about reporting it. He could have gotten out in front of it if not a little bit at a couple of different times and didn't. That's just idiocy. It's pretty much as dumb as giving him the deal to begin with was. Now he's married to a coach he can't touch for the foreseeable future regardless of how bottomed out he might take the program.

While I've got serious doubts about Fran after this season.. y'all make me laugh.

For one the fallacy of "Big city media is tougher on asking questions" - that is a big bunch of horseshit.

I guess you guys missed the softball questions that belecheat endures.

Also, Fran responded in a way that a lot of people would have responded. When you are having a shitty year and then someone brings that question at you - ALOT of coaches we respond the same way or worse.

It's really not that big of a deal... the real issue is if there is any future in this group of players.

While I've got serious doubts about Fran after this season.. y'all make me laugh.

For one the fallacy of "Big city media is tougher on asking questions" - that is a big bunch of horseshit.

I guess you guys missed the softball questions that belecheat endures.

Also, Fran responded in a way that a lot of people would have responded. When you are having a shitty year and then someone brings that question at you - ALOT of coaches we respond the same way or worse.

It's really not that big of a deal... the real issue is if there is any future in this group of players.
LOL. You mean the 5X SuperBowl Champion Bill Belichick? Yeah....cause there's a guy that needs to be asked "the tough questions". WTF?