End of Season Conclusions

End of season conclusions mean discussing coaches from 30 years ago? I feel like this thread went off the rails. Back on topic...

Fran is a good coach and it would be foolish to get rid of him. Villanova looked like a legitimate championship contender. The Gonzaga team that whooped us last season just destroyed both teams it faced in the first two rounds who were both higher seeds than we were. Blowout losses suck but at least they were both to really good teams. We have some enticing recruits for the next few seasons. I'm willing to give Fran a few seasons to show what he can do with more athletic players.

You confuse me sometimes.

Why are you talking about ancient history? Tom Crean, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Thad Matta, Mark Turgeon, none of them could even "back into" the tournament for the last 3 years, they simple freaking missed the cut. George Raveling being a better coach? LOL, the guy could kill it on the recruiting front, but he couldn't outcoach my High School coach, don't make me laughy.

I'm sick of posters acting like petulant 12 year old children. Oh sorry, maybe that is what you are if you think George could coach.
90 is upset. He didn't get a participation ribbon. If he treats his car like he thinks about coaches he'd trade off a brand new vehicle for getting a flat tire. I'm sure he believes in the theory any change is a good change.

Doc I was wondering when you would chime in and join the chorus of old farts. You did not disappoint, never one to miss an opportunity to comment on things you know absolutely nothing about.

Your comments show your immaturity. We're not talking about your 8th grade team. It's obvious you spent your time in the marching band and not on the sports team. Go back and cry on your boyfriends shoulder.

What? Ralph won the B1G two of his last three seasons. In his last four years, Ralph was twenty games over five-hundred in the conference. Remember, the B1G only played fourteen games. Ralph's winning percentage in the conference those four years was 67.9%. I wish Iowa had more coaches trending downward like Ralph.

From '79 through '82, Lute was twenty-four games over five-hundred for a winning percentage of 66.7%. Lute's last season was '83 & the Hawks made the Sweet 16.

In the last thirty-three seasons, Iowa has won at least two-thirds of its B1G games in a season only six times. Iowa should find more trending downward coaches like Ralph & Lute!

So if in the last 33 seasons Iowa has won at least 2/3 of it's Big 10 games in a season only six times.... if two of those are the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons would you say we are trending upward?

Raveling was a great recruiter but his coaching left a lot of questions. He underachieved based on the talent he had.

Always felt a duo of Raveling as recruiter and coach in charge of the big men and Mr. Davis as head coach could have ruled the B1G for years. Each man had strengths that would have overcome the other's weaknesses.

Your comments show your immaturity. We're not talking about your 8th grade team. It's obvious you spent your time in the marching band and not on the sports team. Go back and cry on your boyfriends shoulder.

Is that the best that you have? Wow no wonder you obsess over the cyclown stuff, you are on the same intellectual level as them. They put a "legend" by the old guys/long-time writers on here because of your longevity, not because you really are a legend....understand Doc? The legends (old guys) all seem to have one trait in common, they believe that they have some sense of entitlement to opinions, and that anyone that wants to see the Hawk programs improve are just young whippersnappers and should shut up. I think that you just called me gay in the above comment, do you have a problem with gay people Doc, how about people of color? And you hate the marching band? I understand that you are going through your second childhood.....but try to focus. The tape on your Depends goes to the front.

Last edited:
benchmark-girl-trojan-crossfit-wod-fran-21-15-9-thrusters-pull-ups.jpg
Any Questions?

Iowa is never going to be a perennial contender for BIG titles in football or basketball. Rational Iowa fans understand and accept that. What Iowa fans (and every BIG fan) should expect is a BIG title or at least a top 3 finish, every 4 or 5 years. If you have a coach that hasn't accomplished that, you should keep looking until you do. Anything less than that is just an effort to milk your fan base.
It's the lack of effort to keep looking for a BIG title winning coach, that frustrates fans with expectations.
Why throw good money after bad? The best leaders/bosses have clear expectations. If an AD hires a coach and tells that coach: I need a BIG title by year 5 or a tangible reason why we don't have one (severe injuries to key players, etc). Every coach applying for D-1 head coaching jobs, have the ego to sign on under those conditions. Every D-1 caliber coach believes they can get that done. If they don't think they can get that done, you don't want that guy.
So, stop arguing about what realistic expectations are because I just laid out what most Iowa fans want.
If you fall on the side of: I want one every year!
or on the side of: This is Iowa. Just root for the team no matter how long they go between BIG titles.
Make your name known right now. We can start you a thread and you can battle it out. Otherwise, it's not worth arguing about.

Iowa is never going to be a perennial contender for BIG titles in football or basketball. Rational Iowa fans understand and accept that. What Iowa fans (and every BIG fan) should expect is a BIG title or at least a top 3 finish, every 4 or 5 years. If you have a coach that hasn't accomplished that, you should keep looking until you do. Anything less than that is just an effort to milk your fan base.
It's the lack of effort to keep looking for a BIG title winning coach, that frustrates fans with expectations.
Why throw good money after bad? The best leaders/bosses have clear expectations. If an AD hires a coach and tells that coach: I need a BIG title by year 5 or a tangible reason why we don't have one (severe injuries to key players, etc). Every coach applying for D-1 head coaching jobs, have the ego to sign on under those conditions. Every D-1 caliber coach believes they can get that done. If they don't think they can get that done, you don't want that guy.
So, stop arguing about what realistic expectations are because I just laid out what most Iowa fans want.
or on the side of: This is Iowa. Just root for the team no matter how long they go between BIG titles.
Make your name known right now. We can start you a thread and you can battle it out. Otherwise, it's not worth arguing about.
Perfect! I could not have said it better myself. Thank you

I concur with Hawk90, good post.

