Fran Says Moss Wants Expanded Role

Maybe it is not about minutes, but seeing Eric Musselman as a better conduit to the NBA.
He better be a hell of a lot better conduit. Like go down in history as the greatest coach ever if he's gonna turn Moss into an NBA player in one year.

It will be interesting to see how he plays next year. He knows he only has one more year to impress the NBA or overseas people.

I understood what you were saying. I just don't see a guy uprooting his life because he's scared of a mid level recruit stealing a starting spot moving him to the bench. I think it's more likely he's upset about Connor closing games or the guy he sees in practice outplaying him.

replace connor with JT full time at pg and you've got JBo at sg. that's the same as end of games with connor. he say JBo had already beaten him out at sg at end of games. where was he going to be once the reins are handed to JT full time? so, i guess we're saying the same thing, but to my way of thinking it does equal a concern of a TR FR uprooting him because that's causing JBo to move to push Moss out.

In your theory it actually seems that Connor would be the percipitus for moving Jbo. If Fran thinks Connor can start and run the point then he might as well move his best shooter to SG. Unless you think that JT is going to immediately beat out Connor for starting PG?

i think we could see JBo starting at pg to start the season, or even connor. but, depending on how well JT picks things up, he could step in at pg quickly. so, does moss want to be a starter for maybe the non con schedule and then come off the bench in his last season where he needs as much exposure as he can get? again, just my speculation, but if JT is your pg of the future, then give him the keys as soon as possible.

He better be a hell of a lot better conduit. Like go down in history as the greatest coach ever if he's gonna turn Moss into an NBA player in one year.

Not a comment on Musselman turning Moss into an NBA player, but Nevada started 5 transfers last year. Interesting comment on where he learned about that methodology.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...t-16-ncaa-tournament-eric-musselman-transfers

Musselman studied how Fred Hoiberg successfully integrated transfers during his time at Iowa State, and at a non-Power 5 program coming off three consecutive sub-.500 seasons under previous head coach David Carter, a similar approach made sense. “I just think that, with the transfers—that was a way for us to get good as quick as we could,” Musselman said.

i think we could see JBo starting at pg to start the season, or even connor. but, depending on how well JT picks things up, he could step in at pg quickly. so, does moss want to be a starter for maybe the non con schedule and then come off the bench in his last season where he needs as much exposure as he can get? again, just my speculation, but if JT is your pg of the future, then give him the keys as soon as possible.

You are not the only one hoping that JT is awesome and is the PG of our dreams, but I find it silly to think he plays 1 minute over Connor.

I know Fran isn't a defense guy, but starting a freshman at point guard who isn't that tall, next to JBo who isn't a good defender, would put a LOT of pressure on the bigs to help. I think Conner starts if JBo is at the 2 because you'll need some length on the perimeter.

you could be right. i'm only speculating. but i would also guess that JT will be quicker and faster than connor. if JT can keep opposing pg's from getting into the lane, that will be a tremendous help for our bigs.

You are not the only one hoping that JT is awesome and is the PG of our dreams, but I find it silly to think he plays 1 minute over Connor.

it could also be silly to think connor is playing basketball after next season, also. it could also be silly to think a kid from NYC comes to iowa to play pg without at least believing that the coaches son, also a pg, isn't penciled in as the starter and backup minutes are the best he'll get at iowa.

it could also be silly to think connor is playing basketball after next season, also. it could also be silly to think a kid from NYC comes to iowa to play pg without at least believing that the coaches son, also a pg, isn't penciled in as the starter and backup minutes are the best he'll get at iowa.

Last I heard Connor isn't having a great baseball season? Has that changed? If not, I assume he will play 2 sports his whole time at Iowa ,then be done playing like most other college athletes.

Connor will be playing basketball. There is no other plan no matter how many posters on this board speculate otherwise. If anything he will give up baseball. Connor wants to be a coach like his papa.

Also I doubt JT will be worried about playing time at all. He will get immediate back up minutes this season. If he is good enough, Fran will simply move Connor to SG next year. If CJF is legit then it could get a little awkward, but what is the likelihood that all 3 are worth starting minutes?

I think Iowa could be better next year. The opposing teams didn't seem to have a hard time figuring out how to play a lot of the Iowa starters last year. Fredrick and Nunge both seem to be more versatile than last years starters offensively. Garza, and Pemsl should be ready to go physically this year. Iowa has a lot of new players, but only two of them are true freshmen. It wouldn't surprise me if McCaffery redshirts, and Toussaint was co player of the year in New York. They should be a lot tougher on defenses next year.

Connor will be playing basketball. There is no other plan no matter how many posters on this board speculate otherwise. If anything he will give up baseball. Connor wants to be a coach like his papa.

Also I doubt JT will be worried about playing time at all. He will get immediate back up minutes this season. If he is good enough, Fran will simply move Connor to SG next year. If CJF is legit then it could get a little awkward, but what is the likelihood that all 3 are worth starting minutes?

I think it's pretty darn likely all 3 average 15-20 minutes.
McCaffery on CJF in response to who would take Moss's roll next season:
“He’s complete. He can play the point, he can play the 2, he can come off screens, he can shoot 3s. He’s quick, and he’s a really good athlete. He can guard. He can get to the rim and finish. He can score in a bundle. He gives it up easy. Those guys are hard to find, guys that can really score."

Connor averaged almost 20 minutes last year and I don't see that going anywhere but up. Especially if he gets his 3 point shooting up to a level of competence where it has to be somewhat respected. And I do think he'll shoot 30-35% next season after getting his bearings based on his 32-35-37-41% progression in high school (more impressive considering he did it on increased shot volumes too 44-82-124-139). Forget what his name is, a guy who can improve like that year to year in high school has the ability/work ethic to do it in college too.

