? For Those Of You Who Lost Taste And/Or Smell...

Any updates or does silence imply that Fry is dead?
Smell is coming back somewhat. Very faintly but I can make out different smells now. If you crop dust my office I'm gonna know about it but just barely.

Taste is still pretty much gone. I can identify salty vs sweet, but can't identify flavor whatsoever. If you gave me a cookie with sweet BBQ sauce on it there'd be no difference between that and say, chocolate syrup.

One of the very few things I actually enjoy eating are saltines because I can somewhat make out the salt (it's very diminished though), and even before 'rona there's no other taste. So saltines are pretty much same as before, just a more bland version.

The owner of our locker here in town is probably wondering if I died or moved though, because I haven't bought any meat since the beginning of August. I should probably swing in there and let him know what's up. He's a good dude with a good business and fair prices.

Smell is coming back somewhat. Very faintly but I can make out different smells now. If you crop dust my office I'm gonna know about it but just barely.

Taste is still pretty much gone. I can identify salty vs sweet, but can't identify flavor whatsoever. If you gave me a cookie with sweet BBQ sauce on it there'd be no difference between that and say, chocolate syrup.

One of the very few things I actually enjoy eating are saltines because I can somewhat make out the salt (it's very diminished though), and even before 'rona there's no other taste. So saltines are pretty much same as before, just a more bland version.

The owner of our locker here in town is probably wondering if I died or moved though, because I haven't bought any meat since the beginning of August. I should probably swing in there and let him know what's up. He's a good dude with a good business and fair prices.

I'm sure you will be in before Iowa vs SD State.

I'm sure you will be in before Iowa vs SD State.
Better be back by then. I'm the cook in our group and it's gonna suck making a bunch of food when I can't enjoy it.

My smell coming back is giving me a little hope that everything else is coming along too.

Possible reason why some lose smell and taste. The olfactory nerve.

Thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone cares to read.

Smell - Mostly back. I'd say 80% holding steady over the past couple weeks. No real distortion that I can tell from previous. I'm hoping it continues to get stronger.

Taste - Somewhat back. I am however noticing some huge differences. The most prominent being I'm super sensitive to salt now for some reason. Some things I ate before, when I eat them now it's just too overpowering. My best friend's wife makes the world's best cheesy hash browns, ate some at our tailgate Saturday and it was all I could taste. She doesn't even add salt to the recipe because there's enough in the cheese. Had some of those snakebite appetizers with cheese and diced jalapenos at Texas Roadhouse the other day and same thing.

Ranch dressing and anything with that sort of dairy "twang" tastes ridiculously bitter. I didn't eat a lot of ranch dressing before covid, but I liked it. If this keeps up there won't be anymore ranch.

I guess the main thing is that I'm not picking up the nuanced flavors yet, or at least not enough that I'm back to normal. I'm getting salty, bitter, and sweet easily, and those flavors seem to be magnified big time.

One weird thing...fruit tastes the same as before and it's amazing. Ate 2 nectarines, 2 oranges, and 2 bananas yesterday. I don't know if I think it's amazing because it's one of the few things I have that isn't distorted, or what.

Thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone cares to read.

Smell - Mostly back. I'd say 80% holding steady over the past couple weeks. No real distortion that I can tell from previous. I'm hoping it continues to get stronger.

Taste - Somewhat back. I am however noticing some huge differences. The most prominent being I'm super sensitive to salt now for some reason. Some things I ate before, when I eat them now it's just too overpowering. My best friend's wife makes the world's best cheesy hash browns, ate some at our tailgate Saturday and it was all I could taste. She doesn't even add salt to the recipe because there's enough in the cheese. Had some of those snakebite appetizers with cheese and diced jalapenos at Texas Roadhouse the other day and same thing.

Ranch dressing and anything with that sort of dairy "twang" tastes ridiculously bitter. I didn't eat a lot of ranch dressing before covid, but I liked it. If this keeps up there won't be anymore ranch.

I guess the main thing is that I'm not picking up the nuanced flavors yet, or at least not enough that I'm back to normal. I'm getting salty, bitter, and sweet easily, and those flavors seem to be magnified big time.

