Fran Says Moss Wants Expanded Role

If you watch the Fredrick tape, he looks like a guy with the right mentality to be a star. There are some guys with the talent, but don't seem to have the right personality. Fredrick should be fun to watch next year.

I would agree the kid is a gamer. Hopefully our roster has been good enough to prep him for the college speed, but I think he gets a season of light duty. 13 minutes average is my prediction.

I would agree the kid is a gamer. Hopefully our roster has been good enough to prep him for the college speed, but I think he gets a season of light duty. 13 minutes average is my prediction.

If he only gets 13 minutes per game next year it means he's not very good at all.

If he only gets 13 minutes per game next year it means he's not very good at all.

Our it would mean that he is an inexperienced youngster with better more experienced players ahead of him.

How many minutes are you projecting for a back up SG/SF? Moss and Dailey sure didn't think there were many minutes to go around.

That is too low. Those are the kinds of numbers I'd expect if Moss were back next season. I think Fran gives him some leash to play 20-25 minutes early this season and get his bearings. If he really tanks, then you'd be right. But there are 80 minutes to go between Bohannon, Toussaint, Connor, and CJF. Zero chance Bohannon plays more than 32 minutes per game the way Fran runs with this team (I think the last guy to average over that was Matt Gatens, not White, not Uthoff, not Jok, not Gesell). That Leaves 48 for the other 3. I highly doubt we'll see Connor for more than 20 minutes. That would leave, at a minimum, 28 minutes to split between Toussaint and CJF. So your assumption would mean that Toussaint is getting 20 minutes a game at point as a true freshman, relegating Connor to an unnatural position at shooting guard, and over CJF who's been in the program for a year and is playing a position of need. The only way I see CJF getting less than 20 minutes per game is if 1. he really sucks, or 2. Wieskamp gets a lot of minutes at SG. The second only comes into play if Patrick has a significant role this year and plays exclusively at the 3. Idk how likely that is or what the chances are that he redshirts.

Last edited:
Our it would mean that he is an inexperienced youngster with better more experienced players ahead of him.

How many minutes are you projecting for a back up SG/SF? Moss and Dailey sure didn't think there were many minutes to go around.

What more experienced players? There are only 2 guards with more experience and one of them had a pretty rough season. If CJ only deserves 13 minutes next year, we are in really bad shape. Like someone else said tho, it's possible Joe T is really good and gets high 20s or Patrick is really good and moves Wieskamp to the 2. We basically have 3 complete unknowns and one of them has to be good enough to get close to 20 per game. CJ has the most experience of those 3.

That is too low. Those are the kinds of numbers I'd expect if Moss were back next season. I think Fran gives him some leash to play 20-25 minutes early this season and get his bearings. If he really tanks, then you'd be right. But there are 80 minutes to go between Bohannon, Toussaint, Connor, and CJF. Zero chance Bohannon plays more than 32 minutes per game the way Fran runs with this team (I think the last guy to average over that was Matt Gatens, not White, not Uthoff, not Jok, not Gesell). That Leaves 58 for the other 3. I highly doubt we'll see Connor for more than 25 minutes. That would leave, at a minimum, 33 minutes to split between Toussaint and CJF. So your assumption would mean that Toussaint is getting 20 minutes a game at point as a true freshman, relegating Connor to an unnatural position at shooting guard, and over CJF who's been in the program for a year and is playing a position of need. The only way I see CJF getting less than 20 minutes per game is if 1. he really sucks, or 2. Wieskamp gets a lot of minutes at SG. The second only comes into play if Patrick has a significant role this year and plays exclusively at the 3. Idk how likely that is or what the chances are that he redshirts.

Patrick will be playing this year is my bet. He will likely back up Weiskamp for about 10 to 15 minutes a game. If this happens like I expect then that leaves CJF as back up SG and 3rd string SF. I also bet that Jbo plays the most minutes of any hawk this season. Therefore limiting CJF's reserve minutes. If JT isn't capable of spelling Connor at the point then Jbo would have to shift opening up more minutes for CJF. It's impossible to know so I just picked what seems most likely to me.

