Fran Says Moss Wants Expanded Role

Its hard to believe when Moss and McCaffery sat down and talked about the future playing time wouldn't of been a consideration. Next year is the last year for Moss and then there is the possibility of money to be made. Fredrick looks pretty good in the tapes I've seen. He has a quick release and is pretty athletic. Fran is going to give his son minutes.

There’s a difference between talking about minutes/playing time and roles, and suggesting that Moss wanted guarantees. Windsor also is suggesting Moss wanted guarantees.

Where are you guys pulling this charge from? Do you have inside information?

Just saying, here was Moss in HS.

That looked pretty good too. But we've already seen what he is done in college. If I knew 100% CJ wouldn't follow that same route, it wouldn't be much of a prediction. Also the video I saw was of just the state tournament. Lots of good plays from a handful of games on the biggest stage. To win the MVP on top of that is pretty impressive too. And it's not like I'm guaranteeing anything, it's just a prediction.

That looked pretty good too. But we've already seen what he is done in college. If I knew 100% CJ wouldn't follow that same route, it wouldn't be much of a prediction. Also the video I saw was of just the state tournament. Lots of good plays from a handful of games on the biggest stage. To win the MVP on top of that is pretty impressive too. And it's not like I'm guaranteeing anything, it's just a prediction.

I know. I'm not trying to blast you or anything. Without ever seeing CJ suit up for D1 play though it's a limb prediction. Personally I don't mind people going out on limbs with things they think or feel good about. I think CJ does have a particular set of skills. Those skills might even lend themselves better to the McCaffery offense then say a set of freestyle moves for getting to and finishing around the hoop. It could end up that CJ is a better complement to Iowa's play than was Moss, but as of this moment in time the prediction of such is a definite branch shooting outwards from the trunk.

Considering how many minutes Connor got last year, Fredricks coming in this year, and Toussaint coming in at point guard that was a concern of his. There were a lot of times Moss sat at the end of games last year when he should of been playing. Its reasonable to think the guy wants to make some money after he graduates, and he will probably have a better opportunity somewhere else at least in his own mind.

with JT coming in, you now have JT and CM at pg and it allows you to move JBo to sg. If JBo moves to sg and you still have JW at sf, where do you find minutes for moss? do you keep JBo at pg at the cost of your future pg not getting minutes, so that you can give a 5th year SR the minutes he wants? this looks to me like fran has made a decision to slide JBo to sg to free up minutes for JT. simply moss reading the writing on the wall.

with JT coming in, you now have JT and CM at pg and it allows you to move JBo to sg. If JBo moves to sg and you still have JW at sf, where do you find minutes for moss? do you keep JBo at pg at the cost of your future pg not getting minutes, so that you can give a 5th year SR the minutes he wants? this looks to me like fran has made a decision to slide JBo to sg to free up minutes for JT. simply moss reading the writing on the wall.

Yes this is the most likely thing that could have caused him to be concerned about PT. However we have no proven back ups for the 2 or 3 with Moss leaving. If Moss had stayed he most likely would have lost the starting role, but subbing the 2 and 3 would have likely averaged out to relatively similar minutes.

I dont think it's likely Moss would leave because of an incoming freshman point guard. It's possible, but Moss doesn't have much to go by with how good Joe T is. He does practice against CJ every day tho so maybe it's clear to everyone who the better player is.

There’s a difference between talking about minutes/playing time and roles, and suggesting that Moss wanted guarantees. Windsor also is suggesting Moss wanted guarantees.

Where are you guys pulling this charge from? Do you have inside information?
I clearly stated my scenario was hypothetical. I have zero insider information. I apologize to anyone on HN that thought I had inside knowledge on the Moss situation based on my post.

Last edited:
I clearly stated my scenario was hypothetical. I have zero insider information. I apologize to anyone on HN that thought I had inside knowledge on the Moss situation based on my post.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not read it that Moss asking for a guarantee was a hypothetical.

I dont think it's likely Moss would leave because of an incoming freshman point guard. It's possible, but Moss doesn't have much to go by with how good Joe T is. He does practice against CJ every day tho so maybe it's clear to everyone who the better player is.

In the eyes of the coach and a poster.

In your previous post above.....did I miss the sarcasm?

Ok now I see what went wrong. When I said "maybe it's clear to everyone who the better player is" all that means is if Moss left for fear of playing time from a new player, it's more likely to be CJ because they play against each other in practice all the time. I wasn't saying I think he is better. But if he is, Moss sees it in practice. This is what I HOPE the reason is because it's the best situation for the team. Way better than him leaving because Connor is stealing his minutes, because we have seen what Connor brings to the table. If Moss knows CJ is going to take minutes so he left, that's a good thing for the team.

Ok now I see what went wrong. When I said "maybe it's clear to everyone who the better player is" all that means is if Moss left for fear of playing time from a new player, it's more likely to be CJ because they play against each other in practice all the time. I wasn't saying I think he is better. But if he is, Moss sees it in practice. This is what I HOPE the reason is because it's the best situation for the team. Way better than him leaving because Connor is stealing his minutes, because we have seen what Connor brings to the table. If Moss knows CJ is going to take minutes so he left, that's a good thing for the team.

Thx for clarifying

PC, my suggestion is actually that Moss sees JBo moving to his position. so, JT is what is precipitating JBo to sg. Moss leaving (suggestion) is JBo moving to sg. CJF is irrelevant; but Moss doesn't want to back up either JBo or JW. he has one last chance to show his talents and for that he needs maximum minutes and exposure.

Yes this is the most likely thing that could have caused him to be concerned about PT. However we have no proven back ups for the 2 or 3 with Moss leaving. If Moss had stayed he most likely would have lost the starting role, but subbing the 2 and 3 would have likely averaged out to relatively similar minutes.

you could be right. but both JBo and JW will be 30 minute + a game players, barring foul trouble. at least they would be if i was coach. in my speculation, Moss is looking at less than 20 minutes a game on avg.

you could be right. but both JBo and JW will be 30 minute + a game players, barring foul trouble. at least they would be if i was coach. in my speculation, Moss is looking at less than 20 minutes a game on avg.

10 minutes sub for the 2. 10 minutes sub for the 3. That makes a clean 20. It's not likely he would have gotten every sub minute available, but I would think he would have been pretty close.

PC, my suggestion is actually that Moss sees JBo moving to his position. so, JT is what is precipitating JBo to sg. Moss leaving (suggestion) is JBo moving to sg. CJF is irrelevant; but Moss doesn't want to back up either JBo or JW. he has one last chance to show his talents and for that he needs maximum minutes and exposure.

In your theory it actually seems that Connor would be the percipitus for moving Jbo. If Fran thinks Connor can start and run the point then he might as well move his best shooter to SG. Unless you think that JT is going to immediately beat out Connor for starting PG?

I understood what you were saying. I just don't see a guy uprooting his life because he's scared of a mid level recruit stealing a starting spot moving him to the bench. I think it's more likely he's upset about Connor closing games or the guy he sees in practice outplaying him.

Maybe it is not about minutes, but seeing Eric Musselman as a better conduit to the NBA.