One weird thing...fruit tastes the same as before and it's amazing. Ate 2 nectarines, 2 oranges, and 2 bananas yesterday. I don't know if I think it's amazing because it's one of the few things I have that isn't distorted, or what.

Did you ever get everything completely back?

Did you ever get everything completely back?
Smell I'd say is 80-90% and not changing anymore, better or worse.

Taste is weird. There are a few things that don't taste the same, the most significant of which is ranch dressing. Used to love it, now it tastes like crap no matter what brand I try.

I'm also way more sensitive to garlic now. Had my aunt's mashed potatoes at thanksgiving which were always my fave, and now all I taste is garlic even though she uses the same amount. I've noticed it with a lot of other things too so it's not just her recipe doing it.

I've been VAX'd twice and boosted twice.

Was scheduled for a R TKA last Friday.

Had to do a preliminary Covid swab 48 hours prior to the surgery.

Yep. + test. Surgery delayed for 30 days.

I had some minor pulmonary tightness, a slight headache and mandatory off work for 5 days.
That's it. I'm back at work this week. (masking for another 5 days)

My point? Any vax isn't going to prevent transmission.

However, I'm convinced vax'ing mitigates the event.

As a Long Term Care Pharmacist, I deal with the vaccines daily. So, yeah, I'm pro-vax and pro-boost.

I got the 'Rona a few days ago, and I'm through the worst of the physical part. Day one and two sucked big time, day 3 was better, and today is better yet. For me it was equivalent to a bad cold that I've had multiple times.

However...

Most of you probably know that I like to cook and eat food, and I have a pretty diverse palette. I also lost almost all of my taste and 100% of my smell. Here's my situation in detail:

Taste:

-I can sense some sweet tastes. I can't really differentiate between what's what, but I can tell it's sweet. If I'm eating a brownie I know it's got sugar in it but that's about it. I can't make out chocolate, etc.

-Meat, cheese, bread, spice, vinegar (dill pickles, etc) I have absolutely nothing. I tried hot Cheetos and got the sting from the spice, but zero flavor. Anything savory ain't there at all. It's like I'm eating some weird kind of textured soy product with literally no discernable taste sensation.

-I can pick up the salt on Ritz crackers a tiny bit so that's pretty much what I've been eating.

- Liquids are weird. Gatorade is almost non-existent other than I can sense it's sweet, and all flavors taste identical, which is like VERY watered down KoolAid. Cola flavored drinks just tastes like watered down flat versions. Like if you drink a fountain Coke that's gone flat and all the ice has melted watering it down. Lemon Lime flavored drinks like Sprite or 7Up are somewhat close to the original, which is weird. Now get this...Minute Maid peach punch from the carton...tastes EXACTLY like it did before. On one hand it's fucking glorious because it's the one thing I can actually enjoy, but on the other hand it's pretty much straight up sugar and flavoring so I can't just drink that for the next month. But, whatever they put in that shit at the factory defeats the 'Rona taste gremlins.

Smell:

-It's just fuckin' gone. Zero, zilch, nada. As in literally nothing.

-I stuck my nose right in a bottle of rubbing alcohol and inhaled, and got zero. I did get a faint burn from the alcohol, but no smell telling me it was alcohol whatsoever.

-Tried fresh cut onion, the strongest horseradish my buddy could find, deodorant right on my nose, you name it. There's just nothing there whatsoever.

Anyway, here's my question for those of you who lost your taste and/or smell...

How long did it take to come back (if it did), and what was your experience?

This is hell. I'm physically fine now, but because I love to cook and smell and eat food of many different varieties, you could say it's a very important part of life for me. What I have going on now is like watching Avatar in black and white with earmuffs on.

Glad you recovered rather quickly, Fry

You must be in very good overall health

7 UP is what my parents always had us drink when we were ill, helps to flush the system
and we drank a lot of tea and toast, also had us take hot baths to sweat it out. A sauna would
be good to have outside or in the basement

What medications did you take, might be good to know if I get a bug bite

Glad you are back and well

Didn't notice the date on the original post, glad you have smell and taste again though

:cool:

Last edited:
Aleve and lots of NyQuil to knock me out was it. I had PTO to use so I could slam half a bottle of NyQuil and sleep without having to worry about the cough syrup hangover at work the next day.

