End of Season Conclusions

Walker, I respect you as a poster, and you are more reasonable than I am, but losing by 19 isn't respectable. Our starters cutting the deficit against their backups isn't a sign of mental toughness. It's a pure talent issue. The game was over. Villanova wasn't trying at that point.

I agree, losing by 19 is still bad, but It's a lot more respectable than 34, or 40+, which could have easily happened if this team "gave up, or was mentally weak".

I will agree on the talent disparity, especially as an overall squad.

My point was only refuting the "mentally weak" thing, which I strongly disagree with, this year.

conclusion, got the fans hopes WAY up rising to #3 in the nation then dropped faster than a lead turd. Once you get the fans hopes up, you damn well better deliver not plummet into the abyss. This team has done that two out of the last 3 seasons which is the reason Iowa fans are as mad as they are about the direction of the program. That and the fact they didn't bother showing up for the 'Nova game.

Conclusion: even though in the beginning of the season the vast majority would have taken a 2nd round game (I REFUSE to call play in games "the 1st round) in the NCAA tournament, based on the way it ended the season is a failure.

IMO

Fran can coach. He doesn't need to change his system. The senior class couldn't do much more over the course of their careers. They did what they could with the physical tools and mental toughness they had.

We have outstanding assistant coaches with a ton of experience. Fran and his assistants know how to evaluate young talent...and get in on players early. We are taking the next step and getting some of the better players to commit.

This team had to rely on the jump shot. Our experienced players don't have the skill set to break better athletes down off the dribble. Some of the young players on next year's team will have this skill set.

I'm looking forward to next year. I like our coaches and I like the young talent (and potential) on next year's roster.

IMO

Fran can coach. He doesn't need to change his system. The senior class couldn't do much more over the course of their careers. They did what they could with the physical tools and mental toughness they had.

We have outstanding assistant coaches with a ton of experience. Fran and his assistants know how to evaluate young talent...and get in on players early. We are taking the next step and getting some of the better players to commit.

This team had to rely on the jump shot. Our experienced players don't have the skill set to break better athletes down off the dribble. Some of the young players on next year's team will have this skill set.

I'm looking forward to next year. I like our coaches and I like the young talent (and potential) on next year's roster.

Windsorhawk, are you Fran's wife? What makes you think he can coach? He can recruit, he is one of the worst game coaches that I have seen. This program, is the third best in this state....... there is no excuse for that. We can and we should do better, this loser mentality of settling for mediocrity is astounding. "Well it could be worse, it could be Lickliter." Yes and it can be Lute, or Ralph Miller, or even Raveling and Mr. Davis. Quit settling losers.

* too few weapons on offense

* lacked quickness

* ball handling skills questionable

* given many opportunities but capitalized on few

* $100 for every missed uncontested bucket under the basket, I'd be rich

* body of work for the year = C+

I don't mean to be a d!ck, but no. The seniors were not clutch, no argument there. But they were plenty mentally tough and they never gave up. Beat Purdue when down 18 at half, came back from double digit deficits to make it a 1 score game multiple times, came back from down 34, with almost Zero chance to win to make it somewhat respectable inside 20. Mentally weak teams don't do those things.

Facial expressions? Cmon man. This team had plenty of desire, they lacked other things.

Yep!!

He needs to change/improve some things. He would admit this. But your overstating things a bit.

I don't think he would admit this though, which is the problem. Asked about lack of bench scoring and he says he needs to find Ellingson more minutes. Asked about getting out of the zone defense and he says the zone wasn't the problem, it's not closing out quick enough. Asked about never using timeouts he says he trusts his players. Asked about play calling at the end of games or why Gesell continually took the big shots (and missed repeatedly) and he says it's none of our business.
Temple went on a 13-0 run and Fran never used a timeout. Villanova went on countless runs and Fran never called timeout or got out of the zone. Yes their PG's were breaking our defenders down off the dribble but that's still a better alternative to wide open 3's. Also, Fran is responsible for having guards who can't defend on one end and aren't quick enough to take guys off the dribble on the other end.
The players certainly deserve a share of the blame, but when I look at the late season collapse and the numerous games and outcomes that could have turned out differently with better coaching not only would we not have been a 7 seed playing Nova in the second round but feel Fran deserves as much as the blame any player or the cumulative group.