Toussaint is supposed to be our savior at point, and his highlights do look darn good. Fast, sudden, under control, drives with a purpose and finishes well. He's the first question mark though. You almost never know what to expect when a guy gets to college. But if he can translate his handles, vision, and toughness into our system, I'd have a hard time believing he'll play less than 10-15 minutes per game (Clemmons averaged 16 as a freshman).

So that's 20 minutes to CJF, 20 minutes to Connor, and 15 minutes to Toussaint. That leaves Bohannon at 25-30 minutes per game, which feels about right. You can run him full tilt when he's out there and likely shake him free more often with 3 guys that are all considered solid ball handlers/creators.

“He’s complete. He can play the point, he can play the 2, he can come off screens, he can shoot 3s. He’s quick, and he’s a really good athlete. He can guard. He can get to the rim and finish. He can score in a bundle. He gives it up easy. Those guys are hard to find, guys that can really score."

Connor averaged almost 20 minutes last year and I don't see that going anywhere but up. Especially if he gets his 3 point shooting up to a level of competence where it has to be somewhat respected. And I do think he'll shoot 30-35% next season after getting his bearings based on his 32-35-37-41% progression in high school (more impressive considering he did it on increased shot volumes too 44-82-124-139). Forget what his name is, a guy who can improve like that year to year in high school has the ability/work ethic to do it in college too.

Toussaint is supposed to be our savior at point, and his highlights do look darn good. Fast, sudden, under control, drives with a purpose and finishes well. He's the first question mark though. You almost never know what to expect when a guy gets to college. But if he can translate his handles, vision, and toughness into our system, I'd have a hard time believing he'll play less than 10-15 minutes per game (Clemmons averaged 16 as a freshman).

So that's 20 minutes to CJF, 20 minutes to Connor, and 15 minutes to Toussaint. That leaves Bohannon at 25-30 minutes per game, which feels about right. You can run him full tilt when he's out there and likely shake him free more often with 3 guys that are all considered solid ball handlers/creators.

The thought process here I believe is correct, my hang up is that you say only JT is a ? mark. I reality I believe all 3 of the mentioned players are question marks. We saw Connor play 1 season and not particularly well. We haven't seen a damn thing from CJF or JT. I certainly am not going to take Fran's word on any players ability. We still need to see these guys perform on the B1G stage before any questions are answered.

The thought process here I believe is correct, my hang up is that you say only JT is a ? mark. I reality I believe all 3 of the mentioned players are question marks. We saw Connor play 1 season and not particularly well. We haven't seen a damn thing from CJF or JT. I certainly am not going to take Fran's word on any players ability. We still need to see these guys perform on the B1G stage before any questions are answered.

That's probably fair as Fran is exceptionally prone to hyperbole. The assumptions here are that Moss saw the writing on the wall to make his decision. In order to see the writing, I'm imagining that CJF is the real deal and at least looked like a practice all-american. Remember when Fran told us all about Baer and no one noticed? Occasionally he's right. And I'll take my chances with a Gatorade POTY whose uncle shot 50% from 3 for several NCAA Notre Dame teams more so than a walk-on who attempted exactly one 3 pointer in high school.

Connor is theoretically more of a known quantity, and not in a good way. But for the reasons stated in my last post, I think he has a chance to make big improvements in the off-season.

maybe you saw something i didn't, but connor isn't a sg. if cjf is not legit, at least from a shooting and foot speed perspective, then we're screwed unless fran can find a step in starter at sg for '20. connor is a good pg at iowa because he has eaten and slept his dad's offense/defense philosophies his entire life. he's a good ball handler and passer. he has a way of working his way into the lane, but he certainly cannot be relied upon to win off the dribble. all of that adds up to me as a good backup up B1G pg. but not a starter. connor has provided no evidence of being a consistent jump shooter from deep or mid-range. that doesn't add up to a sg.

That's probably fair as Fran is exceptionally prone to hyperbole. The assumptions here are that Moss saw the writing on the wall to make his decision. In order to see the writing, I'm imagining that CJF is the real deal and at least looked like a practice all-american. Remember when Fran told us all about Baer and no one noticed? Occasionally he's right. And I'll take my chances with a Gatorade POTY whose uncle shot 50% from 3 for several NCAA Notre Dame teams more so than a walk-on who attempted exactly one 3 pointer in high school.

Connor is theoretically more of a known quantity, and not in a good way. But for the reasons stated in my last post, I think he has a chance to make big improvements in the off-season.

I do think Connor will improve. I just don't think it will be enough to quite his naysayers.

I also give the benefit of the doubt to CJF. I assume he is ready to start contributing to the team or Fran would have fought for Moss. I don't however fully buy into the idea that Moss thought he was going to get beat out by CJ. I think Moss saw the move of Jbo to SG.

maybe you saw something i didn't, but connor isn't a sg. if cjf is not legit, at least from a shooting and foot speed perspective, then we're screwed unless fran can find a step in starter at sg for '20. connor is a good pg at iowa because he has eaten and slept his dad's offense/defense philosophies his entire life. he's a good ball handler and passer. he has a way of working his way into the lane, but he certainly cannot be relied upon to win off the dribble. all of that adds up to me as a good backup up B1G pg. but not a starter. connor has provided no evidence of being a consistent jump shooter from deep or mid-range. that doesn't add up to a sg.

I didn't say it would be a good move lol. I suppose if we got an major upgrade at PG out of it though it could suffice.

If you watch the Fredrick tape, he looks like a guy with the right mentality to be a star. There are some guys with the talent, but don't seem to have the right personality. Fredrick should be fun to watch next year.