? For Those Of You Who Lost Taste And/Or Smell...

Fryowa

Administrator
Any updates or does silence imply that Fry is dead?
Smell is coming back somewhat. Very faintly but I can make out different smells now. If you crop dust my office I'm gonna know about it but just barely.

Taste is still pretty much gone. I can identify salty vs sweet, but can't identify flavor whatsoever. If you gave me a cookie with sweet BBQ sauce on it there'd be no difference between that and say, chocolate syrup.

One of the very few things I actually enjoy eating are saltines because I can somewhat make out the salt (it's very diminished though), and even before 'rona there's no other taste. So saltines are pretty much same as before, just a more bland version.

The owner of our locker here in town is probably wondering if I died or moved though, because I haven't bought any meat since the beginning of August. I should probably swing in there and let him know what's up. He's a good dude with a good business and fair prices.

MelroseHawkins

Smell is coming back somewhat. Very faintly but I can make out different smells now. If you crop dust my office I'm gonna know about it but just barely.

Taste is still pretty much gone. I can identify salty vs sweet, but can't identify flavor whatsoever. If you gave me a cookie with sweet BBQ sauce on it there'd be no difference between that and say, chocolate syrup.

One of the very few things I actually enjoy eating are saltines because I can somewhat make out the salt (it's very diminished though), and even before 'rona there's no other taste. So saltines are pretty much same as before, just a more bland version.

The owner of our locker here in town is probably wondering if I died or moved though, because I haven't bought any meat since the beginning of August. I should probably swing in there and let him know what's up. He's a good dude with a good business and fair prices.

I'm sure you will be in before Iowa vs SD State.

Fryowa

Administrator
I'm sure you will be in before Iowa vs SD State.
Better be back by then. I'm the cook in our group and it's gonna suck making a bunch of food when I can't enjoy it.

My smell coming back is giving me a little hope that everything else is coming along too.

Fryowa

Administrator
Thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone cares to read.

Smell - Mostly back. I'd say 80% holding steady over the past couple weeks. No real distortion that I can tell from previous. I'm hoping it continues to get stronger.

Taste - Somewhat back. I am however noticing some huge differences. The most prominent being I'm super sensitive to salt now for some reason. Some things I ate before, when I eat them now it's just too overpowering. My best friend's wife makes the world's best cheesy hash browns, ate some at our tailgate Saturday and it was all I could taste. She doesn't even add salt to the recipe because there's enough in the cheese. Had some of those snakebite appetizers with cheese and diced jalapenos at Texas Roadhouse the other day and same thing.

Ranch dressing and anything with that sort of dairy "twang" tastes ridiculously bitter. I didn't eat a lot of ranch dressing before covid, but I liked it. If this keeps up there won't be anymore ranch.

I guess the main thing is that I'm not picking up the nuanced flavors yet, or at least not enough that I'm back to normal. I'm getting salty, bitter, and sweet easily, and those flavors seem to be magnified big time.

One weird thing...fruit tastes the same as before and it's amazing. Ate 2 nectarines, 2 oranges, and 2 bananas yesterday. I don't know if I think it's amazing because it's one of the few things I have that isn't distorted, or what.

MelroseHawkins

Thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone cares to read.

Smell - Mostly back. I'd say 80% holding steady over the past couple weeks. No real distortion that I can tell from previous. I'm hoping it continues to get stronger.

Taste - Somewhat back. I am however noticing some huge differences. The most prominent being I'm super sensitive to salt now for some reason. Some things I ate before, when I eat them now it's just too overpowering. My best friend's wife makes the world's best cheesy hash browns, ate some at our tailgate Saturday and it was all I could taste. She doesn't even add salt to the recipe because there's enough in the cheese. Had some of those snakebite appetizers with cheese and diced jalapenos at Texas Roadhouse the other day and same thing.

Ranch dressing and anything with that sort of dairy "twang" tastes ridiculously bitter. I didn't eat a lot of ranch dressing before covid, but I liked it. If this keeps up there won't be anymore ranch.

I guess the main thing is that I'm not picking up the nuanced flavors yet, or at least not enough that I'm back to normal. I'm getting salty, bitter, and sweet easily, and those flavors seem to be magnified big time.

One weird thing...fruit tastes the same as before and it's amazing. Ate 2 nectarines, 2 oranges, and 2 bananas yesterday. I don't know if I think it's amazing because it's one of the few things I have that isn't distorted, or what.

Did you ever get everything completely back?

Fryowa

Administrator
Did you ever get everything completely back?
Smell I'd say is 80-90% and not changing anymore, better or worse.

Taste is weird. There are a few things that don't taste the same, the most significant of which is ranch dressing. Used to love it, now it tastes like crap no matter what brand I try.

I'm also way more sensitive to garlic now. Had my aunt's mashed potatoes at thanksgiving which were always my fave, and now all I taste is garlic even though she uses the same amount. I've noticed it with a lot of other things too so it's not just her recipe doing it.