Fran Says Moss Wants Expanded Role

Fran talked about it being a possibility on KCJJ radio show last week. We had Pat on our radio show in April. He said he wanted to play but would do whatever the coaches felt was best.

I think Fran and Pat are keeping their options open, but I would bet he plays.
Thanks. I ask because from a minutes perspective it could make things a little easier.

I agree Connor’s minutes are going up (not that I agree they should) and with JBo and Wieskamp penciled in for at least 30 it really doesn’t leave a ton of minutes after that in the backcourt.

If Frederick is the real deal as I’ve heard a few times I would think he will get some quality minutes. Maybe that means Toussaint won’t play as much as some are expecting.

Last edited:
Fran has said that Fredrerick was gifted athletically, was a scorer, and played defense.
You're going to really take Fran's defensive evaluation seriously?

The one thing above all that Iowa's been known for the last few years is having bottom of the P6 defense.

That would be like John Kruk giving analysis of a marathon runner.

Thanks. I ask because from a minutes perspective it could make things a little easier.

I agree Connor’s minutes are going up (not that I agree they should) and with JBo and Wieskamp penciled in for at least 30 it really doesn’t leave a ton of minutes after that in the backcourt.

If Frederick is the real deal as I’ve heard a few times I would think he will get some quality minutes. Maybe that means Toussaint won’t play as much as some are expecting.

They'll have a better idea what Pat can contribute going through summer and fall workouts. They'll want to see how he holds up physically against B1G level players.

I'll be interested so see how JBo and Wieskamp play at the two. Both those guys will play a lot of minutes. Where is the question.

What is fair minutes? Also how have you determined that JT is ready to play? Have you worked this kid out personally?
Personally I'm just relying on what McCaffery has stated. Hopefully, he will be pretty good as a true freshman. I see no reason he can't give iowa ten to fifteen minutes of quality time per game. He brings elements to the team that have been lacking. If he can't play within the framework then it should be good.

Personally I'm just relying on what McCaffery has stated. Hopefully, he will be pretty good as a true freshman. I see no reason he can't give iowa ten to fifteen minutes of quality time per game. He brings elements to the team that have been lacking. If he can't play within the framework then it should be good.

Well 10 to 15 minutes is exactly what I predicted. So I guess we are in agreement.

They'll have a better idea what Pat can contribute going through summer and fall workouts. They'll want to see how he holds up physically against B1G level players.

I'll be interested so see how JBo and Wieskamp play at the two. Both those guys will play a lot of minutes. Where is the question.

I know Fran said it, but I have a hard time seeing JW playing any 2 guard unless Frederick simply isn't ready. I would imagine that Riley Till has a more realistic chance of playing minutes for backing up the SG.

I know Fran said it, but I have a hard time seeing JW playing any 2 guard unless Frederick simply isn't ready. I would imagine that Riley Till has a more realistic chance of playing minutes for backing up the SG.

We disagree.

We disagree.

Just to clarify. I didn't mean JW does not have the skill set for SG. I meant that JW is a perfect fit for the SF and I don't think anyone else can fill that role anywhere near how JW does it. I think Joe would be a very good SG it just doesn't make sense to me roster wise to have him in the SG rotation.

Do we still disagree?

Just to clarify. I didn't mean JW does not have the skill set for SG. I meant that JW is a perfect fit for the SF and I don't think anyone else can fill that role anywhere near how JW does it. I think Joe would be a very good SG it just doesn't make sense to me roster wise to have him in the SG rotation.

Do we still disagree?

Well, the Bohannon news changes things even more.

And to clarify, I disagree because I think JW is a legit option at the two with his versatility. He can play it. I don't think Connor or Joe T can play the two. Frederick might be an option there. Time will tell. But there's a chance that Patrick is at the three and JW at the two is better than Fredrick at the 2 and JW at the 3. I don't know. But JW has the versatility where the McCafferys and Joe T are more locked into one position.

Well, the Bohannon news changes things even more.

And to clarify, I disagree because I think JW is a legit option at the two with his versatility. He can play it. I don't think Connor or Joe T can play the two. Frederick might be an option there. Time will tell. But there's a chance that Patrick is at the three and JW at the two is better than Fredrick at the 2 and JW at the 3. I don't know. But JW has the versatility where the McCafferys and Joe T are more locked into one position.

Yes I agree that Joe could play the 2 spot and would be a better option than Connor. I am not sure but I assume also a better option than CJF.

The Jbo surgery really throws a huge wrench in it. If he is not ready to suit up that means alot of guys will be playing out of position.

I mostly just want JW to be able to stay at the 3 because he is a great rebounder and I feel you lose alot of that benefit with him at the 2. Not because of a skill thing, but simply because the floor spacing will have him behind the arch more and further from the basket, but if we don't have Jbo and we need a bonafide starter at SG it's got to be JW unfortunately.