End of Season Conclusions

End of seasons conclusions: Iowa did exactly what I expected them to do, aside from the dreamy stretch that had us in the Top 3 in country. We hit Michigan State and Purdue at just the right time.

As for for the future I see an Iowa team next year that's going to surprise people!

I agree.

Edit - I guess we technically surprised people this season. We were picked 9th in the conference in the preseason. I'm guessing we will be picked even lower next season.

Windsorhawk, are you Fran's wife? What makes you think he can coach? He can recruit, he is one of the worst game coaches that I have seen. This program, is the third best in this state....... there is no excuse for that. We can and we should do better, this loser mentality of settling for mediocrity is astounding. "Well it could be worse, it could be Lickliter." Yes and it can be Lute, or Ralph Miller, or even Raveling and Mr. Davis. Quit settling losers.

I would suggest the same thing to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend.

I love the whinny crying little babies who are coming out of the woodwork right now. We just made 3 consecutive NCAA's, something Raveling NEVER accomplished in 20+ years of coaching, and that Mr. Davis did on two separate occasions after inheriting an absolutely loaded program.

I love the whinny crying little babies who are coming out of the woodwork right now. We just made 3 consecutive NCAA's, something Raveling NEVER accomplished in 20+ years of coaching, and that Mr. Davis did on two separate occasions after inheriting an absolutely loaded program.

lol

And I disagree vehemently, that this team overachieved in the first 2/3 of the season. They played AS A TEAM! They moved the ball. They moved without the ball. They made extra passes to get open looks. It was a thing of beauty. When they hit some adversity later in conference play, they switched to hero ball. A lot of standing around waiting for Uthoff or Jok to score points. That can become like a cancer, all by itself. There are several things that can cause this. A good scouting report can help the other teams put you in tough spots to be unable to effectively run your offense. That's where in game coaching adjustments need to be made.
This team was picked to be mediocre in the pre-season because they had not shown thst they could play as a team, for an extended period of time, before. When the same 4 or 5 players exhibit the same traits for a few years, why would a pre-season prognosticator think they would perform differently? The coach had never shown the ability to make in game adjustments. The players had never shown how to win with advanced teamwork.
For 20+ games, they showed they had that ability to play TEAM basketball. They were capable. And then they reverted right back to being what they were for the past 3 years. Good enough to win against average talent. Not team oriented enough to beat above average talent.

I agree, the team didn't overachieve for the first 2/3 of the season. They overachieved for the middle 1/3 of the season.

Remember after the ISU game how everyone was saying this team wouldn't even make the NCAA's?? Our non conference we played like a bubble team. The middle 1/3 (for 11 games) we played like a top 3 seed. Then the last 1/3 of the season we played like a bubble team. So about 2/3 of the season we were what we were, and the middle 1/3 we played over our talent level.

That is my opinion, I know many won't share it, but that is what I think when I look back at the season as a whole.

Let me guess, you and Windsor were the two old coots who once stood in line at a Hawkeye Huddle and shook Frannie's hand, now you both have a man-crush on him and lost the ability to critically think. The highlight of your week is waiting for the weekly call-in to his radio show to tell him how wonderful he is. Losers like you and Windsor are the problem.

So there have been several conclusions that I have come to after this season of Iowa Basketball:

1) This team didn't choke down the stretch, the team actually OVER performed it's talent during Dec. and Jan. By this I mean I think most were right when saying this was a bubble team. We played like a bubble team in Nov., Feb. and March. That is what we were. The team played above it's talent level for most of Dec. and all of Jan.

2) We relied on the jump shot way too much this season. Mike G. never developed into a player who could finish at the rim. Uthoff never developed the strength or speed to get to the rim. Clemmons could get to the rim and finish, but was just too inconsistent in his game. Jok didn't finish at the rim well enough either.

3) I am tired of the motion offense. Watching so many other teams play over the last 4 days the basketball game has evolved away from the motion offense for a reason. It clogs up the lane, and doesn't give our players many lanes for a dribble drive opportunity. There is a reason that every time one of our players drives to the hole that they are met by at least 1 or more often 2 guys who can sag and help on D. That is because we don't create offensive spacing with the motion offense. Too many double screens for Jok to have to run off every time down the court (that is why he is gasses during games). Too little clear outs, and 4 men on the perimeter. Watch the sweet 16 and you will find the game has moved to more spacing with 3 or 4 guys on the perimeter to create lanes for whomever has the ball to drive to the basket.