Toussaint stated that when Fran was recruiting him he wouldn't be recruiting him unless he was a difference maker for Iowa this year. He won't start, but he will probably back up Bohannon. Hopefully, McCaffery will be a solid backup at the 2 and 3 with Fredrick starting at the two. I don't see McCaffery being much of a scorer being a part time basketball player. Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Bohannon look like they would be pretty potent. Both Wieskamp and Fredrick look like they would be pretty good defense players. Iowa should have a lot of power on the inside.

Toussaint stated that when Fran was recruiting him he wouldn't be recruiting him unless he was a difference maker for Iowa this year. He won't start, but he will probably back up Bohannon. Hopefully, McCaffery will be a solid backup at the 2 and 3 with Fredrick starting at the two. I don't see McCaffery being much of a scorer being a part time basketball player. Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Bohannon look like they would be pretty potent. Both Wieskamp and Fredrick look like they would be pretty good defense players. Iowa should have a lot of power on the inside.

Well I will be interested to see which one of us is correct.

Patrick will be playing this year is my bet. He will likely back up Weiskamp for about 10 to 15 minutes a game. If this happens like I expect then that leaves CJF as back up SG and 3rd string SF. I also bet that Jbo plays the most minutes of any hawk this season. Therefore limiting CJF's reserve minutes. If JT isn't capable of spelling Connor at the point then Jbo would have to shift opening up more minutes for CJF. It's impossible to know so I just picked what seems most likely to me.
There are 80 minutes available at the 1 & 2 spots. Bohannon will get about 30. That leaves 50 for Cmac, Toussaint, and CJF (assuming Wieskamp play all his minutes at 3).

Say for example they were all equal players who each brought something to the table that would leave about 16 minutes for each guy.

My guess would be Cmac will be closer to 20 with the other two closer to 15, but being that I’m not very high on Cmac I’m hoping one of the other two is simply too good to not demand more minutes.

Two questions.

1. What has led you to believe Frederick looks like a good defensive player? Has someone mentioned he’s got a lot of length or quickness on that end? Strength? I seriously hadn’t heard any of that so would be interesting. People said he was doing very well in practice but assumed that was offense related.

2. Why would Connor be the backup 2 or 3 if he isn’t a very good scorer? He hasn’t shown to be a great defender so I don’t think it would make much sense to play him off the ball. Right now his best skill is passing so when he plays he’s playing PG would be my guess.

Two questions.

2. Why would Connor be the backup 2 or 3 if he isn’t a very good scorer? He hasn’t shown to be a great defender so I don’t think it would make much sense to play him off the ball. Right now his best skill is passing so when he plays he’s playing PG would be my guess.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Two questions.

1. What has led you to believe Frederick looks like a good defensive player? Has someone mentioned he’s got a lot of length or quickness on that end? Strength? I seriously hadn’t heard any of that so would be interesting. People said he was doing very well in practice but assumed that was offense related.

Fran has said that Fredrerick was gifted athletically, was a scorer, and played defense.

Fran has said that Fredrerick was gifted athletically, was a scorer, and played defense.
Fran also thought Christian Williams, Brady Ellingson, and Maishe Dailey could play point guard at this level. But anyway that’s interesting to hear. The only quotes I had seen appeared to be offensive related from Fran.

I see you didn’t get to the second question. If Connor is not ever going to be much of a scorer (doesn’t appear to be much of a shooter), doesn’t appear to be a plus defender, why would it make sense for him to play his minutes at the backup 2 and 3 spots?

I could be mistaken, but if Toussaint doesn't play fair minutes, Fran is the one that is wrong.

What is fair minutes? Also how have you determined that JT is ready to play? Have you worked this kid out personally?

If you think Connor is going to play fewer minutes this coming season than he did last season, I hope you're enjoying your alternate universe.

If you think Connor is going to play fewer minutes this coming season than he did last season, I hope you're enjoying your alternate universe.
I heard some rumblings that they are still considering redshirting Pat if he can’t get the weight on. Do you still feel that’s highly unlikely?

I heard some rumblings that they are still considering redshirting Pat if he can’t get the weight on. Do you still feel that’s highly unlikely?

Fran talked about it being a possibility on KCJJ radio show last week. We had Pat on our radio show in April. He said he wanted to play but would do whatever the coaches felt was best.

I think Fran and Pat are keeping their options open, but I would bet he plays.