As for the bold text, I kind of lie in between. I understand reality. I know Iowa won't be UK, Duke, etc. going to Final Fours all the time, cutting down the nets, and that's fine - but 1979 since the last regular season conference title. Just ONE Sweet 16 since 1988, and none since 1999.. We're only talking winning two tournament games, not the whole darned thing. That's hardly a miracle I'm asking for. 37 years and counting on a conference championship? SMH.

I know Iowa will have up's and down's, and be NIT here and there as well, but it shouldn't be too much to ask for the occasional Sweet 16, maybe a little deeper if things break right once you get past the first weekend. Or to seriously contend for the Big 10 title a few times per decade, and actually win one every once in a while. I know it's not easy, but NEVER? I can't accept that what I've seen in my lifetime is the ceiling.

It drives me nuts that double digit seeds can make the Sweet 16, but Iowa can't. Butler, George Mason, VCU, etc. can make the Final Four, even on a fluke, but Iowa can't get past the second round.

I know: 1986-87. I remember it well. But that was ONE year. Iowa honestly hasn't come all that close to that since.

Now, maybe Fran can get this done in time - that isn't what this is about. I'm not calling for heads here. I'm just more or less lamenting the past 30 years or so.

Last edited:
I concur with Hawk90, good post.

As for the bold text, I kind of lie in between. I understand reality. I know Iowa won't be UK, Duke, etc. going to Final Fours all the time, cutting down the nets, and that's fine - but 1979 since the last regular season conference title. Just ONE Sweet 16 since 1988, and none since 1999.. We're only talking winning two tournament games, not the whole darned thing. That's hardly a miracle I'm asking for. 37 years and counting on a conference championship? SMH.

I know Iowa will have up's and down's, and be NIT here and there as well, but it shouldn't be too much to ask for the occasional Sweet 16, maybe a little deeper if things break right once you get past the first weekend. Or to seriously contend for the Big 10 title a few times per decade, and actually win one every once in a while. I know it's not easy, but NEVER? I can't accept that what I've seen in my lifetime is the ceiling.

It drives me nuts that double digit seeds can make the Sweet 16, but Iowa can't. Butler, George Mason, VCU, etc. can make the Final Four, even on a fluke, but Iowa can't get past the second round.

I know: 1986-87. I remember it well. But that was ONE year. Iowa honestly hasn't come all that close to that since.

Now, maybe Fran can get this done in time - that isn't what this is about. I'm not calling for heads here. I'm just more or less lamenting the past 30 years or so.

If you consider this year, Iowa has seriously challenged for the B1G title only three times since Lute left. Once under Davis, once under Alford & this year. That is pathetic.

My conclusions (my opinion)
1. Fran desperately needs an assistant head coach that can inspire the players as well as recognize and make in game adjustments. This will require relinquishing some control of the program, especially during the games.

Agreed, look at what Mr. Davis did when Bruce Pearl was by his side. I believe I looked it up once but when Pearl left the staff Iowa did a little worse in those later years.

Agreed, look at what Mr. Davis did when Bruce Pearl was by his side. I believe I looked it up once but when Pearl left the staff Iowa did a little worse in those later years.

It had nothing to do with Pearl leaving the program. Mr. Davis did worse in later years because Armstrong, Gamble, Horton, Jones, Lohaus, Lorenzen, Marble, Moe & Wright left the program.

Is that the best that you have? Wow no wonder you obsess over the cyclown stuff, you are on the same intellectual level as them. They put a "legend" by the old guys/long-time writers on here because of your longevity, not because you really are a legend....understand Doc? The legends (old guys) all seem to have one trait in common, they believe that they have some sense of entitlement to opinions, and that anyone that wants to see the Hawk programs improve are just young whippersnappers and should shut up. I think that you just called me gay in the above comment, do you have a problem with gay people Doc, how about people of color? And you hate the marching band? I understand that you are going through your second childhood.....but try to focus. The tape on your Depends goes to the front.
I have no problem with gay people. I said you should cry on your boyfriends shoulder because your posts make me think you're a girl. You walked right into that trap. Get an IQ then you can post.

I have no problem with gay people. I said you should cry on your boyfriends shoulder because your posts make me think you're a girl. You walked right into that trap. Get an IQ then you can post.
Nice try Doc, we have talked before....remember, you said Red Skelton was the greatest comedian ever...... But I digress, you exposed yourself as the bigot that you are. It does not surprise me, based on your posts, you seem full of hate and are only able to attack the posters, rarely commenting on what they post and contributing anything positive, especially evident in your irrational hatred for anything cyclone. I just feel sorry for you.

Nice try Doc, we have talked before....remember, you said Red Skelton was the greatest comedian ever...... But I digress, you exposed yourself as the bigot that you are. It does not surprise me, based on your posts, you seem full of hate and are only able to attack the posters, rarely commenting on what they post and contributing anything positive, especially evident in your irrational hatred for anything cyclone. I just feel sorry for you.

You really are a joke. You attacked me. Then you attacked Dean. Now you're going after Doc. I don't feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for people that actually have to be around you in day to day life.

Latest posts