4) Back to relevant. This is 3 NCAA appearances in a row. I thought that during the first 3 years of Fran that this might be something we would never see again. Now Fran's job is to exceed this 3 year run over the next 4 years. I think it is obvious by how Fran is recruiting that he understands that he needs some higher level athletes to make take this team to even more success. He did what he needed to do to get the program back on track, and I think he will now do what he needs to do to take Iowa up even another level.

Deano, allow me to interject if you would.

1. Agree on this point to an extent. I think the beginning of our Big schedule was a bit more overrated than we thought and the back end was a bit underrated. Yes, we beat MSU and Purdue twice each, but MSU and Purdue both exit in the first round of the NCAA and Wisky and Indiana are in the sweet 16.

2. This is spot on. When we won games, we were able to drive and dish and get the running game going as well. How many fast break points did we get the first 10 games in conference play versus the last 8? Huge difference. We looked like a team that didn't want to run the last 8 games and were content with playing games in the 60s. We got the quick outlet, yes, but then the PG would sit up top for 10 seconds trying to figure out what he wanted to do and putting the offense in a terrible spot and having to force jump shots. Gotta get into the offense quicker.

3. I think the motion offense is fine, but you need the parts to run it effectively - which we don't have right now. Which is why it was important to get out and run as much as possible, which we didn't do the last 10 games or so. Williams showed glimpses at the PG, and with his length, should be an improvement over Mike and Sapp down the road.

End of seasons conclusions: Iowa did exactly what I expected them to do, aside from the dreamy stretch that had us in the Top 3 in country. We hit Michigan State and Purdue at just the right time.

As for for the future I see an Iowa team next year that's going to surprise people!

Agreed.

Let me guess, you and Windsor were the two old coots who once stood in line at a Hawkeye Huddle and shook Frannie's hand, now you both have a man-crush on him and lost the ability to critically think. The highlight of your week is waiting for the weekly call-in to his radio show to tell him how wonderful he is. Losers like you and Windsor are the problem.

Ouch, this hurts. I mean I really want the new TylerSash alt to like me so, so badly.

Right now here is the list of B1G coaches who have made the last 3 NCAA tournament:

Tom Izzo
Fran McCaffery

Here who has NOT made the last 3 NCAA tournaments:
Thad Matta, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Tom Crean, Mark Turgeon

Yep lets fire Fran's azz....seems reasonable.

Ouch, this hurts. I mean I really want the new TylerSash alt to like me so, so badly.

Right now here is the list of B1G coaches who have made the last 3 NCAA tournament:

Tom Izzo
Fran McCaffery

Here who has NOT made the last 3 NCAA tournaments:
Thad Matta, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Tom Crean, Mark Turgeon

Yep lets fire Fran's azz....seems reasonable.
this deserves many thumbs up deano

Tyler Sash alt, hey oldtimer WTF is that? Let's see.... Fran backed in to the tourney three years ago, won one game last year against a lower seed, won one game this year. They s*** the bed in the B1G, fell apart yesterday, yeah....fire the coach. He can't coach.

All of the coaches you named above have gone further in the tourney. And by the way, Raveling made it two of the three years coaching here. And the NCAA didn't even expand to 64 until '85. And Raveling would have made it his fourth year had he not left. So yeah, even Raveling was a better coach.

Sick of all of you sycophants apologizing for bad coaching.

Last edited:
Tyler Sash alt, hey oldtimer WTF is that? Let's see.... Fran backed in to the tourney three years ago, won one game last year against a lower seed, won one game this year. They s*** the bed in B1G, fell apart yesterday, yeah....fire the coach. He can't coach.

All of the coaches you named above have gone further in the tourney. And by the way, Raveling made it two of the three years coaching here. And the NCAA didn't even expand to 64 until '85. And Raveling would have made it his fourth year had he not left. So yeah, even Raveling was a better coach.

Sick of all of you sycophants apologizing for bad coaching.

Why are you talking about ancient history? Tom Crean, Matt Painter, John Beilein, Thad Matta, Mark Turgeon, none of them could even "back into" the tournament for the last 3 years, they simple freaking missed the cut. George Raveling being a better coach? LOL, the guy could kill it on the recruiting front, but he couldn't outcoach my High School coach, don't make me laughy.

I'm sick of posters acting like petulant 12 year old children. Oh sorry, maybe that is what you are if you think George could coach.