Windsorhawk, are you Fran's wife? What makes you think he can coach? He can recruit, he is one of the worst game coaches that I have seen.

I like Fran lots but I also think he is a weak Gameday coach. I watched **** ton of ball since last Thursday and witnessed some great coaching. I seen similar situations that Iowa had been in this season down the stretch and coaches utilizing every opportunity to keep his team grounded and poised.

There was a pivotal moment yesterday in the Nova game after the under 8 min timeout where Iowa couldn't do **** on the Defensive side of the ball looked completely lost and Fran just sat back and watched and allowed it to continue until the next official Timeout. Out of the 32 coaches coaching this weekend I'm willing to bet that atleast 30 would have called a timeout if not all 31.

Last edited:
I think next year the team will be competitive. A year of maturity for Wagner, uhl and Williams as well as a potential all american next year in Jok could make for an exciting year. I'm normally as pessimistic as it gets, but I see a higher ceiling next year than most.

Windsorhawk, are you Fran's wife? What makes you think he can coach? He can recruit, he is one of the worst game coaches that I have seen. This program, is the third best in this state....... there is no excuse for that. We can and we should do better, this loser mentality of settling for mediocrity is astounding. "Well it could be worse, it could be Lickliter." Yes and it can be Lute, or Ralph Miller, or even Raveling and Mr. Davis. Quit settling losers.

I understand the game of basketball. A lot of others on here do as well and I'm not just talking about people that agree with me. There are posters with differing points of view and their thoughts/observations/opinions have merit.

Yours posts and lack of insight and understanding add nothing to the conversation. You should read and learn and when you understand things better...probably not until after puberty...start posting when you have something of substance to contribute.

2 straight years with wins in the NCAA tournament... yep Fran doesn't have a clue.

I understand the game of basketball. A lot of others on here do as well and I'm not just talking about people that agree with me. There are posters with differing points of view and their thoughts/observations/opinions have merit.

Your posts and lack of insight and understanding add nothing to the conversation. You should read and learn and when you understand things better...probably not until after puberty...start posting when you have something of substance to contribute.[/QUOT

Your comments add nothing, you are in some sort of echo chamber. Based on your comments it obvious that you understand little of basketball......you haven't said anything other than; "I love Frannie, if you disagree you don't know basketball." but you are a great cheerleader, think for yourself man, or woman.

You complain about Fran's in-game coaching and then you bring up Raveling as a better situation? Raveling was a horrible in-game coach. You lose all credibility.

You complain about Fran's in-game coaching and then you bring up Raveling as a better situation? Raveling was a horrible in-game coach. You lose all credibility.
Yes you got me, Raveling was not a good game coach. I was merely trying to point to all of the Iowa coaches better than Philly Fran. Raveling WAS a better recruiter than Fran was though.

End of seasons conclusions: Iowa did exactly what I expected them to do, aside from the dreamy stretch that had us in the Top 3 in country. We hit Michigan State and Purdue at just the right time.

As for for the future I see an Iowa team next year that's going to surprise people!

I like Fran lots but I also think he is a weak Gameday coach. I watched **** ton of ball since last Thursday and witnessed some great coaching. I seen similar situations that Iowa had been in this season down the stretch and coaches utilizing every opportunity to keep his team grounded and poised.

There was a pivotal moment yesterday in the Nova game after the under 8 min timeout where Iowa couldn't do **** on the Defensive side of the ball looked completely lost and Fran just sat back and watched and allowed it to continue until the next official Timeout. Out of the 32 coaches coaching this weekend I'm willing to bet that atleast 30 would have called a timeout if not all 31.
This ^^^

Latest posts