For all the safety goons out there, I know you’re not supposed to slam half a bottle of NyQuil. However, it made me feel tolerable, kept my fever down and it was the only way I could sleep. And when you’re sick, sleep is the absolute best thing for you bar none.

My liver and kidneys have been through worse, trust me.

Nyquil Severe Cold and Flu is very good, better than the regular Nyquil

My Doctor at Mercy recommended Mucinex Severe Cold and Flu and I am taking it now for the
respiratory thing going around, bit of wheezing, but it is going away

I have just been taking a cap at a time, might just take a long pull couple of times a day instead

It's All Good

The ingredients you want are:

ibuprofen (generic Motrin) (reduces inflammation/fever at the point of origin) (200mg - 800mg 4x daily)
acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) (blocks pain transmission from the point of origin/reduces fever as well) (1000mg 3x daily)
guaifenesin (generic Mucinex, robitussin) (reduces/smooths out sticky Phlegm so it doesn't harbor bugs) (400-800 mg 2-3x daily)

I also added in 30mg of pseudoephedrine to reduce nasal drip into my lungs from my sinuses. (ever 12 hours)

Don't pay an arm and a leg for the "brand" name stuff...pick up the generics.

I had some minor pulmonary tightness, a slight headache and mandatory off work for 5 days.

As a Long Term Care Pharmacist, I deal with the vaccines daily. So, yeah, I'm pro-vax and pro-boost.

I did the two vaxes but none of the boosts. I keep hearing people keep getting it. But, to your point, there may be benefit lessening the symptoms and having better outcomes. But, I feel we've had heard immunity to now and most likely my family and I have had it at some point. Those people who are still running around with masks should realize they've prob had it and have immunities built up and most likely will be able to handle it. But, it's a choice. It each their own.

Glad you recovered rather quickly, Fry

You must be in very good overall health

7 UP is what my parents always had us drink when we were ill, helps to flush the system
and we drank a lot of tea and toast, also had us take hot baths to sweat it out. A sauna would
be good to have outside or in the basement

Glad you are back and well

Didn't notice the date on the original post, glad you have smell and taste again though

7 up is my go to. It is what sounds the best to me and just comes with my illnesses. Back in the day, our parents all did the same thing. Remember sitting under that portable humidifier. Remember putting vix on your chest or up your nose, which says not to do on the package but we all still did it.

The ingredients you want are:

ibuprofen (generic Motrin) (reduces inflammation/fever at the point of origin) (200mg - 800mg 4x daily)
acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) (blocks pain transmission from the point of origin/reduces fever as well) (1000mg 3x daily)
guaifenesin (generic Mucinex, robitussin) (reduces/smooths out sticky Phlegm so it doesn't harbor bugs) (400-800 mg 2-3x daily)

I also added in 30mg of pseudoephedrine to reduce nasal drip into my lungs from my sinuses. (ever 12 hours)

Don't pay an arm and a leg for the "brand" name stuff...pick up the generics.

Boy, it's nice to have a pharmacist on site!

So, how do you stagger all the meds. You can't take them all at once, can you?

7 up is my go to. It is what sounds the best to me and just comes with my illnesses. Back in the day, our parents all did the same thing. Remember sitting under that portable humidifier. Remember putting vix on your chest or up your nose, which says not to do on the package but we all still did it.

Yep, I do all those things also

God Bless our Parents

I put the vix on my chest and back and just under my nose to breathe the fumes

I did the two vaxes but none of the boosts. I keep hearing people keep getting it. But, to your point, there may be benefit lessening the symptoms and having better outcomes. But, I feel we've had heard immunity to now and most likely my family and I have had it at some point. Those people who are still running around with masks should realize they've prob had it and have immunities built up and most likely will be able to handle it. But, it's a choice. It each their own.
I don't know a single person who has had covid a 2nd time and it knocked them on their ass. I'm sure there are plenty of stories. But since I haven't heard a single one, I assume it's pretty rare.

I use feverfew and/or magnesium for pains and such. Works for me better than over-the-countermeds like Tylenol.

The above post pharmaceutical post could go south with equal time.

Latest posts