No, I said Raveling was a better coach than Philly Fran. Raveling is in the Hall of Fame, do you honestly think Fran will be there? I love it when old farts cannot make a cogent argument and resort to name calling. You've done this before Dean, I feel sorry for you and the lonely, lonely life you must lead. I have to go to work now, you tell the people at the home Howdy for me will ya?

I really don't have any conclusions to draw from other than we had a group of kids that did the best they could. Fran is just missing a couple of pieces of the puzzle for a much better line up than what we had. We need that guard that can take over, we need a better group of kids that are willing to bang and get 'boards....This group was either the "savior", or they were the "sinner"...each game was different. Maybe Fran needs to change his offense a little, hell, I don't know.....it was fun watching these kids fight and battle every game, too bad it ended the way it did. To all who seem to blast either Fran or isolate on players, remember, it's a team sport....you win and lose as a team.....There seems to be too many "I's" on here as posters, and not enough "we's".....The season is over, but for those coming back, they will work hard, and for the new one's coming in, better get yourself ready, this team needs you badly....

Windsorhawk, are you Fran's wife? What makes you think he can coach? He can recruit, he is one of the worst game coaches that I have seen. This program, is the third best in this state....... there is no excuse for that. We can and we should do better, this loser mentality of settling for mediocrity is astounding. "Well it could be worse, it could be Lickliter." Yes and it can be Lute, or Ralph Miller, or even Raveling and Mr. Davis. Quit settling losers.
Go take a look at the record of BoneG coaches that have been hired since Fran came to Iowa. All of them are worse than Fran. Hiring a new coach is a major crap shoot with really poor odds.

No, I said Raveling was a better coach than Philly Fran. Raveling is in the Hall of Fame, do you honestly think Fran will be there? I love it when old farts cannot make a cogent argument and resort to name calling. You've done this before Dean, I feel sorry for you and the lonely, lonely life you must lead. I have to go to work now, you tell the people at the home Howdy for me will ya?

I hope you don't lose your job. Dean and I expected you to deliver our newspapers early this morning. I hope your bicycle isn't in the shop forcing you to walk your route today. We've been stuck playing dominoes all day here at the home watching Hee Haw reruns.

I realize that anyone over 21 seems old to you, and I'm sure you will learn to control your temper tantrums and relate to the real world when you hit puberty.

I hope you don't lose your job. Dean and I expected you to deliver our newspapers early this morning. I hope your bicycle isn't in the shop forcing you to walk your route today. We've been stuck playing dominoes all day here at the home watching Hee Haw reruns.

[video=youtube;cPm1Zy6lBus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPm1Zy6lBus[/video]

I agree, the team didn't overachieve for the first 2/3 of the season. They overachieved for the middle 1/3 of the season.

Remember after the ISU game how everyone was saying this team wouldn't even make the NCAA's?? Our non conference we played like a bubble team. The middle 1/3 (for 11 games) we played like a top 3 seed. Then the last 1/3 of the season we played like a bubble team. So about 2/3 of the season we were what we were, and the middle 1/3 we played over our talent level.

That is my opinion, I know many won't share it, but that is what I think when I look back at the season as a whole.

Offenses are designed to get good looks at the basket. Either inside or out. You can take a mediocre bunch of D-1 players, get them to commit to understanding and executing an offense. Proper passing, cutting, screening and spacing are all things any average high school player can learn. If they do these things, they will get good looks at the basket.
We did those things. And we're very efficient and effective when we did them. Everyone looks at the 3 PT shooting % then vs now. That's only relevant if you understand why they went down hill. Any decent shooter will shoot better when they are wide open vs contested. When you execute an offense, you get open shots. You move the ball until you get an open shot. When you don't move the ball, you are easy to defend and most shots are contested = poor shooting %.
If I had the time, I could break down every game and count how many open vs contested shots. I can almost guarantee you the count of each will shift considerably from the the previous 22 or 23 games, compared to the last 10.

The haters keep invoking Lute, Ralph and Mr. Davis. (Remember that Raveling was basically run out of town by the fan base at the time, mostly due to criticism of his outside interests and his skin color.)

Ralph had peaked and was trending down. Mr. Davis, after starting at a high level was trending down except for the last season (it was announced it would be his last season before it started). Lute peaked in the middle of his years at Iowa; I remember many wanting to run Lute out of town due to losing to Wichita St in the tournament (by trying to stall the entire second half away).

It seems the farther back in history our former coaches get, the greater they were.

Latest posts